Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Post Carroll, Lewis: Sylvie and Bruno (Complete, Illustrated) v2 26 Sep 2009

Lewis Carroll (real name Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) started writing "Sylvie and Bruno" and "Sylvie and Bruno Concluded" as a single work, but then decided to publish it in two parts in 1889 and 1893. I've created an eBook of the two parts together. This is a hard work to classify. It has fantasy, it has humor, it has philosophy, some parts are nice for children, some parts contain more "grown-up" thoughts. Nevertheless, the style and imagination of Carroll is evident throughout the book. It is also surprising how he manages to touch so many subjects of interest today, quotes and situations can be found to illustrate relativity, evolution, topology, emergent intelligence, self-referencing... It's, in my opinion, a very pleasant work to read and a nice discovery.

The book is fully illustrated with the 92 original illustrations by Harry Furniss, which account for the large size of the file (I preferred to keep the images rather high-quality). The text is the same as in the PDF version I uploaded some time ago, so it is likewise proofread and corrected. I tried formatting some images (in chapters I-24 and II-23) with non-rectangular text wrap, but I couldn't get it to look right and still be flexible enough for different screen sizes and orientations (and, worse, to have ADE do the "right thing"), so at the end I decided to leave those images as standard centered ones. Anyway, the CSS code is still there waiting to be uncommented by anyone interested

Any kind of feedback is welcome.

EDIT (v1.1): Renamed the "aux" to "auximg", as it might cause problems with Calibre on Windows.

EDIT (v2) : Updated to support the epub2pdf script.

(previous download count: 56)
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Sylvie and Bruno.epub (18.12 MB, 1313 views)

Last edited by Jellby; 09-26-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow, this looks great ! thank you jellby ! i can't believe i've never even heard of this book. i really look forward to reading it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
wow, this looks great ! thank you jellby ! i can't believe i've never even heard of this book. i really look forward to reading it.
I only know it because it's in the "Complete Illustrated Works" volume I bought a long time ago in Berlin
Old 07-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
I downloaded it, but I don't know how to "unzip" it so I can load it into Calibre.

Any suggestions?
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I downloaded it, but I don't know how to "unzip" it so I can load it into Calibre.

Any suggestions?
hm, i think jellby made a mistake when he wrote that. this file is an epub, you can load it directly to calibre / any device with epub support with no other manipulations necessary.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I only know it because it's in the "Complete Illustrated Works" volume I bought a long time ago in Berlin
nice ! that must be a gorgeous book, i'm jealous !
Old 07-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
hm, i think jellby made a mistake when he wrote that. this file is an epub, you can load it directly to calibre / any device with epub support with no other manipulations necessary.
That's what I tried first and got an error message. However, I HAD just downloaded Calibre's latest revision, 6.03. Could their be a disconnect there?

Thanks for answering, Zelda
AJ
Old 07-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
That's what I tried first and got an error message. However, I HAD just downloaded Calibre's latest revision, 6.03. Could their be a disconnect there?

Thanks for answering, Zelda
AJ
hm, if there is, it sounds like a bug to me, you might want to try again, and if you still get an error alert kovid. i've got calibre 6 something but not the latest version, and i had no trouble importing it.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
AJ Starr
Guru

I downloaded another epub from mobileread, one that they caution was large at 2 mb. Calibre worked fine.

I'm wondering if the 18mb is too large for Calibre.

Does anyone know?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:06 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
hm, i think jellby made a mistake when he wrote that.
Of course, it was copied from the PDF upload and I forgot to remove it

Quote:
I'm wondering if the 18mb is too large for Calibre.
I doubt it. I've opened it without problems with Calibre 0.6.0 (on linux).
Old 07-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
AJ Starr
Guru

Problems opening in Windows

I've posted this problem on the Calibre forum. Others had problems opeing in windows, though opening in Linux seems OK.

Maybe there is something you can do with your original code.

Thanks for your effort.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I've renamed the apparently problematic directory. Can you try now?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
AJ Starr
Guru

That was it!

Everything is working fine now.

Thanks for fixing it. And thanks for uploading the book, I'm sure I'll enjoy it now.

Tags
fantasy, humor, moral, nonsense