Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #856
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Halfway through The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith(Jk Rowling) now its getting more interesting took a while to warm up. I like the fact that she's set this one in the author/publishing world.
Haven't read it yet, but you know what they always say - write what you know. And few authors can pass up an opportunity to dis publishers.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #857
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I'm listening to The Map That Changed the World: William Smith and the Birth of Modern Geology, written and read by Simon Winchester. I don't read much non-fiction, but I have found Winchester's books very appealing. This is the third of his books that I have listened to and I heartily recommend them. I don't know how common it is that an author reads/records his own books, but I find that Winchester reads as well as any professional reader/narrator.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #858
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I'm listening to The Map That Changed the World: William Smith and the Birth of Modern Geology, written and read by Simon Winchester. I don't read much non-fiction, but I have found Winchester's books very appealing. This is the third of his books that I have listened to and I heartily recommend them. I don't know how common it is that an author reads/records his own books, but I find that Winchester reads as well as any professional reader/narrator.
I have most of his books, both in ebook and audio. I love them. He really is the perfect narrator for his own books. I love the way he weaves his personal experiences into many of his books. The first book I ever read by him was Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883. That's an excellent read as well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #859
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished Democracy and Education: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Education by John Dewey while I was outside trimming the crepe myrtles. A fascinating book by this influential pragmatist philosopher. This is one that I plan to re-read as an e-book, perhaps before the year is out. This is one of the books for which one reading won't suffice. There is much material here that needs to be "chewed and digested" to borrow a phrase from Francis Bacon.

Quote:
.....The experimental method is new as a scientific resource—as a systematized means of making knowledge—though as old as life as a practical device. Hence it is not surprising that men have not recognized its full scope. For the most part, its significance is regarded as belonging to certain technical and merely physical matters. It will doubtless take a long time to secure the perception that it holds equally as to the forming and testing of ideas in social and moral matters. Men still want the crutch of dogma, of beliefs fixed by authority, to relieve them of the trouble of thinking and the responsibility of directing their activity by thought. They tend to confine their own thinking to a consideration of which one among the rival systems of dogma they will accept. Hence the schools are better adapted, as John Stuart Mill said, to make disciples than inquirers.
..........— John Dewey (1859–1952); Democracy and Education: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Education (1916), Chapter Twenty-five: "Theories of Knowledge."
But for now it's back to discovering what's so wise about Father Brown. It's too bad Librivox has only the first two books in Chesterton's Father Brown series, but on the plus side, HEY EVERYBODY! LIBRIVOX HAS THE FIRST TWO BOOKS IN THE FATHER BROWN SERIES!!! (Sorry for shouting. I get excited sometimes. )
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #860
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just finished Democracy and Education: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Education by John Dewey while I was outside trimming the crepe myrtles. A fascinating book by this influential pragmatist philosopher. This is one that I plan to re-read as an e-book, perhaps before the year is out. This is one of the books for which one reading won't suffice. There is much material here that needs to be "chewed and digested" to borrow a phrase from Francis Bacon...
This sounds interesting, would you say it's better to read the ebook before listening to the audiobook?
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #861
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Listening "Genghis Khan and the making of modern world" by Jack Weatherford, narrated by Jonathan Davis. It's been a fascinating read describing the making of Mongolian rule and it's influence on rest of the world. I was really mesmerised by the life of Genghis Khan. His innovative tactics on battlefield such as using propaganda, gossips, rumours to create fear in the enemy, use of attacked states population as shield and also as means of further causing strain on resources was really amazing. Sadly I don't much about Chinese and Mongolian history to appreciate all the details but this book is definitely a start in that area.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #862
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished How Firm a Foundation, Safehold #5. Better. But the reports for #6 are less promising, and it's yet another reader, Kevin T. Collins. Mr. Collins can be quite a good reader, but he's uneven. Hopefully this is one of his good books.

Also listening to Broken Homes, #4 of the Peter Grant/Rivers of London series. I'm really enjoying this series a lot, and the reader for it is a new one for me, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith. And he's absolutely perfect for the books. Highly recommended.
Finished both of these. I have to say, Kevin T. Collins reading of How Firm a Foundation was not one of my favourites of his. Too overly dramatic in inappropriate places, for one thing. But overall, acceptable.

The reading of Broken Homes, by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, was positively inspired. His reading adds substantially to my enjoyment of the books, and that's rare. The whole series, starting with Midnight Riot has been a real joy, and a major surprise. Highly recommended.

Now reading the last (so far) of the Safehold series, Like a Mighty Army, read by the original reader of the series, Oliver Wyman. I must say, I definitely prefer his reading to all the others who have been involved in this series.

I'm also reading the first (in pub order) of the Recluse series, The Magic of Recluse, by L.E. Modisett. Read by Kirby Heyborne. This will be a slow read, since I'm restricting myself to reading while I swim.

Last edited by CRussel; 07-09-2014 at 11:01 AM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #863
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Listening "Genghis Khan and the making of modern world" by Jack Weatherford, narrated by Jonathan Davis. It's been a fascinating read describing the making of Mongolian rule and it's influence on rest of the world. I was really mesmerised by the life of Genghis Khan. His innovative tactics on battlefield such as using propaganda, gossips, rumours to create fear in the enemy, use of attacked states population as shield and also as means of further causing strain on resources was really amazing. Sadly I don't much about Chinese and Mongolian history to appreciate all the details but this book is definitely a start in that area.
I've got that one as an ebook. My basic issue with the book is that facts are pretty thin on the ground when it comes to Genghis Khan. Most of Weatherford's book is based on a document known as "The Secret History of the Mongols" of somewhat questionable origins. Weatherford isn't really a historian per se, but rather is an anthropologist. My basic take on the book is that Weatherford, true to his training, is a bit more trusting towards oral traditions than I feel comfortable with. It's a well written, readable book for sure.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #864
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
This sounds interesting, would you say it's better to read the ebook before listening to the audiobook?
I'll let you know after I read the e-book, but I suspect—for me anyway—that reading is better. Distractions seem to pop up with greater frequency when listening, although it's also true that sometimes when listening to a book I pick up on things I might have missed while reading. One thing is certain: it's much easier to highlight passages on a Kindle than it is on an iPod nano. :d
Old 06-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #865
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

I have listened to audiobooks after reading (most of the time) and read after listening. Like many people, I process things differently based on reading verse listening, so I tend to pick different things up in each mode. I tend to focus more when I read than when I listen.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #866
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Just finished the Librivox recording of The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. This was a dramatic performance by very good readers, although the volume of the audio tended to vary considerably from speaker to speaker.

Wilde always created worlds of the type that are always interesting places to visit, but in which few would want to live. Likewise, most of his characters are people I'd love to know as long as I didn't have to live with them. The feeling that every witticism one encounters must be parried with an equally clever witticism would, after a while, become unbearably tedious. It's much better to see such people at a social gathering and be entertained by their charm and clever conversation, then go home to rest and leave them to dazzle others with their wit.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #867
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just finished the Librivox recording of The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. This was a dramatic performance by very good readers, although the volume of the audio tended to vary considerably from speaker to speaker.
I believe the nano has a mono setting under accessibility.
BenG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #868
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I believe the nano has a mono setting under accessibility.
It does, but I've never used it. Perhaps I should try it and see how it does. Thanks for the idea.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:09 AM   #869
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Halfway through The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith(Jk Rowling) now its getting more interesting took a while to warm up. I like the fact that she's set this one in the author/publishing world.
Still listening to The Silkworm but wanted to let you all know how much I'm loving it! I usually only listen to books when I'm driving or out walking but have found myself putting this one on while at home which I rarely do(only other books I've done this for are The passage and Ready Player One)

I still have no idea whodunit usually I'm pretty good at figuring these things out before the author reveals it. I'm finding that I don't particularly care who it was because the greatness of this book is not the mystery but the main characters of Strike and Robin whom I adore. Both characters are so well written I'm finding myself wanting to spend as much time with them as possible even the secondary characters who are part of this books mystery are all very well drawn.

On one hand I can't wait to get to the conclusion and find it all come together(hopeful nicely I hate out of the blue reveals) on the other hand I really don't want my time with Cormoran Strike to end
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:37 AM   #870
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
The Shining. The narrator is fantastic and really captures the essence of The Overlook and the craziness of Jack, although not as good as Jack Nicholson in his stellar performance in the movie.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations