Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Epub to Mobi & TOC

Does anyone know how I can tell calibre to incorporate the table of contents that's in the Epub into the Mobipocket file? It does not do it by default.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
In the .opf file, add this section:

Code:
<guide>
<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="TOC.html" />
</guide>
where 'TOC.html' points to your Table of Contents.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
In the .opf file, add this section:

Code:
<guide>
<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="TOC.html" />
</guide>
where 'TOC.html' points to your Table of Contents.

G
Yeah, no. I'm not going to do that for 500 books. Besides, the Epub toc isn't a html file; it's the toc.ncx file. What you suggest isn't going to help.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Shouldn't it include the TOC by default?

--no-inline-toc Don't add Table of Contents to end of book. Useful if the book has its own table of contents.

There doesn't seem to be a reverse option, maybe you have --no-inline-toc in your default settings somewhere?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry if I misunderstood your objective. Adding the <guide> section makes an existing TOC accessible in a MOBI file. For example, with the Kindle, it enables the 'Table of Contents' feature when you press 'Menu' in a book. Calibre uses the TOC.NCX file to specify where the chapter breaks will occur on the Kindle.

Generating the actual TOC content is a different matter. Your question suggested that you wanted to use an existing TOC.

G
Old 10-01-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Shouldn't it include the TOC by default?

--no-inline-toc Don't add Table of Contents to end of book. Useful if the book has its own table of contents.

There doesn't seem to be a reverse option, maybe you have --no-inline-toc in your default settings somewhere?
I'm using the GUI. The only thing I had checkboxed was "don't add detected chapters to the toc". I left that unchecked when I converted several titles last night and it had no effect. And just to be clear, I know that the Epubs had a toc. I looked.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are any of the ePubs in question able to be posted here so we can take a look?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
GRiker

One other thing to check ...

Is the toc.html file listed in the manifest and spine sections of the OPF file?

G
Old 10-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
One other thing to check ...

Is the toc.html file listed in the manifest and spine sections of the OPF file?

G
I'm not talking about a html file, or an inline toc. But if I were, I said that I knew the TOC was in the Epub. That means I saw it. If the inline toc is in the Epub, then it is obviously named in the OPF file.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'm using the GUI. The only thing I had checkboxed was "don't add detected chapters to the toc".
So, you don't have "Do not add Table of Contents to book" checked in the "MOBI output" section?

Quote:
And just to be clear, I know that the Epubs had a toc. I looked.
It works when opening the ePUB in ebook-viewer, then?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
So, you don't have "Do not add Table of Contents to book" checked in the "MOBI output" section?
Correct.

Quote:
It works when opening the ePUB in ebook-viewer, then?
Correct.

I guess I need to file a bug report.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I filed a bug report. Kovid said not to use "Kindle" as an output setting, which didn't help because I wasn't using it. I tried other settings like "Cybook G3" and "Mobipocket Books". Neither Mobi had a toc.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just converted the following two ePubs to Mobi and they both came out fine.

The Secret Adversary
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53913

The Mysterious Affair at Styles
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54721

The only thing that didn't convert well was the SVG cover used in The Mysterious Affair at Styles.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote