Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Mass import of ISBNs

I've like to set up a new Calibre library to store details of our paper book collection. I've noticed that Calibre can have records that don't have e-books, so I intend to use those.

I'd like to enter the ISBNs in bulk, then use the bulk download metadata feature to get the metadata.

Can anyone tell me how I can bulk import a load of ISBNs, creating a new record for each?
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Click the arrow next to 'Add Books' button > 'Add from ISBN'
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
That's exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't expecting it to be that easy, though

avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:33 AM   #4
malfi
malfi began at the beginning.

It's not the very same problem, but would it be possible to have a button to let calibre check the first few pages of a newly added ebook for an isbn and download the metadata by isbn for that ebook automagically?

My workflow usually looks like this: open ebook, go to page 3, copy isbn, edit meta-data, paste isbn, click get meta-data... kind of slow and annoying...
malfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:37 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfi View Post
My workflow usually looks like this: open ebook, go to page 3, copy isbn, edit meta-data, paste isbn, click get meta-data... kind of slow and annoying...
Just as a heads-up: Calibre uses only the ISBN, if one is present, to lookup metadata. Only if there is no ISBN, it tries to find a match by using author and title.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
eruditionastic
Enthusiast
eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: G090G1 5.9.7 G090G1 5.10.2
Quote:
It's not the very same problem, but would it be possible to have a button to let calibre check the first few pages of a newly added ebook for an isbn and download the metadata by isbn for that ebook automagically?

You would think that this is one of the most basic features that calibre could have. I was totally shocked that calibre doesn't do this. I spent a few days trying to find some way calibre did, because I really couldn't believe it didn't have such a feature and I knew I was just missing it...I was wrong about how wrong I was.

Alas, you are right. It doesn't, and you must resort to the painfully time consuming manual process you described, or use scripts written by someone else.

What you can do is go here: http://blog.mekk.waw.pl/

and look at the second post. Follow the dirs. also run a search for "mekk" here on these forums. Also, ask the calibre creator to add this basic functionality in, if possi
eruditionastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
malfi
malfi began at the beginning.

Push

Please add the calibre_guess_and_add_isbn feature to calibre-mainstream!
malfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Please add the calibre_guess_and_add_isbn feature to calibre-mainstream!
In the past Kovid hasn't wished to add this to the processing overhead already associated with adding books. But who knows things could always change.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
eruditionastic
Enthusiast
eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: G090G1 5.9.7 G090G1 5.10.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
In the past Kovid hasn't wished to add this to the processing overhead already associated with adding books. But who knows things could always change.
So add a preference if you want the behavior or not - set the default to No, and voila, overhead excuse gone. Only people who want to trade a few seconds of overhead processing time for dozens of hours of manual labor will have to endure the extra few seconds of processing time.

Honestly, that doesn't really make sense as a reason given how trivial it is. There must be more to the story. Because, as you can see, it's a pretty silly [non]reason
eruditionastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:39 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Now that post really made me eager to implement this feature, well done.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote