Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
Lima_dat
English ppl ride potatoe?
Lima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Formatting epic poems with line numbers?

What is the best way, or is it even feasible, to format epic poems with line numbers? Any other poetry formatting tips or advice would be appreciated.
Lima_dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It depends what format you're talking about.

If you're creating MobiPocket books, you could do it as a 2-column HTML table, with the text in the left column and the line number in the right. Make the table's borders invisible.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
How are you planning to use the epic poems you format? If it is for personal use, I'd go with the KISS principle and create the book in Word, having Word number the lines, in a page size that is compatible with my Cybook, then print it to a PDF file.

I won't buy any DRM PDF files, but I create them all the time for my personal use.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
Puffball
Puffball doesn't litterPuffball doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
How geeky are you? You have to be somewhat technical to use it, but EMACS is the daddy of all text-manipulation programs. It has its own macro language that you can use to accomplish just about anything. The finished file is in .txt format, so you can then feed it into Word or whatever else you like.

Although EMACS is a Unix editor (with its own fans, mortal enemies of Vi fans ) it has been ported to lots of other operating systems. I've used MicroEMACS on a DOS PC and GnuEMACS on Mac's Darwin via the Terminal. If you have a Linux computer it's even easier - probably you've already got a copy in your distro.
Puffball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I'd use (pdf)latex with a package like "texnika" (http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macr...trib/technica/), but even the defaulte "verse" of "memoir" (http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help...es/memoir.html) can do that.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert