Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
Reader frozen, help!

My prs300 is totally frozen! The day before yesterday, I was reading and got a low battery warning. It was late, so I plugged it in to charge overnight. I unplugged it the next morning and it showed a full battery. Later that day, I started reading, but noticed the font had been changed from small to medium. I switched it to large, then back to small... but when it was switching back to small, the screen flashed onto the home screen and I got a "loading" message with the little turning arrows. Well, it's stuck there. The arrows aren't turning anymore, it still says Loading... but nothing is happening.

I left it for a good hour with nothing. I tried to power it off, but it wouldn't turn off. I tried a hard reset (with the small reset button in the hole on the bottom) and that won't even shut it down.

Now what? It's been sitting there stuck on the loading home page for over 24 hours. I've periodically tried to power it off and reset it, but neither works. Is there anything else I can do?
*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It sounds like you've discharged your battery. Did you charge through USB on your computer? If so it is possible that whilst charging the computer went into energy saving mode and shut down the USB port, not charging the reader and possibly even discharging it.

Try charging it again, preferably using a PSP charger instead of USB.

Good luck!
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here are a few suggestions:

1. Try pushing the power button and holding it until it resets itself.

2. Push a paper clip end into the hole in the back while holding the power button.

3. Plug it in for an hour, then pull the USB without ejecting. (I hardly ever eject, but in your case, what could it hurt?)

4. Like Rumpelteazer said above, try charging it for 4 hours on an "active" computer without it going to screensaver or sleep mode. (People advocate the wall charger, but I've never bought one.) Here's the thing, after 2 hrs, pull the plug, let it settle itself, then replug it for the next 2 hrs. Works for me.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how this turns out.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
*Angie*
Bookish

Thanks for the replies. I charged it using the wall plug, not my computer. I'll try shutting it off with the power switch while holding in the reset and see if that works...
Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Angie* View Post
Thanks for the replies. I charged it using the wall plug, not my computer. I'll try shutting it off with the power switch while holding in the reset and see if that works...
When you say wall plug, are you referring to one of the plugs that accept the USB cable? If so, that won't work and you reader battery is still dead. In this case, fully charge your reader as described above and you should be fine.

If you're referring to the Sony Wall Charger or PSP Charger (they both plug into the round connector on the bottom of your reader), then you should have a full charge. In this case, you'll need to jump through the rest of the hoops mentioned above!
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
*Angie*
Bookish

Thanks Paul... I charged it using a PSP charger.

I tried the power + reset together and still nothing. I can't get it to shut down at all.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur
Momo_Germany began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 (great!!) +DX, Sony PRS-505,-700,-600 (dislike!), iPad
Hi Angie,

Sorry to read about your problems. I have things like that with my Sony Readers all the time. Really annoying.

In my cases it always helped to do what igorsk suggested me in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...+frozen&page=4 in posting #58 on Page 4.

Maybe this might help you too. Don't forget to save your ebooks as soon as you get your reader shown in your Computer before re-formatting.

Hope it helps, greetings from Germany,
Momo
Momo_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
yuye04
yuye04 began at the beginning.

Device: prs300
Hi, I have a Sony PRS 300, used only 2 days and then blank screen, I check the manual, maybe a battery problem, connect the USB cable and appears the screen Opening Book.
I made a lot of things to fix it, but no one get it.
I bought a PSP wall charger, charge for 20 hours and nothing happens, a red led flashes only few minutes and that's all. In the beginning of the problem I connected to USB charger without sucess, please If you have the same problem, let me know how did you solve it. Regards
yuye04 is offline   Reply With Quote