Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #16
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Just to be clear, is there some prohibition in promoting your own ebooks here or are you guys just ragging on Jill for the sport of it?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #17
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Just to be clear, is there some prohibition in promoting your own ebooks here or are you guys just ragging on Jill for the sport of it?

I'm not ragging on anyone. I read the first chapter of the book and I like it, I'm going to read the rest. I suppose the reaction was to the kind of out-of-nowhere posting, which is a favorite of the 'spammer' and ill-advised 'internet marketeer'.

What spammers and marketers don't get is that forums and social sites are communities of people. You have to introduce yourself and not just your product. That is a surefire way to be ignored, or arouse suspicion.

To Jill, if you're still hanging around, pop back in and tell us more. I'd love to know what gave you the idea and more about you as a writer
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #18
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
The point is that she is not open about the fact that she is the author, nothing else. No one ragged on Jill.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #19
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
The problem is that jillforest is promoting a book by "Anna Westwood", but from all the available evidence, Anna Westwood is Jill Forest. Just like Tracy Falbe, Steve Jordan, Chris Howard, April Hamilton, Simon/Spacejock, and Jeffrey Carver, she'd be welcome to promote her book and discuss it with the members of MobileRead.

But, by posting as if she were a person other than the author, she appears disingenuous. (By the way, dictionary.com says this: "The meaning of disingenuous has been shifting about lately, as if people were unsure of its proper meaning. Generally, it means "insincere" and often seems to be a synonym of cynical or calculating.")

Harry was just calling her to "fess up" and tell us that she is indeed the author. And, like Moejoe, I'd enjoy talking about the process of writing the book and getting it published. Steve Jordan has contributed a lot about his early struggle to break into the mainstream publishing scene and then deciding to just self-publish. Jeffrey Carver's postings about using his early books to promote the publication of the newest in the series have been very interesting, and we find that Carver has been actively promoting understanding of eBooks among the SFWA.

Come back Jill/Anna. Tell us more about your book than simply that it's free.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #20
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
The problem is that jillforest is promoting a book by "Anna Westwood", but from all the available evidence, Anna Westwood is Jill Forest. Just like Tracy Falbe, Steve Jordan, Chris Howard, April Hamilton, Simon/Spacejock, and Jeffrey Carver, she'd be welcome to promote her book and discuss it with the members of MobileRead.

But, by posting as if she were a person other than the author, she appears disingenuous. (By the way, dictionary.com says this: "The meaning of disingenuous has been shifting about lately, as if people were unsure of its proper meaning. Generally, it means "insincere" and often seems to be a synonym of cynical or calculating.")

Harry was just calling her to "fess up" and tell us that she is indeed the author. And, like Moejoe, I'd enjoy talking about the process of writing the book and getting it published. Steve Jordan has contributed a lot about his early struggle to break into the mainstream publishing scene and then deciding to just self-publish. Jeffrey Carver's postings about using his early books to promote the publication of the newest in the series have been very interesting, and we find that Carver has been actively promoting understanding of eBooks among the SFWA.

Come back Jill/Anna. Tell us more about your book than simply that it's free.
I don't even think its her fault either. I think she might have been informed by some unscruplous internet marketing guru how to go about getting publicity. That whole rigmarole of creating tons of accounts and trying to big yourself up as though you're lots of different people.

Or it could simply be that one is a pen-name, the other a real name? Writer's are shy creatures at best, and it might have been a way to deal with that?

We won't know until she returns, and I hope she does, because I'm enjoying her book so far (2 chapters in)

EDIT: Not chapters, Parts

Last edited by Moejoe; 03-14-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #21
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Just like Tracy Falbe, Steve Jordan, Chris Howard, April Hamilton, Simon/Spacejock, and Jeffrey Carver, she'd be welcome to promote her book and discuss it with the members of MobileRead.
Don't forget Richard Herley!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I'm enjoying her book so far (2 chapters in).
Same here, Moe. I'm also two chapters in and enjoying it. She certainly does let her thoughts jump around, doesn't she?
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #22
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post

I see I've "forgotten" to include my age, weight, and gender in my profile.

remember, what every woman needs is a big guy who sweats!
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:37 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Precisely. There's nothing wrong with coming here to promote your own book. But to pretend to be somebody else "recommending" it is disingenuous. If you're the author, be honest about it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #24
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Precisely. There's nothing wrong with coming here to promote your own book. But to pretend to be somebody else "recommending" it is disingenuous. If you're the author, be honest about it!
Okay, gotcha.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Just to be clear with my answer, when someone self-promotes his or her own book, a full disclosure is helpful in avoiding the kind of observations being posted right now.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 AM   #26
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Well, all I can say is that I deleted it by page two. I,m not one who is thrilled to have the F word used in every other sentence. Sorry, not my cup of tea.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Well, all I can say is that I deleted it by page two. I,m not one who is thrilled to have the F word used in every other sentence. Sorry, not my cup of tea.
The word "fuck," with a huge number of variants, occurs 192 times in this book.

I don't mind the word "fuck," but the language does seem to rely heavily on this word.

Don
Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #28
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The word "fuck," with a huge number of variants, occurs 192 times in this book.

I don't mind the word the word "fuck," but the language does seem to rely heavily on this word.

Don
Seems quite normal to me as a UK citizen. The word has lost its profane overtones in many places in the UK and is as commonplace as 'bugger' 'crap' 'shit' and 'bastard'.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Seems quite normal to me as a UK citizen. The word has lost its profane overtones in many places in the UK and is as commonplace as 'bugger' 'crap' 'shit' and 'bastard'.
The word doesn't bother me at all, either. I'm just wondering if it is indeed reflective of the character's mindset, or a laxity in creative writing.

I have no plans to read the book - but not because of the language. There are other titles I'd rather read.

Don
Old 03-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #30
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The word doesn't bother me at all, either. I'm just wondering if it is indeed reflective of the character's mindset, or a laxity in creative writing.

I have no plans to read the book - but not because of the language. There are other titles I'd rather read.

Don
I'm quite enjoying the book, and I think the word fits the character portrayed, it comes of as 'real' to me in any case. Each to their own I guess, my grandfather's favourite profanity was 'Hell's Bells and Chocolate Biscuits'