Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Lightbulb ANN: Navigator

Released version 3 [2011/09/04]:
- new actions: delete files, mark as unread, create shortcut, open containing folder
- new virtual folders: shortcuts, recently added, recently opened
- in-program help, added README file to package
- code refactoring and cleaning
- fixed some bugs

Ideas, comments, suggestions? See TODO section for my future plans,
Iņigo

Summary
Navigator is a file system browser for IREX DR ereaders.
It works with DR800 and DR1000, both with or without DR800+ or Mackx's hack.

Installation
Copy the contents of the this package to <SD card>/Programs folder on your DR.
They aren't any external dependencies.

Instructions
You can browse using the bar or with the stylus. Note some advanced features are only possible with the stylus.
For safety reasons, you can only browse your SD card contents.
You can open books and notes, run applications (from SDCARD/Programs) or open books/folders from Shorcuts (DR1000 and DR800+) too.
Books opened in Navigator update the lastread field on the database so they will also appear con CTB's LastRead view.
Tap on columns headers to change sorting.
To see bottom bar icons you will need DR800+ (DR800) or Mackx's Hack (DR1000). In case you haven't installed any of them, you should use the menu.

UI and Navigation
Code:
* with the bar
  - left: up one file
  - long left: 10 files up, or parent folder if in first entry
  - right: down one file
  - long right: 10 files down
  - press: enter a folder, open a book, or run an application (.desktop)

* tap with the stylus on
  - file name or file type: enter folder, open book, run application
  - first column, size or mtime: focus on this file
  - last column: mark/unmark file

* at the top of screen
  - current folder path. It works like breadcrumbs,
    you can click on a partial path
  - button bookmarks. Have breadcrumbs-like functionality too
  - button last read books. You can open the book or browse its folder
  - button last visited folders. Have breadcrumbs-like functionality too
  - button search (not implemented yet)

* the menu
  - Show/hide book information details
  - Show/hide hidden files
  - Toggle fullscreen
  - Help
  - Close
  - Actions:
    . Delete file(s)
    . Edit metadata (not implemented yet)
    . Update metadata from file (not implemented yet)
    . Mark as unread
    . Create shortcut
    . Open containing folder, only for virtual folders
  - Virtual folders:
    . Shortcuts, same as in DR1000 or DR800+
    . Recently added, by default shows 25 entries but configurable,
      sorting is not allowed
    . Recently opened, by default shows 25 entries but configurable,
      sorting is not allowed
Configuration file
Navigator stores its preferences in the configuration SDCARD/Programs/_config/.navigator/navigator.ini
Note first bookmark is also the folder showing at the start.
I include here an example. Contents are between ===== lines:

Code:
========== Configuration file ==========
##### Navigator configuration file

[Options]
Show details=true
Show hidden=false
Fullscreen=false
Sort case sensitive=false
Number of items in vfolders=50

[Bookmarks]
1=/media/mmcblk0p1/Programs
2=/media/mmcblk0p1/System/Shortcuts
3=/media/mmcblk0p1/# Recently added #
4=/media/mmcblk0p1/# Recently opened #
5=/media/mmcblk0p1/# Shortcuts #
25=/media/mmcblk0p1
##### End of file
========== End of Configuration file ==========
Sources
Written in vala.
Sources are in BitBucket: https://bitbucket.org/inigoserna/dr-vala/
This program is in "navigator", and needs libs in "irex" folder.

TODO
Code:
* Todo:
  - write a selection dialog: mark all, none, by extension, except extension
  - actions:
    . edit metadata: title, author, tags, cover (?)
    . update metadata and thumbnail with book contents, add files to global.db first if new
  - search: by folder/filename, or by metadata -> virtual folder
  - tags-based browsing
  - ui for preferences

* Regarding DR800+ integration (and Mackx's Hack eventually):
  - put a Navigator shortcut in HOME
  - disable UDS updates to metadata except cover (configurable in dr.ini)
  - open folder in CTB -> dr800+ CTB gotoLocation
  - from CTB, open folder in Navigator -> ipc
  - allow multiple tags (borrow code from Mackx's Hack)

* ISSUES and BUGS:
  - capture error message if running .desktop app fails
  - hide focus
  - update last read book -> impossible, as it's handled by ctb
  - [rvs] use partial refreshes for selection

EDIT 2011/07/17 22:16 -> new package with some minor modifications
EDIT 2011/07/20 18:12 -> v1
EDIT 2011/07/23 15:50 -> v2
EDIT 2011/09/24 16:09 -> v3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navigator-1.png
Views:	632
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	74733   Click image for larger version

Name:	navigator-2.png
Views:	605
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	74734   Click image for larger version

Name:	navigator-3.png
Views:	584
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	74735   Click image for larger version

Name:	navigator-4.png
Views:	585
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	74736   Click image for larger version

Name:	navigator-5.png
Views:	592
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	74737   Click image for larger version

Name:	navigator-6.png
Views:	581
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	74738   Click image for larger version

Name:	navigator-7.png
Views:	564
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	74739  
Attached Files
File Type: gz navigator-v3.tar.gz (74.8 KB, 526 views)

Last edited by Iņigo; 09-04-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Looks interesting, I'll try it and see. just a couple of things. How do you install it? and when MACx updates his patches do you have to re-install?
Or do you just run it as an application?
(My DR is in the Office just now and I'm not...)
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 04:17 AM   #3
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Looks interesting, I'll try it and see. just a couple of things. How do you install it? and when MACx updates his patches do you have to re-install?
Or do you just run it as an application?
(My DR is in the Office just now and I'm not...)
This is a prerelease for adventurous people, so I haven't written documentation for now...

To install, copy the contents of the .tag.gz file ("_navigator" folder and "Navigator.desktop" file) to your DR's SDCard/Programs. Use 7zip (not winrar or winzip) if you are uncompressing in a windows machine.

It works as an external application so no problem if you upgrade the firmware.

I'm considering including it in DR800+ but it would be available as a standalone program as well.

Iņigo
Old 07-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
Hi Iņigo,

Great work. I'm tempted to make this my default navigator, because I like the small font a lot.

I can only think of 3 suggestions for small improvements:
- make the sorting case-insensitive
- fix the bug where if there's an '&' in the directory path, the directory and any subdirectories won't be shown in the full path at the top of the screen (i.e. "SDCARD/Books/SC & E/Java" shows up as "SDCARD/Books")
- (if not too much work) use partial refreshes for selection
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
Hi Iņigo,

Great work. I'm tempted to make this my default navigator, because I like the small font a lot.

I can only think of 3 suggestions for small improvements:
- make the sorting case-insensitive
- fix the bug where if there's an '&' in the directory path, the directory and any subdirectories won't be shown in the full path at the top of the screen (i.e. "SDCARD/Books/SC & E/Java" shows up as "SDCARD/Books")
- (if not too much work) use partial refreshes for selection
Ok, in the first post there is a new package with issue #2 fixed and built with case-insensitive sorting by default (#1). Later I will add an option in the preferences.

Regarding partial refreshes (#3), I don't know how to achieve it.
In my DR800, moving cursor makes a partial refresh or a complete screen refresh randomly. It should be handled by IREX patched gtk+ libs automatically. IREX docs says that the refresh engine would make the proper action depending on the "size of the updated portion of the screen" (sic).

Iņigo
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
thanks a lot, will try right now !
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:08 AM   #7
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Ok, in the first post there is a new package with issue #2 fixed and built with case-insensitive sorting by default (#1). Later I will add an option in the preferences.

Regarding partial refreshes (#3), I don't know how to achieve it.
In my DR800, moving cursor makes a partial refresh or a complete screen refresh randomly. It should be handled by IREX patched gtk+ libs automatically. IREX docs says that the refresh engine would make the proper action depending on the "size of the updated portion of the screen" (sic).
Thanks for the quick patch and for the explanation. You're right it does use partial refreshes on many occasions (I didn't notice this the first time). Partial refreshes on my DR1000 seem to only happen when I use the buttons (instead of the stylus) to select a file and there aren't too many files/directories displayed (less then 20 perhaps). Anyway, it's not a problem, just something I noticed.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
Iņigo
Guru

New version on first message.

Changes:
- Bookmarks. Paths work like the header in main window, you can click on any part of the path
- Preferences: state and bookmarks. It's stored on SD_card/Programs/_config/.navigator/navigator.ini
- You can run applications (.desktop files on SD_card/Programs) or open books from shorcuts (SD_card/System/Shorcuts folder). Note System si hidden by default

Iņigo
Old 07-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
igi_net
igi_net began at the beginning.

Device: iREX 1000s
Thank you, Iņigo

It is very useful software. I have a lot of files with long names and your navigator is much better and more helpful, than standard soft.

One thing I noticed that is not exactly intuitive - your navigator do not show parent directory name as part of the file list... I took for me several minutes, before I looked up your explanations :-) and clicked top corner path to navigate off current directory.

May be it make sense to put this additional line (clickable parent dir name) as first line in the file list? (while keeping top corner info as it is - unmodified).
igi_net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by igi_net View Post
Thank you, Iņigo

It is very useful software. I have a lot of files with long names and your navigator is much better and more helpful, than standard soft.

One thing I noticed that is not exactly intuitive - your navigator do not show parent directory name as part of the file list... I took for me several minutes, before I looked up your explanations :-) and clicked top corner path to navigate off current directory.

May be it make sense to put this additional line (clickable parent dir name) as first line in the file list? (while keeping top corner info as it is - unmodified).
Thanks for your comments.

First code used to have a ".." parent entry as first item in the list but it didn't fit good with the details view, and it also made code more complex.
Anyway, I think once you know how to go up, it's much easier now.

Note two additional features:
- if you are in first entry, doing a "long left" you navigate to updir
- the path entry at top is special: clicking on parts of the "label" you can navigate to different paths... it's a poor's man breadcrumb. And same for bookmarks "labels"

Iņigo
Old 07-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #11
Iņigo
Guru

I've been thinking on the evolution of Navigator, and making it useful for most people, even as a complete CTB replacement.
So here are some ideas of possible future improvements for discussion:

* write a selection dialog: mark all, none, by extension, except extension
* actions:
- delete files
- update metadata and thumbnail with book contents, add files to global.db first if new
- edit metadata
* search: by folder/filename, or by metadata
* write documentation... any volunteer?

Regarding DR800+ integration (and Mackx's Hack eventually):
- put a Navigator shortcut in HOME
- disable UDS updates to metadata except cover (configurable in dr.ini)
- allow multiple tags (borrow code from Mackx's Hack)

What do you think? suggestions?

Iņigo
PS: anyway this is a medium-term roadmap, I won't be able to work on this on next weeks
Old 07-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #12
rvs
Groupie

To make it a suitable replacement for ctb in my book it would need the following features:
- update metadata on opening book (lastread entry)
- ability to sort on lastread and lastadded
- ability to make one of the above the default sort method

I realize though this might defeat the purpose of the program, as it was meant to be a replacement for an indexed file browser. So feel free to ignore this. I'm actually quite happy with ctb except for its inefficient use of screen space.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
To make it a suitable replacement for ctb in my book it would need the following features:
- update metadata on opening book (lastread entry)
- ability to sort on lastread and lastadded
- ability to make one of the above the default sort method

I realize though this might defeat the purpose of the program, as it was meant to be a replacement for an indexed file browser. So feel free to ignore this. I'm actually quite happy with ctb except for its inefficient use of screen space.
Well, Navigator is a file system based browser, it works over a folder view, so it doesn't have much sense to offer lastread or lastadded sorting by now (ok, unless you store all your books under the same directory in the SD card, but that would be crazy anyway).

Lastread entry is a CTB feature... but maybe we can copy it and have a special folder "last opened items"...
Other long-term ideas include tags-based browsing, so we'll need a virtual folder support for it. Then these last opened or last added views would be easier to implement.

Anyway, I expressed myself wrongly, I didn't mean to make Navigator a CTB replacement, I want to make it a CTB alternative for some types of books browsing.

Thanks for your comments,
Iņigo

Last edited by Iņigo; 07-22-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
rvs
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Well, Navigator is a file system based browser, it works over a folder view, so it doesn't have much sense to offer lastread or lastadded sorting by now (ok, unless you store all your books under the same directory in the SD card, but that would be crazy anyway).
I agree this is probably not of much use to anyone but me. I do use the "sort by recently opened" though when I browse the SD-card (it's my default sort method).

I'll see if I can get ctb to waste less space in list mode.

Anyway, great program
Old 07-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #15
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
I agree this is probably not of much use to anyone but me. I do use the "sort by recently opened" though when I browse the SD-card (it's my default sort method).
I've been thinking on this "last read" sorting... as in fact I also use it a lot.
Maybe we can't have to wait for virtual folders navigation, I can easily store last opened items in a list and show a window (similar to bookmarks) with last 25 entries...

Even it could update global.db's "file_time_lastread" field so this could sync CTB views too.

Let's go for it

Tags
ctb, file browser, navigator