Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #31
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
New version: 1.0.11

Hi everyone,

I just updated EPub Metadata Editor.

Recent changes:
  • Minor changes to better handle some fields (including description, publisher, identifier)

Sincerely,
Ben.
BenChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #32
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

New version: 1.0.12

Hi everyone,

There was a bug in version 1.0.11 that caused data to be lost from the Description field, so here's version 1.0.12 to fix it and introduce a couple of new features:

Latest Update: The current version is 1.0.12
Recent Changes:
  • More robust handling of metadata
  • Fix for previous changes to Description resulting in potential loss of data
  • Date and Identifier's optional attributes (respectively 'event' and 'scheme') can now be edited

If these changes have introduced further bugs, don't hesitate to let me know!

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #33
Rowniee
Rowniee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I downloaded you editor but whenever I save I get an error?

Last edited by Rowniee; 03-26-2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: adding picture
Rowniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #34
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowniee View Post
Hi Rowniee,

It is hard to tell what is causing the error, but I am guessing it is because you have said the book is part of a series, but you have not included a series index as well. Try putting "1" in the "Series index" field and see if the error goes away.

If that is the cause, then I can add a check so that the error is dealt with properly in the future!

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:09 AM   #35
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowniee View Post
Hi Rowniee,

I did some testing of my own and was able to replicate the error and (better still) track down the cause. Look for a new version shortly...

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:21 AM   #36
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

New version: 1.0.13

Hi everyone,

There was a bug in version 1.0.12 that caused the program to crash on saving if there was no event type in the Date field, so here's version 1.0.13 to fix that and a couple of other minor issues:

Latest Update: The current version is 1.0.13
Recent Changes:
  • Fix for program crash on saving if Date has no event type.
  • Fixed the tab stop order so that pressing TAB moves sequentially through fields and buttons
  • Date and Identifier field boxes resize properly when event/scheme types are added or removed

If these changes have introduced further bugs, don't hesitate to let me know!

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #37
Montyp535
Zealot
Montyp535 began at the beginning.

Device: (former) Ebookwise 1150, PB 302, (now) PB 612, PB Touch, HTC DesireS
at first: nice program, often in use by ma selfmade epubs...

but:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenChen View Post
New version: 1.0.10
[*] New: Cover image prioritisation
but: why must the 0000Cover.* by priorising the cover have the original size - not a thumb? it blows the the size of the epub, if there ist a cover with 500 kb or more - an idea would be a button for resizing before the file is saved in the epub. (f.i. resize? - max-height? - or a suggested fix size)
Montyp535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #38
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montyp535 View Post
at first: nice program, often in use by ma selfmade epubs...

but:

but: why must the 0000Cover.* by priorising the cover have the original size - not a thumb? it blows the the size of the epub, if there ist a cover with 500 kb or more - an idea would be a button for resizing before the file is saved in the epub. (f.i. resize? - max-height? - or a suggested fix size)
Hi Montyp535,

It's a good idea, but the reason for the current approach is it was simpler just to copy the image file directly. However, it might be possible to add a library that handles image resizing. But it would have to handle all possible formats that can be book covers: jpg, png, gif, etc... If I can find the time, I might do some further research.

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #39
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenChen View Post
Hi Montyp535,

It's a good idea, but the reason for the current approach is it was simpler just to copy the image file directly. However, it might be possible to add a library that handles image resizing. But it would have to handle all possible formats that can be book covers: jpg, png, gif, etc... If I can find the time, I might do some further research.

Sincerely,
Ben.
Hi there,

Well, it turns out there is some image processing built-in to vb.net. So I have incorporated your suggestion. Underneath the "Prioritise cover file" button you will now see a checkbox that says "Resize to Thumbnail". Currently, you cannot select the size of the resulting thumbnail. It will generate a thumbnail of maximum 256x256, but it will retain the aspect ration of the original so chances are the width will be less than 256.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I trust this addition is useful!

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #40
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

New version: 1.0.14

Hi everyone,

Following a suggestion on this thread I have added the option to reduce the size of the cover image as it is being prioritised (for thumbnail/previews generated by CDisplayEx).

Then, while I was testing, I also found a problem with empty data fields which should now be handled appropriately.

Latest Update: The current version is 1.0.14
Recent Changes:
  • Added option to resize cover on prioritise
  • Better handle empty data fields

As always, if you find a bug please let me know!

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:00 AM   #41
Montyp535
Zealot

coooool!! thanx! I'll try it...
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #42
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

New version: 1.0.16

Hi everyone,

As happens sometimes, new changes bring about new bugs! So here's the latest version...

Latest Update: The current version is 1.0.16
Recent Changes:
  • Added code to better handle exception errors
  • Fix for reading date if blank (1.0.15)
  • Rearranged tab stops (1.0.15)

As always, if you experience a bug, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #43
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

New version: 1.0.17

Hi everyone,

Latest Update: The current version is 1.0.17
Recent Changes:
  • Added button: Swap 'Title' and 'Creator'

Sincerely,
Ben.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #44
Montyp535
Zealot

Hi Ben,

the thing with the resizing of the cover works fine - THX!!

another idea: what about a random filling (numbers/letters) of the identifier field, if it's empty (or a button for generating from some other thngs).
Because it's possible to get problems, if the field is filled with the same code - can happen, when you convert epubs by batch with atlantis word processor. the program fills the field with a date-time-code - but unfortunately it can happen when the books are small enough, that the code is in two books the same - and then some readers have problems with these books...

and the filed ISBN - can it replace the Type or Format? I think it's more used... (or can it used addditionally?)
Old 05-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #45
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montyp535 View Post
Hi Ben,

the thing with the resizing of the cover works fine - THX!!

another idea: what about a random filling (numbers/letters) of the identifier field, if it's empty (or a button for generating from some other thngs).
Because it's possible to get problems, if the field is filled with the same code - can happen, when you convert epubs by batch with atlantis word processor. the program fills the field with a date-time-code - but unfortunately it can happen when the books are small enough, that the code is in two books the same - and then some readers have problems with these books...

and the filed ISBN - can it replace the Type or Format? I think it's more used... (or can it used addditionally?)
Hi there,

Glad you like the image resizing.

I don't think I will do anything more with identifiers. The problem is that an opf file can have more than one identifier field. Currently, my program just grabs the first one it comes across. So if you want to edit the ISBN and it doesn't show up, just manually edit the opf file and move the ISBN identifier above the other identifier. Then it should show up OK.

Sincerely,
Ben.