Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #226
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recountryman View Post
Just want to say thanks as I just got a demo k3 and used the Kubrick Linux live cd for k3 to do it.

Had no issues except for some reason on my computer neither the cd for k3 or the one that has the stuff for k3, k4 and k4 would work as when it would boot up and linux would start loading then it would alarm out saying unable to load /dev /sr1.

I went to my other pc and all was good.
Thanks for the report. Could you provide a little more detail please?

I.e., when exactly did you get the error - during system startup, or when trying to load the Kubrick wizard?

IOW: Please post the the last messages that you see on the screen.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:14 AM   #227
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 3.1

Version 3.1 released. It fixes a glitch from previous versions - K4 and K5 main kernels are now only installed if the main partition is to be flashed (instead of unconditionally at startup, as previous versions did).

This is relevant if - for instance - you only want to re-install the TTS files on a 5.3.2 Kindle Touch without re-flashing the partition. Overwriting the main kernel is not a terribly good idea in that case, because the kernel and partition wouldn't match anymore
Old 03-24-2013, 04:47 AM   #228
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
updating mirror now

http://ge.tt/2mvOKsZ/v/2 <-- kubrick-k3.zip 3.1
http://ge.tt/2mvOKsZ/v/3 <-- kubrick-k4-k5.zip 3.1

EDIT: all done. Updated top post for you mate.

Last edited by twobob; 03-24-2013 at 05:59 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #229
Recountryman
Recountryman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Will do sometime today getting ready to go to church. Guess best way would be to take a picture of the screen and post it.

It happened when Kubrick was loading (init screen guess sounds better) before the wizard loaded.

Last edited by Recountryman; 03-24-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Recountryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #230
Recountryman

I'm back and inserted the cd...both the live cd for just the k3 or the one for k3,k4 and k5 both stops at same spot with same error. I Know its system related as my other pc loaded it fine. Strange is i have used linux live cd's in the past on this computer with no problem.

Also the dvd drive is a sata and in bios its selected as first boot drive if that matters.

if I did it right below is picture of of it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0532 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	440
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	103415  

Last edited by Recountryman; 03-24-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #231
ixtab
(offline)

Thanks for the picture.

Strange thing indeed - does anybody have a clue of why this could be happening?

Essentially, "mount -o ro /dev/sr1 /media/cdrom" fails for some obscure reason. However,
  1. The mountpoint /media/cdrom definitely exists, so that's not the reason.
  2. The device name is taken from /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info, so the system at least *knows* that there is a CD drive. And hopefully, it also lists the correct device name
  3. Last not least - the CD drive obviously works, otherwise it wouldn't have booted in the first place.

Anyone?

Last edited by ixtab; 03-24-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #232
Recountryman

Just tried my old Knoppix live cd and it still loads
Old 03-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #233
ixtab
(offline)

The problem is not the CD not loading - Kubrick loads, too. The problem is mounting the CD filesystem in the running system. I honestly don't know why it fails. I either need to get my hands on a computer where this is happening, or advice from an expert who has an idea about what is happening, or preferrably someone who has a computer where this is happening AND who can troubleshoot it.

Anyway, I'll move all of our last posts over to the Kubrick thread, because we've been hijacking this thread.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #234
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The problem is not the CD not loading - Kubrick loads, too. The problem is mounting the CD filesystem in the running system. I honestly don't know why it fails. I either need to get my hands on a computer where this is happening, or advice from an expert who has an idea about what is happening, or preferrably someone who has a computer where this is happening AND who can troubleshoot it.

Anyway, I'll move all of our last posts over to the Kubrick thread, because we've been hijacking this thread.
Not running as "root" for some reason?

I.E: init and/or start-up files have switched to "nobody" or someone else by the time this command is reached on this particular hardware.

Don't you just love these async. startup system daemons ?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #235
ixtab
(offline)

@knc1: Nope.

After startup, root is automatically logged in on tty1, and the autostart.sh file is run. And this is where it's supposed to mount the CD...

So it's definitely run as root. Do you see anything glaringly wrong in that script? Thx!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #236
Recountryman

If it would help to know motherboard it a MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) which uses a UEFI BIOS.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #237
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Anyone?
Maybe CD-ROM was recognized as not the /dev/sr1, but as other device (wild guess: /dev/sr0 or dev/scd0).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #238
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Maybe CD-ROM was recognized as not the /dev/sr1, but as other device (wild guess: /dev/sr0 or dev/scd0).
Yeah, maybe... but then why is it reported wrongly in /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info? Or - what would the point of the info thingy be, if it reports wrong information?

BTW - I did have a similar (but not identical) issue on MacBook Pro with Kubrick 2.1. There, the info would simply be completely empty (="", meaning no devices found). This was the entire reason behind using a brand-new kernel, and enabling pretty much anything CD-ROM related in it.

But here, the case seems to be that the system *knows* it has a CD drive, but can't use it properly for whichever reason.

Recountryman: do you mind trying again, but instead of shutting down, issuing the following commands:
Code:
ls /dev/sr*
ls /dev/scd*
mount /dev/sr1 /media/cdrom
mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/sr1 /media/cdrom
dmesg|tail -n 10
Please post the exact output (or pictures of the screen)... Thanks!
And oh, of course "cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info" would be helpful too

Last edited by ixtab; 03-24-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #239
Recountryman

ok here they are...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	450
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	103420   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0539 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	382
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	103421  
Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #240
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recountryman View Post
ok here they are...
Thanks a lot!

Now... that second picture pretty much explains everything - my logic for enumerating the devices doesn't work when there are multiple devices...

Will be working on version 3.2 then.