Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Punchy71
Punchy71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How do I put .pdf files on Paperwhite Kindle?

I recently bought an Amazon Kindle Paperwhite and was wanting to move some .pdf book files from my laptop to it. How do I do that?

Thank you
Punchy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
How do I put .pdf files on Paperwhite Kindle?

I've never read a PDF on my Kindle Paperwhite but I think it's just like any other ebook. If I'm correct, you just have to use Calibre to transfer it to your Kindle. Or you can just drag and drop the PDF file to the 'documents' folder found in the root of the Kindle when connected to the laptop.

The Paperwhite can read PDF files natively, this means that you won't have to convert the file. You won't be able to change the font size, line spacing, etc. if you want these features, you're going to have to convert the PDF file to AZW3.

Last edited by Gazella; 05-16-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Notrega
Notrega began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite / Fire
You can send the pdf file to your kindle email with "convert" in the subject of the email and it will convert it for you. It has a tendency to jack some of the graphics if you are converting a textbook for example. I had several pdfs I had to read for a class and did't want to print and carry a thousand pages. The convert bit worked well on my Fire, no reason it shouldn't work on the PW.
Notrega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just hook the PW to your computer via USB and drag the PDF's to the Documents folder.

If you want to convert them to another format (if the PDF's don't display to your liking) there are dozens of threads here where you'll find all kinds of tips to get the best conversions.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's perhaps worth adding the caveat that PDFs will rarely convert cleanly to another format. A PDF document doesn't actually contain text (unless there's a searchable text layer in it, but that's a different thing entirely); it simply contains drawing instructions of the form "draw this shape at these coordinates". If you do need to convert a PDF to a "proper" eBook format, an OCR program is often the best way to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Harry T is right.... PDFs on Ebook readers....do not compute.... better to use Calibre.... if not.. Print out book and carefully cut said pages to fit onto kindle screen... use post it notes to hold paper in front of screen... remove page after each reading of page...detach..reapply new page....or better yet...use calibre convert the pdf to .mobi via Calibre (.mobi is the standard Amazon format)....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote