Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
familyhandh
familyhandh began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Should buy Sony PRS 900 ?

I am reluctant to buy Sony PRS 900 ?
Should I buy it to read PDF ?
familyhandh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyhandh View Post
No.

First off, it really isn't the greatest PDF reader. Secondly, Sony will shortly be coming out with the PRS-950, which might or might not be an improvement. You should at least wait for that.

From my personal experience, nothing beats the iPad for PDF reading, if you're willing to go for a backlit screen and a lot of $. I've read good things about the Entourage Edge, but haven't seen one in person.

There is also a flurry of Android tablets coming out soon. They probably will handle pdf better than most of the devices currently out now.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 02:01 AM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Partly agree with Marcy.

First wait for the PRS-950 to show up. There MUST be some improvements.

Second, IFA Berlin will show a lot new 9-10" devices (PocketBook 902/903, DR-900 and more) which should be great for PDF reading.

I'm too looking for a big reader and will definitely wait until IFA Berlin open the doors.

Personally, iPad isn't an option for me.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Life would be so much easier without PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Life would be so much easier without PDF.
It is.
I just say no.
If the only choice is PDF or paper, I go with paper.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyhandh View Post
You should not buy a reader for PDF. The only large screen reader out there really is the Kindle DX Graphite and it's PDF support is rather poor.

All the other readers out there don't do well with PDF because of the screen size. So if you want a reader for PDF, don't.

If you want a reader for reading, get a 950 or a 650.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote