Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: My preferred reading font is...
Amasis 16 14.41%
Avenir 6 5.41%
Delima 10 9.01%
Felbridge 6 5.41%
Georgia 30 27.03%
Gill Sans 7 6.31%
Rockwell 15 13.51%
Times New Roman 4 3.60%
Document Default 5 4.50%
Other (please specify) 27 24.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
I use this font (nimbusmod) with bold and bold italic taken from other Nimbus packages. It's not a perfect solution but it works for me. I love this font.
Hi

FIAWOL. " It is a proud and lonely thing to be a fan".

Were the bold and bold italicfrom a non commercial (i.e. free) source? If so please post the link or give information on where you got them.

Honestly, I don't remember where I got them. I've been using that font for a long time and there are so many free font websites. They are mismatched, but I hardly notice anymore.

Actually, if you were to track the linked post back and read that thread you would find that another fan has put together his own package with bold and bold italics that he converted from the original mod. I haven't tried it out yet myself.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #17
critic
critic began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Rockwell is my favourite of the default fonts, as i find the darker fonts easier to read. However after reading this thread ive added Gentium-book-basic (regular and bold) to my kobo and am very impressed with both
critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Chose Georgia, but it would be nice to have at least one unicode font included by default to support epubs with characters in asian languages.
There is a Document Default font, isn't that the same?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #19
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
There is a Document Default font, isn't that the same?
That would require the epub to have the font embedded in the file. There are files that don't do this that are in Japanese for example. Try downloading "Kiss on the Phone" from Kobo.com. It's a free ebook.. If you can see the Japanese you probably have a Unicode font with the asian character set installed. If you see a lot of blanks, you don't and changing the setting for Document Default font makes no difference.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #20
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Usually Droid Serif. Sometimes Liberation.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 05:07 AM   #21
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Could someone please tell me how do I go about adding a font from off Linux Mint in to the fonts file on my KT?

Thanks.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #22
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
Could someone please tell me how do I go about adding a font from off Linux Mint in to the fonts file on my KT?
In Linux, fonts are usually located in /usr/share/fonts/truetype. So, just plug your kobo to your computer, and open file manager. Then, open kobo (using file manager) and create folder "fonts" to there. Then, just drag and drop fonts from /usr/share/fonts/truetype/{fontdir} to kobo/fonts.

You should always copy at least -Regular, -Bold, -Italic and -BoldItalic variants of each font to your kobo.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've taken a liking to Charis SIL.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #24
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
In Linux, fonts are usually located in /usr/share/fonts/truetype. So, just plug your kobo to your computer, and open file manager. Then, open kobo (using file manager) and create folder "fonts" to there. Then, just drag and drop fonts from /usr/share/fonts/truetype/{fontdir} to kobo/fonts.

You should always copy at least -Regular, -Bold, -Italic and -BoldItalic variants of each font to your kobo.
Thank you.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #25
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

I got stuck on Roboto after switching fonts a lot, because it works really well in all sets and settings. I found I prefer fonts specifically designed for screenreading when reading a lot on a screen, even if it is e-Ink... Then for me there is an emotional aspect attached to many fonts, that I can't explain. I really dislike Arial; but Roboto (despite it's name) gives me a warm feeling that I never expected from a sans serif font...
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #26
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by voom View Post
I got stuck on Roboto after switching fonts a lot, because it works really well in all sets and settings. .
I'll +1 to Roboto. It is nice and thick/dark even at small font sizes but still has a robust bold setting that looks normal. I was using Ubuntu before that.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #27
Fehmarn
Enthusiast
Fehmarn doesn't litterFehmarn doesn't litterFehmarn doesn't litter

Device: Aura H2O (Glo stolen, PRS-T1 given away, K-touch kaputt) & iPads
I like sans serif types that are slightly condensed and a little bolder because they make for good readability.

http://de.fonts2u.com/alte-din-1451-...ift.schriftart

Don't laugh, it is a very German typeface, but it works very well on the KT
Fehmarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #28
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've taken a liking to Charis SIL.
+1, a very nice looking font, at least in my Sony 505
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #29
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Gill Sans.

I haven't tried out fonts not provided by the KT, as I find this one a clean, uncluttered font which is easy to read.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #30
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Of the default typefaces, I prefer Rockwell. I find it very easy to read, and I prefer a serif typeface for the main text of my ebooks. When I was making PDF ebooks, I used Georgia for the same reason.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote