Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
icq70610
Enthusiast
icq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enough

Device: PSR505
Sony Reader new Device ... upcomming .. ??

Hi all,

i know that sony just came out with T1/T2 but is there anybody that heard some rumors about the upcoming Reader ( should be next year August ) ... ???

i looked up the normal places starting with google ;-)

but no new info ... i want to buy a new one and Im kind of looking forward for a glow device but im not going to get a kindle or a kobo ...

kindle --> mobi for me no go
kobo --> seriously ... not a device i would like to have ( even if its a good one ... ) burned history with an older kobo device and non english characters (kobo-fixer)

so anybody any rumors ???

The Joker
icq70610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
kar120c
kar120c began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 fw 1.0.05.11130
Yes, rumours gives a new device availbale in spring/summer 2013, lighted screen I hope and not over priced like the T1 and T2
kar120c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Woohoo, I'm definitely interested in a 'lit' Sony!!
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'm wondering what's so bad about kobo's the mini one I bought my dad really impressed me, it actually made my T1 look like an old dinosaur I was almost tempted to keep it.

I'll see what his reaction is to it after a while but I really thought it was sleek, I'm thinking about a glo for myself now.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
kar120c
kar120c began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 fw 1.0.05.11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I'm wondering what's so bad about kobo's the mini one I bought my dad really impressed me, it actually made my T1 look like an old dinosaur I was almost tempted to keep it.

I'll see what his reaction is to it after a while but I really thought it was sleek, I'm thinking about a glo for myself now.
Why a T1 looks like a dinosaur compared to the Kobo Mini?
kar120c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar120c View Post
Why a T1 looks like a dinosaur compared to the Kobo Mini?
Weight shape and size mostly, The kobo mini actually felt a good bit faster as well on the menu's which it really shouldn't given the price difference.

I'm not saying it's a better ereader than the T1 as I haven't read on it but my first impressions were it was just as good looked better and was less than half the price.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Weight shape and size mostly,
You do realize that the T1 is a 6in device, whereas the kobo mini is a 5in device, right?

There had BETTER be a difference in weight, shape and size!
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
You do realize that the T1 is a 6in device, whereas the kobo mini is a 5in device, right?

There had BETTER be a difference in weight, shape and size!
I'm saying despite the size the T1 looks a bit stupid beside one with the huge bezel and buttons wasting space, it's also way to square, sharp, shiny in comparison.

I'm on my second T1 but from what I've seen of it the Kobo mini does as good a Job (even has far better font/formatting options) the screen even looks whiter, it also lets you read the books metadata without opening the book which to me is a killer feature, not to mention more filetypes supported for less than half the price.

I've a feeling my next reader will be a Kobo unless Sony seriously up their game, everything I've toyed with on it was just a lot more thought out.

Last edited by Teknikal; 01-01-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
DarkGuyver
DarkGuyver began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
If the next generation Sony eReader is going to feature a glo light and is more affordable than their previous new release, I may consider upgrading my Sony-PRS-350 when it's released.
DarkGuyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
liwei2012
liwei2012 shines like a glazed doughnut.liwei2012 shines like a glazed doughnut.liwei2012 shines like a glazed doughnut.liwei2012 shines like a glazed doughnut.liwei2012 shines like a glazed doughnut.liwei2012 shines like a glazed doughnut.liwei2012 shines like a glazed doughnut.liwei2012 shines like a glazed doughnut.liwei2012 shines like a glazed doughnut.liwei2012 shines like a glazed doughnut.liwei2012 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Woohoo, I'm definitely interested in a 'lit' Sony!!
Just in case everyone forgot, Sony has already released a "Lit" reader back in 2008, albeit with many flaws.
http://gizmodo.com/5097999/sony-prs+...l-improvements

Last edited by liwei2012; 01-04-2013 at 06:27 PM.
liwei2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by liwei2012 View Post
Just in case everyone forgot, Sony has already released a "Lit" reader back in 2008, albeit with many flaws.
I don't think anyone forgot. Sony tried to be innovative, it just turned out that the idea of lit eInk wasn't ready for prime time. Their mistake might have been in going ahead and releasing it, but I'm not sure as I don't know what their sales numbers looked like. I know a couple of people that still have 700's and use them all the time for reading in bed, they jsut use something else the rest of the time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by liwei2012 View Post
I'm still in the market for a lit Sony - after I've checked it out of course.

My 650 is such a solid device in software and feel that I prefer it to the Glo, which I just find tacky.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I just bought a Kobo Mini, but if Sony get their act together with the next release, I would be interested.
The Mini is great, but I feel like I'm betraying Sony somehow I guess that's because I got so used to the 650 handling that it became *the* way to use an eReader to me.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #14
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I gave my Kobo Glo to my husband and bought a Kobo Mini for my daughter, but right now it would take a front-lit Sony Reader for me to budge from my PRS-T1. And I do hope they come out with one!
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
I gave my Kobo Glo to my husband and bought a Kobo Mini for my daughter, but right now it would take a front-lit Sony Reader for me to budge from my PRS-T1. And I do hope they come out with one!
I hope so, too....with a less square look to it, would be nice. But that is a minor issue, for me. The T1 would be so perfect with a front light. (T2 also, though I don't have one of those, I am sure it is just as good).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote