Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
ixtapalapaquetl
ixtapalapaquetl began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
SD vs SDHC?

Will the Touch only accept SD, or can I use SDHC cards as well? Newegg has a nice 16GB SDHC for $20 and I want to know if I should pull the trigger. I have somehow managed to live this long without having to mess around with SD cards, and am thus not up on compatibilities between various different types of cards. Thanks in advance.
ixtapalapaquetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Be careful. You want a micro SD card for the Touch; NOT an SD or SDHC card.

Micro SD cards are small; 15 mm × 11 mm × 1.0 mm. (0.6 inch x 0.4 inch x very small)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
ixtapalapaquetl
ixtapalapaquetl began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Ah but of course. That said, there are still options for micro SD and micro SDHC - though most are micro SDHC. Will either work on the Touch?
ixtapalapaquetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Be careful. You want a micro SD card for the Touch; NOT an SD or SDHC card.

Micro SD cards are small; 15 mm × 11 mm × 1.0 mm. (0.6 inch x 0.4 inch x very small)
Actually what he DOES likely want is a uSD SDHC card. SDHC just means that it's the newer class rated(write throughput) higher capacity variant.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
The HC (= High Capacity) means that it supports > 2 Gbytes. The earlier non-HD cards only allowed 15 bits in the highest address field, which limited them to addressing 2 Gbytes (although a few suppliers pushed it to 4 Gbytes by violating the official spec and using all 16 bits available, which didn't work with all card readers).
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Actually what he DOES likely want is a uSD SDHC card. SDHC just means that it's the newer class rated(write throughput) higher capacity variant.
What I had meant was he wanted a MICRO card; not a standard form SD card
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
As the built-in memory can already hold more books than I can read for the next 10 years, I have trouble seeing the utility of an SD card. Most epub books are under 1 mb in size, so do the math. You are talking about storing thousands and thousands of ebooks.

The library system on the Kobo is not that practical. No folders or subfolders. A large number of books just becomes too unwieldy to navigate.

So my advice is to store your main book collection on your computer and add and delete small numbers of books on your Kobo as you go along (using Calibre).

Last edited by 46jimbo; 07-09-2011 at 04:47 PM.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
As the built-in memory can already hold more books than I can read for the next 10 years, I have trouble seeing the utility of an SD card. Most epub books are under 1 mb in size, so do the math. You are talking about storing thousands and thousands of ebooks.

The library system on the Kobo is not that practical. No folders or subfolders. A large number of books just becomes too unwieldy to navigate.

So my advice is to store your main book collection on your computer and add and delete small numbers of books on your Kobo as you go along.
Since I had trouble with the WiFi and putting books on over USB either manually(CLI) or with a couple versions of calibre(they'd disappear), I had taken to removing my uSD(w/SD adapter) and putting them on the uSD manually... (This was all under Ubuntu 10.04 x86-64, new desktop for Touch is working...)

I haven't tried sideloading any new books yet as I just removed the uSD from the WiFi and put it into the Touch after registering it...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Most epub books are under 1 mb in size, so do the math. You are talking about storing thousands and thousands of ebooks.
I have a book that is 47 MB in size. At that size there is room for only about 30 books. More than half of my books are over 1 MB. Books that have extensive hyperlinks, photos, maps or diagrams typically will be bigger than 1 MB.

Quote:
This is certainly a problem which Kobo needs to address since competing e-readers all seem to have some way of logically organizing documents.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post

So my advice is to store your main book collection on your computer and add and delete small numbers of books on your Kobo as you go along (using Calibre).
but it is nice to have the memory to move around from book to book to computer
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
readingglasses
Zealot
readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.

Device: (prospective) kobo touch
Kobo touch can "see" and read the SDHC format no problem, it is not limited to standard SD. It worked for me personally. ANd if you look at the manual I think it says so. But I confirm it personally.
Just make sure it's micro, not regular shape, as they don't cease to remind.

If you don't need it...well, get it anyway. You can use it for other devices (at micro size, it can be adapted, with an adaptor, to any camera etc). And you'll be helping "the economy" by spending. And you can take your books with you to other devices without needing a computer, etc.
Seriously if you don't need it don't get it. Unless you want to for reasons above.
readingglasses is offline   Reply With Quote