Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
BHastings175
BHastings175 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Lightbulb Annotation Export Limit - Problem Solved

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that if you combine 2 particular solutions/tools on this forum, you can export highlights/annotations of unlimited length. Below is how I did this:

What I mention below is not my software, and I take no responsibility for your use thereof. This post is for information purposes only, do with it what you will at your own risk and note that it is possible to brick your device, or at least put it in a state that will take hours to recover.

1) Root your device with the AMR package. This removes the annotation limit. NOTE: this only works for annotations made AFTER the device is rooted, thanks to the modified reader software that comes with the root package.

Instructions are here.

My PC is W7 x64 as was the person who wrote the original post. If you follow the partition bxackup procedure you can brick your device - I didn't backup using a partition, I just saved a copy of READER to my computer. I followed ONLY STEPS A and B here.
In other words, I haven't bothered putting android apps on my device yet.

2) Use Yoths' annotation/highlight export tool to get your information out. Found here. You will have to convert to ePub in Calibre. You can turn PDFs into ePub using FreeOCR. Just make sure you don't accidentally get the toolbar instead of the program like I did (scroll down).

When you run this, uncheck "expand marked text".

This tool even gives the filename, page number and author, which is awesome for academic reading. It doesn't, however, seem to export annotations that are attached to bookmarks.

I also tend to agree that I would rather have a table of all the info with author, title, page, highlightedtext, annotated text as opposed to the HTML-based format it gives it in. The source code is available - maybe someone could tweak it to give an additional output option.
I know this is a super-important capability for academic users, of which I am one. Happy Annotating.

PS - I would also mention there is a calibre plugin to export handwritten notes from the PRS-T1 PDFs here. I haven't tested this with the rooted device yet.

Last edited by BHastings175; 09-18-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Disclaimer.
BHastings175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Yoths
Enthusiast
Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yoths is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Some comments to "PRS-T1 Annotations Exporter":
1. You don't need to convert your PDF to ePub - "PRS-T1 Annotations Exporter" can export annotations/highlights from PDF as well.
2. You can customize the output HTML (via "HtmlExportStyles.xml")
3. If you have any requirements (annotations of bookmarks, additional output options, etc.), feel free to ask in the corresponding topic
Yoths is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
michailbachtin
Enthusiast
michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Sony PSR-1
Your software is awesome! Is there any chance that this would work for the Pocketbook Lux? (Pocketbook 622 or 623) I am a little scared of rooting my Sony TS-1, but I'm going to do it if I have to in order to access my notes: the product of thousands of hours hard reading...

Thanks to your genius!
michailbachtin is offline   Reply With Quote