Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
JonnyG
JonnyG began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Basics on Droid Apps for NC

First post so be gentle:

I rooted my NC by following the youtube post
Downloaded auto-nooter-2.12.25.img.zip
Worked like a charm!

How do I get more market apps downloaded to my NC?

I understand that when I go to market it's doing some screening in the background to only show apps it thinks my NC can handle. I don't understand the concept of "side loaded apps" and I don't understand "apks". So keep that in mind with any responses.

In particular there are two apps I would like to get on my NC. One is the original angry birds. When I goto market on my rooted NC I just get AB seasons. It doesn't show me the original in market. I would also like to get the Kindle reader on my NC. Any help in understanding the concepts as well as the how to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to the forum for all the tips you have already provided me
JonnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
The kindle reader is just a matter of searching under 'kindle' in the market place search area, and selecting download. If it seems to hang on the download, make sure you are logged into your google account. I am wanting Angry Birds too but dont think it is available anymore.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
The Kindle reader should definitely be in the Market. Is Angry Birds really no longer there?

An apk file is simply the actual file for an app. ("apk" is the file extension, like "xls is for Excel.) If you do a Google search you can find many places to download the file for various apps, and then move it over to your Nook. Then you can install it manually.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
windycitygal
windycitygal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.windycitygal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.windycitygal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor
I'll second the OP: Angry Birds is not available in the Marketplace app. I found it via the web interface for the Market, but I still can't get it on my NC because the Marketplace doesn't recognize my NC as a "phone." I wish there was a way around this!
windycitygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Download it to your Android phone (or have somebody download it if you don't run Android), then try sideloading it to the NC.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
windycitygal
windycitygal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.windycitygal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.windycitygal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor
Thanks for the tip, gtriever! I have a friend with an Android phone so I'll ask her to get it for me on an SD card. Will that work?
windycitygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Glad to hear you got some help. I think a lot of us aren't mac users so it is difficult to help with the terminal/dd commands.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
You can also download the appbrain app (from the marketplace) and create an account. You can also go to appbrain.com Lots of apps there that aren't in the Marketplace. Appbrain loads them directly from the Nook (when you tell it too).
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
I installed one program using ASTRO. I did get my nook connected to the marketplace by using the same Gmail account for both. I showed both as "phone" so I named one "nook". I tried sending apps to it, and it seemed to work.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote