Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-07-2007, 04:43 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Amazon's Top SciFi & Fantasy books 2007

For all you SciFi and Fantasy nerds out there... here are the top ten books chosen by Amazon editors for 2007:
  • The Terror: A Novel by Dan Simmons
  • Brasyl by Ian McDonald
  • Territory by Emma Bull
  • The Traitor by Michael Cisco
  • Spaceman Blues: A Love Song by Brian Francis Slattery
  • Shelter by Susan Palwick
  • The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Day 1) by Patrick Rothfuss
  • Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan
  • Tin House: Fantastic Women by Aimee Bender
  • The Coyote Road by Ellen Datlow

[link, via SF Signal]
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:03 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Other then Dan Simmons, I have not heard of the rest of the authors. Amazon picks are something I don't trust.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
At least Ian McDonald, Emma Bull, Richard Morgan and Ellen Datlow are very well known names in the science fiction field.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I haven't heard about most of them either, but I don't consider myself a SciFi expert. Of course it's always great to discover new authors.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I haven't read Brasyl yet but Ian McDonalds River of Gods is a fantastic book and it won the British Science Fiction Associations (BSFA) vote for best novel 2004.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Name of the Wind is getting a lot of play in fantasy circles. I haven't read it yet myself, but a lot of folks really like it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
It's nice to have a list like this, but I like the recommendations Amazon makes based on my past purchases, wishlist, ratings, etc. better.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:29 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
[*]The Terror: A Novel by Dan Simmons [*]Brasyl by Ian McDonald [*]The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Day 1) by Patrick Rothfuss [*]Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan
Are very popular on Fantasy/Sci-fi forums.

Although I would not put The Terror on this list. It is more like a real life expedition. There is almost next to nothing "unrealistic" in the book. Very gritty one...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I read mostly SciFi & have never heard of any of these authors. Have heard of two of the titles, The Coyote Road & Thirteen (if it is the same one). I also don't trust such "universal" lists. I have found that many (most?) of the "best seller list" are books that I don't care for.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I read mostly SciFi & have never heard of any of these authors. Have heard of two of the titles, The Coyote Road & Thirteen (if it is the same one). I also don't trust such "universal" lists. I have found that many (most?) of the "best seller list" are books that I don't care for.
Hi slayda!
Surely you've heard of Dan Simmons! His "Hyperion" series?
You've got to read that!
He's been discussed here, punch it up in the search bar.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Hi slayda!
You've got to read that!
... one of my favorites!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #12
iamcanadian
iamcanadian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I just finished reading the Rothfuss book. It's a VERY solid debut novel. I'm eagerly looking forward to the next books in the series.
iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:56 PM   #13
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
It's nice to have a list like this, but I like the recommendations Amazon makes based on my past purchases, wishlist, ratings, etc. better.
I quite like these lists because they suggest new authors. From this list for example, I've read 5 of the novels (the most I enjoyed Brasyl and The Name of the Wind, while Thirteen was the biggest disappointment - if you did not read any Richard Morgan you may be impressed, but if you've read his previous 4 novels you will see that this one is a rehash of those 4, with the least interesting protagonist and with the most psycho-babble of all, while The Terror and Shelter are ok but not my favorite kind of books).

Four others are not my type of books, but I took a look at M. Cisco's The Traitor (there is an excerpt on the author's home page) and I ordered that, The Tyrant, and I am getting The Divinity Student from the library and I intend to order it and its sequel if I am impressed by it.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
There's always a tricky balance between wanting to read something like what we already enjoy, and wanting to be able to expand our reading into new areas, isn't there? Amazon has recommended several new authors to me whom I've really enjoyed (Charles de Lint and Jonathan Stroud being the strongest examples). Librarything does something similar. But perhaps I ought to really stretch outside my "comfort zone" more and try something new.

Several people have recommended Hyperion to me recently. Based on descriptions, I think I should probably wait until I'm not taking classes to read it (winter break or next summer). It's hard to say if I'd choose to read it if it hadn't been so highly recommended, by people who are pretty familiar with my reading tastes.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Hi slayda!
You've got to read that!
Based on you comment, I went to Amazon to get an idea of what I might be missing. This was the first review & it convinced me not to go any further.

Quote:
0 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Got about 6 pages into it. That was more than enough., October 23, 2007
By halda (World Wide Interweb Network Machine System) - See all my reviews
Thankfully, I wasted only a very brief part of my life with this horribly pretentious book. I should have known right on the first page -- any sci-fi novel that starts off with a reference to an obscure piece of classical music is a deal breaker right there.

From the get-go, there was too much of Simmons's overwrought style and self-indulgent jargon. I got about as far as this bit of prose-fapping:

"If the fleet did construct a farcaster in time and the Hegemony committed the total resources of FORCE to defending a single, distant, colonial world of Hyperion, the Worldweb ran the terrible risk of suffering an Ouster attack on the elsewhere...

Before I said "WHAT?! The hell with this!" And resisted the urge to farcast the book into the trash.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote