Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Is it Worth converting PDF to MOBI ??

hi i have my Kindle 3 pre-ordered and i already have many books in PDF format and wondered if it was worth converting them to MOBI using caliber.
Im currently reading with my PC connected to my 47" LG LCD.

Will i be able to increase text size as well as change font type in mobi format or can you only do that with Kindles (AZW)

Apart from being able to book mark your place in the book, are there Any other benefits converting to MOBI ??

THANKS
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Osiyo
Osiyo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
My answer is "no."

Unless you are willing to deal with numerous formatting irregularities (even with fairly simple text-only PDFs), I would avoid it. One of the reasons I bought a DXG was to avoid the hassle.
Osiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
hi i have my Kindle 3 pre-ordered and i already have many books in PDF format and wondered if it was worth converting them to MOBI using caliber.
Im currently reading with my PC connected to my 47" LG LCD.

Will i be able to increase text size as well as change font type in mobi format or can you only do that with Kindles (AZW)

Apart from being able to book mark your place in the book, are there Any other benefits converting to MOBI ??

THANKS
yes, text-based mobi's allow font sizing. graphic-based mobi's behave like a pdf.

i agree with osiyo, but to clarify it slightly, it really depends on the individual pdf file. so try it and see what you think.
--
Alan
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
KayakerNC
Enthusiast
KayakerNC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Klassic (K1), Kindle 3 wifi & 3G, and Sony Pocket
You could always go to 2epub dot com or Calibre and do a conversion.
Then open the mobi version on Kindle for PC, just to see what it looks like. I'm thinking that for the most part, you won't be thrilled. But, hey, you might have a good one.
KayakerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Thanks for the answers.i have already converted 3x books with caliber and they seem to look ok when i read them with kindle PC.

Although i did not check them all the way through they seemed the same in layout as the PDF originals.
plus they saved some KB in size.

I did try a book with photos but that was a wash out as over half the photos did not show up.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert