Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #31
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Rarely will an Indy work rank a 4 (but it could happen in some cases) much less a 5 and, sadly, you see that all the time. How many posts do you see in Book Bazaar where someone exclaims that they have a 5-star average?
I guess it depends on who you ask, CI Bond. I happen to think 5-star novels are "so good, I'd read it again." It doesn't need to be The Greatest Work of Fiction Ever To See Print to earn a 5-star review. Many people agree with me, which is why so many books by indies and non-indies have them. To me, a 3-star book is so-so. I finished it, but might not recommend it to my friends. Beauty (and good fiction) is in the eye of the beholder.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #32
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I rate and review indy works, and some of them can rival, or surpass, some of the "professionally" published books out there. I have rated indie books everywhere from 1.5 stars to 5 stars. (If it's a .5-1 star, I probably stopped reading somewhere along the way and moved on) 5 stars means a book I really liked and think others would like, too.

If I give a book 5 stars, I think the writing is quality and the storyline solid. It's a book I'd strongly recommend and would read again. It's often a book that I like even better than some of the stuff I've gotten from the library or bookstores. I honestly think there are indie books worthy of 5 stars.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #33
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmay View Post
I guess it depends on who you ask, CI Bond. I happen to think 5-star novels are "so good, I'd read it again." It doesn't need to be The Greatest Work of Fiction Ever To See Print to earn a 5-star review. Many people agree with me, which is why so many books by indies and non-indies have them. To me, a 3-star book is so-so. I finished it, but might not recommend it to my friends. Beauty (and good fiction) is in the eye of the beholder.
The truth is that it is very rare for any book to receive a five (or even four plus) star review. I'm not talking about individual reviews, but about the average for the book. You and I probably have very different opinions on books. I know many folks here on MR who would rate books very differently than I would. For example, there is an entire thread here on "classic" books which I don't really get because I don't enjoy that type of books.

The point is that a fair set of ratings on a book that is interesting to me ranges from say 3.5 to 4.3 . When I see a rating around 5-ish, I suspect the ratings are only from insiders.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #34
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
The problem is that the linear 5-star rating makes it difficult to truly impart an opinion on the minor imperfections of a book. Does a minor defect warrant a 20% cull (1-star) on the review? It depends a lot on your own personality, if you're the type that tends to be forgiving and lenient then you'll err to the 5-star, if otoh you're stern and absolute you'll fall to the 4-star position.

Personally I liked the multiple field 5-star rating, where you can rank the various attributes of the book (spelling/grammar/proofing, typesetting/layout, plot, characters), of course that'll tend to put off a lot of potential reviewers.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #35
C.I.Bond
I need to clean this tub!
C.I.Bond began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Personally I liked the multiple field 5-star rating, where you can rank the various attributes of the book (spelling/grammar/proofing, typesetting/layout, plot, characters), of course that'll tend to put off a lot of potential reviewers.
Oh, that would be a great system, I was thinking of doing something similar if I started reviewing books. I try to think in terms of a bell curve in terms of over-all story. Top 10% get 5, 20% get 4, 50% get 3, and the other end fits as well. The problem is art is subjective and no one thing is the same as another but if the average doesn't sit in the middle - 3 then what’s the average for? I suppose it helps to clarify things, to say in your review that a 3 is a ‘buy’ and a 2 is a ‘don’t buy.’ The other way to rate is by gut reaction… did you love it? Why? But then you have to quantify the depth of your love and qualify it with words. A 5-star love verses a 3-star love… I am still scratching my head over this one…

Old 10-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #36
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
I'm with you on this. B&N has changed their rating system to include the ability to differentiate characterization from originality from writing style, etc. which I think is a big step in the right direction. For reviewers who'd like to downgrade (or praise) one aspect of the story because of flaws (or excellence), there's a mechanism for doing that. Readers who aren't so particular can just jot a couple sentences about why they liked or didn't like the story without worrying about the categories.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #37
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It would be impossible for someone to be objective about their own work.

Beneath a Buried House

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SE7J6I
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #38
MartinParish
Author of 2184
MartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
It's amateurish and counterproductive. Reviews written by the author -- or by their friends and family -- are usually obvious from a mile away, and they only make it less likely I'll buy the book. I mean, how bad does your book have to be that you feel obliged to write a favorable review yourself? or recruit your friends and family to plug it for you? C'mon, guys...
MartinParish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #39
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
An author writing his own review is not just tacky - it would make me not buy the book because it seems fraudulent.

Of course, if an author were really clever, he would write a one-star review saying things like:

I didn't like this book because it was so exciting that I had difficulty sleeping. Even after going to bed late because I couldn't put the book down. Also, the sex in the book was so hot and steamy that I had to stop reading and take a cold shower, which I didn't like. Finally, I really didn't like how realistic the characters were - I prefer books in which the characters are more generic.

:-)
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:39 PM   #40
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Did he like the book?
I could never review my own work because once i am happy with it, and hand it to a client (talking software here not photo's as I suck hard at photo's...hahaha) know what is wrong with it even if it does the job I always hate the code or how I solved this or that problem.

Then again, if I were to ever write a book, good gawds I couldn't let ANYONE read. I for sure would have to be the first in line to write a scathing review just to let people know I am aware I suck...hehehehe...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #41
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I think a corollary to this is the authors who post about their "brilliant, insightful" book (or some other such hyperbole).

When I'm feeling kind, I assume they're quoting a review. But the post seldom mentions that. So you're left with an author telling you they've written a "brilliant, insightful" book. That's just as arrogant as writing their own reviews.

To those authors I'd say: get a little polish, folks! I've seem posts in various email groups where the author says something along the line of: "I hope you don't mind my sharing a wonderful review my book just received", then quoting the review. Whether that email is deliberately coy or truly ebullient, at least they've made it clear they're quoting someone else's opinion.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:48 AM   #42
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Self-Flagellation For Idiots - a review by Padel Mehard *****

This is a spanking good read. Bound to be a hit, not for the faint hearted but perfect for the feeble-minded. The author, Padel Mehard, takes us on a journey of brilliantly, insightful, flashbacks, interposed with the harsh realities of a Dystopia driven mind-set.

This 15 page fiction novel, is novel, in that everything has been done solely by the author; from the large 18 point fonts used throughout and the paddle-shaped exclamation marks; to the blank cover page with the Disney copyrighted font set, and even the reviews (such as this).

No one comes close to matching the sheer, hard-hitting genius of Mehard. Well, maybe Dan Brown's priest in The Lost Cymbal, does come close, and in fact, readers who enjoyed that - will definitely love this. I undeservedly give this book 5 stars; one for each of the Chapter headings.

By now you won't regret it I promise R.R.P 89.99
simonroyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #43
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I just went through having a friend demand why I hadn't reviewed his book of which he'd given me a copy. I said I hadn't gotten around to reading it yet and that didn't seem to be a requirement. So, I took some time, read the book, and wrote a review. The author was a little miffed that I didn't give it a five. I responded that when I see a book with just five reviews and they're all fives I assume it's his parents, two grandmothers, and himself.

So, I'm curious. If an author reviewing his own book is tacky, does tacky also cover friends and family? I'm a casual friend but I wuold stand behind my review.

I'm looking forward to seeing a review that says, "I want my son to get a job."
An old college friend just sent me a digital copy of a SF book he published.

It's bad.

I haven't yet put up my review on Amazon but I likely can't give it more than two stars. Although after reading the first chapter of Dale M Courtney's Moon People, I might be tempted to give it three.

All his other friends have given it four stars. On the very slim chance that some complete stranger decides to buy his overpriced, crappy book, I want them to know what they're getting into.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #44
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I won't review for people I know, and anyone contemplating a book knows this up front. I simply say that I have to make it one standard policy or some people will wonder why I won't review their book but I would someone else's, and I can't give a 1-star book 5 stars. Everyone assumes it's someone else's book I mean, and I'm safe from the wrath of the terrible writers (except, of course, that they still want me to read the thing).
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #45
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I won't review for people I know, and anyone contemplating a book knows this up front. I simply say that I have to make it one standard policy or some people will wonder why I won't review their book but I would someone else's, and I can't give a 1-star book 5 stars. Everyone assumes it's someone else's book I mean, and I'm safe from the wrath of the terrible writers (except, of course, that they still want me to read the thing).
Good policy!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote