Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
I've had no problem with logged in searches, either (including just a moment ago to test).

Perhaps clearing out your browser's cache, history, and Kobo-related cookies will help. That procedure has worked many times for me in the past with other sites (which is why it's the standard advice most support'll give as the first suggestion to Web-related issues).
I was just about to suggest the Cookies myself!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I suspect it is a problem somehow related to location. murg, HarleyB and myself are all in Australia.

And I don't think it is cookies. When I first had the problem I tried another computer. Then I tried other browsers.

Last edited by davidfor; 02-10-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: mmmmm cookies!
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I have also deleted cookies (several times), tried other browsers and also tried my daughter's brand new lap top and my husband's mac.
So far the only thing that works is to stay logged out until I want to confirm a price (due to the prices sometimes changing when I log in), naviagate to a book, click the buy now button and then only sign in when prompted. Then I can either buy the book or if the price jumps up too much I go back and log out to check another book.

David are you finding that the prices are changing when you log in? It's not on all books (probably just the ones I really want!!) I wondered if kobo thought I was in the US (where books tend to be cheaper) and so that's why the price increased when I logged in and they discovered I was in Australia?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For example "The Shifting Fog" by Kate Moreton is $3.99 but when I log in it jumps up to $5.95.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I have also deleted cookies (several times), tried other browsers and also tried my daughter's brand new lap top and my husband's mac.
So far the only thing that works is to stay logged out until I want to confirm a price (due to the prices sometimes changing when I log in), naviagate to a book, click the buy now button and then only sign in when prompted. Then I can either buy the book or if the price jumps up too much I go back and log out to check another book.
A way to do it, is to use two browsers. One is logged in, the other isn't do. Use one to do the search, and then copy the URL for the book to the other where you are logged in to buy. That is what PeterT was suggesting. Still not as good as it just working, but it might be less painful than what you are doing.
Quote:
David are you finding that the prices are changing when you log in? It's not on all books (probably just the ones I really want!!) I wondered if kobo thought I was in the US (where books tend to be cheaper) and so that's why the price increased when I logged in and they discovered I was in Australia?
Quote:
For example "The Shifting Fog" by Kate Moreton is $3.99 but when I log in it jumps up to $5.95.
I hadn't noticed different prices. But, I can see it with that book. The logged out price says "$3.99 List price: $4.54 You save: 12% ($0.55)" but the logged in is simply "$5.95". I'm a bit surprised they aren't doing the logged out price based on IP address to give an Australian price. I wonder if the price is a Canadian or US price. Or somewhere else.

It looks like it is book specific, or maybe publisher. I picked a couple of other books and they all had the same price when logged in or out. The books that had the same price didn't have the list price/discount.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #21
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Perhaps you are seeing the NZ prices when logged out? That book is $NZ3.99 in NZ (about $AU3.25), marked down from $NZ4.54.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #22
HarleyB
Fanatic

Aha thanks for explaining the 2 browsers suggestion from PeterT. I didn't understand previously and that does work.

I'm pleased you were able to confirm the changing prices - I really thought I was losing my mind when I would find an absolute bargain but then when I logged in the price was different. It's not on all books which just added to my confusion.

One of my theories about the prices is that they are "on special" somewhere in the world because for a few days "The Hobbit" was showing up as $8.99 logged out and $11.99 logged in but now the price stays at $11.99 for both.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
HarleyB
Fanatic

OK so maybe they are NZ prices!
Must say I'm pleased to see that our NZ friends are getting such a good deal. Normally you guys have it even worse than us in Australia.

Last edited by HarleyB; 02-10-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #24
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
OK so maybe they are NZ prices!
Must say I'm pleased to see that our NZ friends are getting such a good deal. Normally you guys have it even worse than us in Australia.
I checked that book on Luzme http://luzme.com/author/Kate%20Morto...Shifting%20Fog and it shows as $3.99 for Australia, so whatever method they are using to get the Australian price has the same problem. The book doesn't seem to be available in US or Canada, so it probably is the NZ price you are seeing.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote