Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 12:13 AM   #106
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Depends on how you count. It will cost less than getting a separate Galaxy phone and Transformer but more than a Galaxy phone and Tab.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #107
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
If they're going after the consumer market then that's a strategy destined to crash and burn in spectacular fashion. That's too bad. I had hopes MS might have learned something this time around.

And if they're going after the techie/hobbysist market then someone deserves to be fired for that strategy.
Actually I think it's more of a business and gamer market.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #108
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Actually I think it's more of a business and gamer market.
Ehhhh .... honestly, I hope it works. I'd love to see Apple taken down a couple of dozen pegs. But .... I'm not hopeful at all.

(I'd insert an icon for "I really hope I'm wrong" if we had one)
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #109
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
If you're going to buy the tablet and dock, why not just get an ultra book?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #110
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
If you're going to buy the tablet and dock, why not just get an ultra book?
It depends upon how you're using the device. If you're using it for content consumptions, such as reading or watching videos, then a pure tablet makes sense since it is more comfortable to hold. If you are mostly entering data, ranging from casual emails to programming, then an ultrabook makes more sense. Yet what of the people who are doing both? The ability to add or remove the keyboard is a benefit.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #111
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
It depends upon how you're using the device. If you're using it for content consumptions, such as reading or watching videos, then a pure tablet makes sense since it is more comfortable to hold. If you are mostly entering data, ranging from casual emails to programming, then an ultrabook makes more sense. Yet what of the people who are doing both? The ability to add or remove the keyboard is a benefit.
This

I have an ASUS Transformer with dock. I can use it as a tablet when reading, watching video, but as a Netbook when participating on MR. The added battery in the dock is a huge benefit, especially on long haul flights to Asia.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #112
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Of course, when you can remove the keyboard it is much more convenient to hold when reading papers and magazines. Or watching videos, or taking notes on the screen. Ever tried browsing on the sofa with a laptop? So a PC with a removable/add-on keyboard is the best of both worlds. And you only need one device, instead of a tablet and a PC.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #113
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
The software developer who created Minecraft is refusing to support Windows 8

If you’re an avid Minecraft fan and just can’t get enough of the sandbox-style game, i hope you’re not planning to upgrade to Windows 8. The creator and developer of Minecraft, Markus Notch Persson, has stated that he won’t be bringing Minecraft to the Windows 8 platform because of Microsoft locking down(no surprise there) the new OS.

Microsoft contacted him about certifying Minecraft for Windows 8. The game developer gave them the finger by telling them to stop trying to ruin the PC as an open platform.
He added that he’d “rather have Minecraft not run on Windows 8 at all than to play along.”

Nice to see a software developer stand up to Microsoft than put there own greed first for a change.

He went on to protest Microsoft‘s new operating system in a way, mentioning that “maybe we can convince a few people not to switch to Windows 8 that way.” im not sure how many people will take his advice, but knowing that he’s a popular name in the gaming industry, I wouldn’t be surprised if plenty of gamers passed on a Windows 8 upgrade.

This wouldn’t be the first time that Persson has bashed Windows 8. In a Reddit AMA thread last month he stated, “I hope we can keep a lot of open and free platforms around. If Microsoft decides to lock down Windows 8, it would be very very bad for Indie games and competition in general…there’s going to be a lot of very interesting games in ten years, mixed in with the huge AAA games that we all love.”

Last edited by darksaber35; 09-29-2012 at 10:47 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #114
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
This wouldn’t be the first time that Persson has bashed Windows 8. In a Reddit AMA thread last month he stated, “I hope we can keep a lot of open and free platforms around. If Microsoft decides to lock down Windows 8, it would be very very bad for Indie games and competition in general…there’s going to be a lot of very interesting games in ten years, mixed in with the huge AAA games that we all love.”
Depends on how much you support economic Darwinism.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #115
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
BWinmill
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Of course, when you can remove the keyboard it is much more convenient to hold when reading papers and magazines. Or watching videos, or taking notes on the screen. Ever tried browsing on the sofa with a laptop? So a PC with a removable/add-on keyboard is the best of both worlds. And you only need one device, instead of a tablet and a PC.
First off, I have always disagreed with the notion of watching videos while holding a tablet for any length of time. I guess if you have to do it while standing on a train that might the only way but it isn't what I think of as useful or entertaining. Normally though you prop the tablet on something. Not that it is a matter of weight, but who holds their arm in a funny position for longer than 10 minutes or so anyway.
Propping on your lap or the arm of a chair is probably the best position.

A tablet is good for carrying around a minimum gadget that you can read easily and enter some of data on if necessary. My tablet or Kindle I can carry in a large pocket easily.

A netbook may be nearly as small as a tablet, but you have that keyboard and can enter a lot of data. I carry one most everywhere but I carry it in my bag usually, not my pocket. Also for typing, I have found a 11" is the practical minimum I want.

A tablet and a keyboard addition where the keyboard can expand out is the synergy of both worlds. You can leave the keyboard in the bag and minimize what is in your pockets.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #116
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Actually, watching a sitcom or 45 min drama on a 7" tablet in bed or while riding the bus isn't that bad. If I had small children it would probably be a great tool for keeping them quiet in the car until we reach our destination.