Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Did Google allow them to be put into a cart, or did you have to make 17 separate purchases? My CC company gets upset about multiple under-a-dollar purchases, and I hate to alarm them unduly!
No cart. I had 17 credit card charges for .99 each. I'll buy a gift card for myself for any future purchases.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #17
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, of course there are the apps and browser forgot to mention those. I didn't mention PDF because of the 33 books in my account (not counting a few public domain freebies) only one has PDF as a download option.
That's good to know. I've bought less than 10 books and all but 1 have PDF.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #18
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
No cart. I had 17 credit card charges for .99 each. I'll buy a gift card for myself for any future purchases.
Thanks. That's what I'll have to do if I decide to get a bunch of books from this sale.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #19
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Amazon has price matched Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye by Horace McCoy (author of They Shoot Horses, Don't They?).
Thanks for the info. That was one of the titles I was interested in.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #20
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
So far only 2 more have dropped to $.99:

Sex and the Single Girl by Helen Gurley Brown

and

Essays in Humanism by Albert Einstein.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #21
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
The .99 Banned Books are a fantastic bargain - all modern classics. It took a bit to figure it out, but then it was simple to download my 17 purchases to Adobe Digital Editions and then to my Nook. Had I purchased them at Amazon or Barnes & Noble the bill would have been about $140.
I agree it took a bit of effort to figure out how to download the ePubs...has Google changed their system recently, or am I just forgetting/losing my mind? I don't buy from them very often, so maybe I've just spaced out, but...

Anyway, in a bit more detail, so others don't lose their minds

Buy the book (it helps if you make sure you are logged into your own google account, and not your son's from last night )

Wait until the sale completes and you see a "read" button instead of a price button under the picture of the book. You may need to refresh your page...

Then DON'T click the "read" button. Seriously, don't! It will just take you to the web browser version.

Instead click on the "How to Read" tab and then page down until you see the red picture of an ereader with the "download ePub" button underneath. Then click either the picture or the button.

Not as hard to do as to write out, but it sure took me a long time to figure out I had to look under that "How to Read" tab...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #22
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a new set of apps.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #23
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Instead click on the "How to Read" tab and then page down until you see the red picture of an ereader with the "download ePub" button underneath. Then click either the picture or the button.
Good instructions. I found the How To Read tab by left-clicking the purchased book in MY BOOKS.

Then you just open Adobe Digital Editions, drag the epub (.acsm file) from your Downloads folder over to ADE, and then download to reader or to Calibre Library.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #24
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Was there a different set of books sold for 99 cents on the first day of the sale? I was just wondering why the link was labeled bannedbooks, when there are several that I doubt have ever been banned (like the Einstein and Sartre books).
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #25
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Same list I have seen, all along. It does vary by country, though.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #26
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Was there a different set of books sold for 99 cents on the first day of the sale? I was just wondering why the link was labeled bannedbooks, when there are several that I doubt have ever been banned (like the Einstein and Sartre books).
They weren't necessarily all banned in the US, and some were banned for political or religious reasons, as in your two examples above. Einstein basically refused to kowtow to Hitler's regime and his books were burned in Germany. Sartre was put on the "Prohibited Books Index" in France by the Catholic church.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #27
NightBird
Wizard

Amazon has price matched all of them now.

If anyone is getting The Confessions of Nat Turner by William Styron (novel based on 1821 slave uprising in Virginia), Nat Turner's own account is available in the public domain.

Amazon link - The Confessions of Nat Turner...