Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Highlight/Annotation compatibility Kobo/Calibre/Adobe Acrobat Pro

Hey folks, I will be doing a lot of traveling over the next few days, and due to time constraints, I need to do some work-related reading (with highlighting/annotating) on the train. I'm already aware that highlighting on the Glo/Touch is a major pain, but I have little choice, since my laptop's battery will not last long enough.

As far as compatibility is concerned, what options do I have (using Calibre or other program) in terms of viewing the highlights that I've already made on Adobe Acrobat Pro on my Glo and/or viewing viewing on Acrobat Pro the highlights I make on the glo? Does either/both work with pdfs? Does that change if I convert (using Calibre or other program) the pdf into epub? I don't have high hopes, but would like to know for sure.

I apologize if this has been covered and for not doing the experiment myself, but I'm really on a tight schedule here

Thanks in advance.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

The only experiment I've done gave me the following conclusion

- Acrobat highlights are visible (but very faintly) on the Glo.
- Annotations made on Acrobat (using the comment blurb) is not viewable on the Glo, because even though I can see the blurb icon, I can't click/open it.
- As far as I'm aware, there is no way to highlight or make annotations on the Glo for pdf.
- Calibre's pdf-epub conversion does not retain highlights/annotations.

Please let me know if I am misinformed about anything or if there are any workarounds. I would prefer pdf, to retain the formatting.

Last edited by kobokobe; 12-28-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have done some looking at annotations for epubs and kepubs, but not PDF. The basics for epubs are in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199937.

I thought text could be selected in some PDFs on the Glo, but my tests today show that it can't. The reader does let you create bookmarks by pressing the top right corner of the page. Notes can be added to these from the annotation list. A very quick test shows these are stored in an annot file just like for epubs. I have no idea if any other PDF reader will read these files and display the notes.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Kobokobe are you saying that Calibre's 'Fetch Annotations' doesn't work for your highlights and annontations?

When you plug your device into Calibre you'll find it under:

Send to device

Fetch Annotations (experimental) - it's the last entry

When I've used Fetch Annotations it's been successful - but - they've all been Epubs.

You'll find them in the Metadata section of Calibre - as part of the general book info where you see the synopsis etc of the book.

Not necessarily ideal place to be located but they are able to be amended and copied etc from there.

Let me know how you go and happy travels
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
kobokobe
I am what I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Kobokobe are you saying that Calibre's 'Fetch Annotations' doesn't work for your highlights and annontations?

Send to device

When I've used Fetch Annotations it's been successful - but - they've all been Epubs.

You'll find them in the Metadata section of Calibre - as part of the general book info where you see the synopsis etc of the book.

Not necessarily ideal place to be located but they are able to be amended and copied etc from there.

I was unaware of the fetch annotations function, is this to get annotations from Kobo?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Yes. Plug your kobo into your pc with calibre open, and then you'll find Fetch Annotations as per my prev post.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #7
kobokobe
I am what I am

Hmm, ideally I wanted to be able to work with pdf's, but if I cannot find a way in time, I will work with a converted epub, and transfer all the notes once I get back. Thanks!

Last edited by kobokobe; 12-29-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
dma61
dma61 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Annotations from Kobo to epub with calibre

Tried this -fetch annotations- but did not succeed yet. When i make annotation on my kobo and want to see them in the calibre epub reader it did not work untill now..
Do i have to do something else in settings.. How do i proceed to arrange this?

I have to store my annotations but loose them all the time after (re)storing my books from and to the kobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post

Send to device

dma61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma61 View Post
Tried this -fetch annotations- but did not succeed yet. When i make annotation on my kobo and want to see them in the calibre epub reader it did not work untill now..
Do i have to do something else in settings.. How do i proceed to arrange this?

I have to store my annotations but loose them all the time after (re)storing my books from and to the kobo.
It should just work. The annotations for any book on the device that is also in the library are appended to the comments field in calibre. I don't use the function as I don't like what it does. But, I have just tested it and it worked with no problems.

But, these can't be restored to the device. If you are reading epubs sideloaded to the main memory, it might be better to backup the annotations files. In my post above, there is a link to another thread that briefly discusses this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote