Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
anywho
Connoisseur
anywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle
The forum is BROKEN

Ever had your session timed out on you and wrote a post without realizing that it did? Most forums recover and let you post. This form tells you to hit the back button which, in every case, makes you loose the post.

Can some admin look into this? It's very frustrating and I've had this happen multiple times. I just had it happen again.
anywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
It has never happened to me and I have left half-written posts for an hour or more while doing other stuff.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
I've had this happen on other message boards, but not this one yet. One work around might be to highlight and copy before you hit the 'submit' button, just in case. If it times out before your post makes it to the board, then you haven't lost what you posted, you can just try again and paste in what you wrote.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
I've found that if I check the box next to the user name box at log in that says remember me?, that won't happen. If I don't check that box, it ALWAYS happens.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
anywho
Connoisseur
anywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watch

I was browsing a forum. Went to sleep. Came back a8 hours later, posted something without refreshing the page. Met with login, logged in, got an error to hit the back button to resubmit. But the quick reply box to submit was empty when I came back to it.

Were these events similar to what happened to you? Either way, it's happened to me several times. I'm not lying so whether it doesn't happen to everyone is really irrelevant.
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
So, did you have "remember me" checked, or not?
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
anywho
Connoisseur

I'll check the remember me next time, and I'll copy and paste my response before hitting reply, but, you know, it's the times I forget, and have written something long which vanishes that are very frustrating.

Whatever workarounds there are are appreciated, but it still doesn't change that something's not right with the forum software :/
Old 10-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
If you click "Remember Me", you won't have to worry about it again unless you logout. I don't know how long the cookie lasts, but it's been *months* since I've had to login.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
I've found that if I check the box next to the user name box at log in that says remember me?, that won't happen. If I don't check that box, it ALWAYS happens.
That, of course, is the reason. It never occurred to me, since I clicked it when I first joined. Without it the forum will automatically log you out after a set period, as will just about every other forum I know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anywho View Post
Whatever workarounds there are are appreciated, but it still doesn't change that something's not right with the forum software :/
Not true, as most forums I'm registered with will do the exact same thing and do it on purpose.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by anywho View Post
They're in the process of upgrading/changing the forum software, so hopefully the new version will work better for you.

I've had this happen in other forums where I hadn't checked the remember me box.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
anywho
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
Not true, as most forums I'm registered with will do the exact same thing and do it on purpose.
If you're saying that they make you loose your entry on purpose then I think we live on different levels of expectations of what's a bug and what's a feature.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
It's been my experience that most internet sites will shut you down so to speak after a period of inactivity (aside from static typing) if you don't choose keep me signed in or some equivalent option that may be offered at sign-in. I think it's a feature for security reasons in most cases, kind of like a "Kill Switch" so that if you walk away from your computer, or you drop dead sitting there, someone doesn't come along and pretend to be you on that site (like on your bank site for instance).
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
This thread probably belongs in the "feedback" section (where it might be moved), but I can attest that I've had the same problem happen to me. Also, I always have the "remember me" option checked, so it's not that.

I think it only happens after quite a long time though. I set up threads for a book club here, and before, sometimes I would get certain threads ready ahead of time and then post them later when the time was right, and I encountered this problem if I waited too long after preparing the post. Needless to say, I don't do that anymore, and I also now, before I post, "select all" within the text of a future post and then save, just in case.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Clearly the new "Write It Today, But Post it Later in the Week" functionality is still a little bit buggy. Until such time as the kinks are worked out, might I suggest keeping the time period between clicking "Reply/Create New Thread" and "Post" as short as possible? Especially if you're not going to check the "Remember me" box and/or you've got your computer locked down so tight that the site can't drop the cookie that helps keep you logged in.

Also, my time posting things on the internet has taught me that if I'm in love with a response or post I've created, I should highlight and copy it before I hit the "Publish it to the World" button. Because shit goes wrong all the time ... and it's much easier for me to just "Paste" it all back in with a couple of keystrokes (when disaster strikes) than it is for me to convince forum/blog software developers/admins the world over to account for every possible weird thing that might happen on my end of the internet.

Pick and choose your battles.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-02-2013 at 02:26 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
There are a few sites where this happens more often than others, but it's never happened here at MobileRead for me. But if you use Firefox, try the addon Lazarus. Even if your browser crashes, you can recover all your text you typed but didn't submit through a right click menu with Lazarus. It's great, I've been using it for years.

I don't think there's anything wrong with any forum software. Some sites just log you out more often for safety reasons.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 10-02-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote