Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
LorenzL
LorenzL began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
PDF on the nook - a lost case?

When I bought the Nook, I was planning on viewing all those PDFs that had gathered on my laptop. For example I had downloaded the digital versions of a couple of Lonely Planet guides, magazines, etc.

It soon became obvious that there is no way to really view those PDFs properly on the nook. The screen is too small, there is no landscape mode, text reflow messes up most of the text. Even if the PDF is purely text, the conversion to epub via Calibre doesn't really work for me.

Do you think this is a software issue or is this just a problem we have to live with, because of the size of the Nook screen?
LorenzL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
This is an issue with PDFs and eBooks in general. It is not just the Nook, no current ebook reader handles PDFs well.

You see, a PDF is page oriented. It wants specify how an entire page looks. This is why when you view a PDF file on your laptop there are scroll bars on the window.

Ebooks are not page oriented. They want to re-flow the text. Unless your Ebook reader has a screen that is 8.5" x 11", the PDF is going to look terrible.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
If you softroot your Nook, you can load a 3rd party PDF viewer that allows for landscape mode and different zoom levels. Not perfect, but at least equivalent to PDF support on my Kindle.
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #4
LorenzL
LorenzL began at the beginning.

Thanks for the replies guys! Let's hope they upgrade it to be at least at the level of the Kindle then. Would be good if they made an app store... I don't want to soft root my Nook quite yet, don't want to void the guarantee. I just hope that the DRM free epub format starts to dominate a bit more. I'd hate if we get another proprietary format to dominate an industry...
LorenzL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Astro
Astro began at the beginning.

PDF on the nook - a lost case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle Addict View Post
If you softroot your Nook, you can load a 3rd party PDF viewer that allows for landscape mode and different zoom levels. Not perfect, but at least equivalent to PDF support on my Kindle.
Can you post a link to the PDF viewer? I'm not coming up with any that run on the nook and have the features you listed.

Thanks!
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Can you post a link to the PDF viewer? I'm not coming up with any that run on the nook and have the features you listed.

Thanks!
Sure; information and a download link can be found here.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Kindle Addict
kindict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzL View Post
Thanks for the replies guys! Let's hope they upgrade it to be at least at the level of the Kindle then. Would be good if they made an app store... I don't want to soft root my Nook quite yet, don't want to void the guarantee. I just hope that the DRM free epub format starts to dominate a bit more. I'd hate if we get another proprietary format to dominate an industry...
While not officially an app store, there is a NookMarket for softrooted Nooks. Quite handy to see what's available and to update any installed apps.

You can find out more and download here.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:38 AM   #8
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle Addict View Post
How does the zoom work? Well? I was thinking of using it for manga that is sometimes hard to read, is it good? I do plan on softrooting for coverflow already.
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:47 AM   #9
Kindle Addict
kindict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaEbooker View Post
How does the zoom work? Well? I was thinking of using it for manga that is sometimes hard to read, is it good? I do plan on softrooting for coverflow already.
It works ok - nowhere near zoom on the iPad, but you are able to choose a zoom level from several presets (auto, which does a best fit, and 25, 50, 60, 75, 90, 100, 115, and 125). It seems to do graphics very well, but I'm finding more and more books that aren't rendering properly.

The cover flow is great - nothing like it on an epaper display.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Thats good to hear, Just need a little zoom on some pages, not a constant thing...
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #11
vague_hit
vague_hit began at the beginning.

i wish i could softroot my nook just for the pdf viewer zoom but unfortunately I only bought it a week ago so I'm on 1.4.1! Can't wait until they manage to softroot that as well.
vague_hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I tried that aPDF app, and it works pretty well, I just don't like the fact they don't have page numbers....small problem when compared to not being able to read PDF's, so great job on that from the dev team!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook, pdf