Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
GyroGearloose23
GyroGearloose23 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Which E-Book reader for college kid in UK next month?

She wants to read during the long commute and suggested the latest Kindle Graphite.
Me thinks, some reading of textbooks and highlighting, annotating, note taking, searching her library and later continue on her Windows laptop would be nice.
Would the Kindle fit the bill? Or?

Cheers
GyroGearloose23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
May I say iPAD would be better? If she plans to read a lot - then Kindle DX would be better.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I would think that an ipad might be a bit big and heavy for reading on a commute (although some people do). The Kindle is small and light. And a quarter of the price. So, if she just wants a reader, mainly for the commute, I think that the Kindle is an excellent choice.

The DX is not yet available in the UK, although you can get it from the US, but I would wait and see what they do with updates to that to bring it in line with the 6" models.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
I don't think that smaller Kindle being perfect for fiction books would be enough for textbooks, and DX is approximately the same format and weight as iPAD. For student iPAD is better as it could be used not only for book reading.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
GyroGearloose23
GyroGearloose23 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Great forum. Thx to all
We have settled on the Kindle 3
-formfactor and weight for commute
-text books will be read at home on thinkpad
-available now
-slates are bound to get better
now Amazon only needs to deliver