Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #16
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetroses View Post
today i went to best buy, target, and a bookstore, and know one in any of the stores had any idea of what a sony reader was. i had to explain what it did and they insisted that they had no such thing in the store. i walked out disappointed, because i wanted to hold one in my hand and check it out. all the store have this reader online on their website, but not in the store yet. even though this device has been out for a couple years, no one has a clue. well i am still searching and hoping i find one soon.
You may need to check a different Target store. I have been to 3 of them and 2 stores had a few readers and only a few accessories. You may be able to find them in a Borders Books if you have one near you. I have never seen them in Best Buy. Wal-Mart also has the Sony listed online but as far as I know you won't find any in stores.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #17
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
I checked my local target and Nadda on the reader or the accessories. My Target is a smaller neigborhood target as opposed to a greatland or regional target. I am quite sure that the Greatland and regional area targets would probably be the first to stock the Sony product line. My target does not have a garden department like all of the other Targets that I have been too, and it is part of a shared strip with a Staples, etc as opposed to a standalone structure.

My target didn't even have a display area set up yet - unless I just missed it, but I went specifically for the purpose of hunting out the display so I'm sure that I didn't miss it. Probably the best suggestions is for the someone who know that the unit is stocked at their Target to write down the SKU/Stock number and post it here in Mobileread. This number should be good across NA and any clerk worth their weight in salt should be able to look the number up via their PDA or computer. I'm not sure if the online SKU would be the same as the in store SKU.

Also the SKU for the Book light cover would be nice as well as I'm quite interested in this solution.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #18
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I just got home from a visit to my local Target. The display isn't up yet, but the guy in the electronics section knew about the Reader and even offered to go in the back room and get some information for me. I was impressed, but didn't ask for the information since he was busy.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #19
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
You can go to the Target Site and see if it is available at a store in your area.

http://www.target.com/Sony-Reader-Di...0reader&page=1
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #20
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
You can go to the Target Site and see if it is available at a store in your area.

I did that before I left the office. It says the Reader is available at my store. Because of that information, I was a little surprised not to find the display.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #21
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
"You can go to the Target Site and see if it is available at a store in your area."

Either the Target Site is inaccurate or the store in my area has not put the units on the floor yet. Target online shows all of the stores in my area have the units available, but I went to two stores today and neither store had the unit or accessories on display.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post

All 10 stores brought up when I put in my zip code say available. Well done Massachusetts.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #23
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Of the 7 stores in NH, all but one show the reader as "Available." The exception shows "Limited Availability." I won't have a chance to check the store nearest me until later this week, but I wouldn't be too surprised to get there and find no evidence yet of Readers, based on what other people are reporting.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:20 PM   #24
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I've been to two Targets the last couple days and found nothing. I had a printout of the CNet announcement and a printout of the Target site showing stock on hand. The checker said they hadn't set up the display yet and called the stock room to check but they didn't have any accessories or gift cards yet.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Well, those of you wishing to purchase a Sony at Borders who have Chase credit cards, there is a 30% off list price for one item promotion through Sept. 21. The code I received via email for use at checkout is CAP0908. I have a feeling this code is different for every card holder because this looks like it's tied to my zip code. I'm posting it just in case I'm wrong. Check your email or Chase's website to confirm.

I am not buying a Sony will be happy to help someone who wants one save some money so they can buy more books.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:28 PM   #26
Zabuton
Zabuton began at the beginning.

Device: BB8800/Sony PRS-505
I was on a business trip to US last month and although I did not see the unit on sale at Target or Costco, I did see it at Austin's Borders, and San Francisco Airport on those vending machines. And at SonyStyle and Fry's electronic stores at both states. As I understand it too, there are various discounts that can be applied towards the purchases now.

My point here is that generally, the availability (and cost) of the Sony eReader in the US is very good as compared to internationally.
Zabuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:34 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabuton View Post
My point here is that generally, the availability (and cost) of the Sony eReader in the US is very good as compared to internationally.
The UK price of the Sony Reader is pretty much the same as the US price at the current exchange rate.

The standard price in the US is $299. At today's exchange rate, that's £163. Add VAT and you get £192. It's actually selling for £199.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:48 AM   #28
godel10
Connoisseur
godel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Librie, Irex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The UK price of the Sony Reader is pretty much the same as the US price at the current exchange rate.

The standard price in the US is $299. At today's exchange rate, that's £163. Add VAT and you get £192. It's actually selling for £199.
Are you sure? It seems to me that in your calculations there is a US VAT and a UK VAT. You should do the same calculations but without including the US VAT in the initial price.
godel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:00 AM   #29
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by godel10 View Post
Are you sure? It seems to me that in your calculations there is a US VAT and a UK VAT. You should do the same calculations but without including the US VAT in the initial price.
I'm not sure what you mean with this. What US VAT do you refer to? If you purchase, for instance, from B&H in the US, you're getting charged US$295 no matter where you buy it from overseas (putting aside delivery costs). There is, as far as I'm aware, no US VAT/GST to be deducted.

At that chargeable amount (slightly below the US$299) mentioned, and including the UK VAT (17.5% isn't it?) that it'll get charged on entry into the UK, Harry's estimates seem right on the money to me.

So, at least for my benefit, if you're so willing, you might have to elaborate.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by godel10 View Post
Yes, I'm quite sure. US prices are always quoted without sales tax.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!