Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
DonalDuck
The Changer
DonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
Question Kindle vs. New Nook

So, I was like, I'm going buy kindle, but let me just wait for amazon press conference.
But then I found out that there is this new nook out there, and that some say it's best than kindle. For what i understood it isn't out yet, but i want to know, in your opinions which one is best and why.
PS: i like as much kindle's keyboard as nook's touchscreen; i would like to have some apps (will there be any for the new nook)?

Thanks,
DD
DonalDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The first decision you need to make is whether you want a tablet, or an eInk device. They are very different devices, and serve different purposes. That's something that only you can decide.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
DonalDuck
The Changer
DonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-books

e-ink device, for sure
Old 09-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
do you have a Barnes and Noble, Staples or a Best Buy in your area? The nook touch, if that's what you are referring to is there as well as the kindles you can play with each. The nook touch is more modern with it being a touch screen eink device and has a better form factor.

as far as the new nook color or the new kindle line, nobody knows anything on specs and hardware on either one, so nobody can what best's the other just yet.

but IMHO the nook STR bests the Kindle 3
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
DonalDuck
The Changer

Thanks for your replies
About the stores, no...
But why do you consider the nook is best than the kindle (only the touch factor) ?

DD

Last edited by DonalDuck; 09-26-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuck View Post
Thanks for your replies
About the stores, no...
But why do you consider the nook is best than the kindle (only the touch factor) ?

DD
for one yes the touch factor, and also the User interface as well. It really is one of the best UI's for an ereader. Also the form factor, it's wonderful to hold.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
DonalDuck
The Changer

thanks. I'll surely consider it

DD
Old 09-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuck View Post
thanks. I'll surely consider it

DD
you're welcome
Old 09-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
do you have a Barnes and Noble, Staples or a Best Buy in your area? The nook touch, if that's what you are referring to is there as well as the kindles you can play with each. The nook touch is more modern with it being a touch screen eink device and has a better form factor.

as far as the new nook color or the new kindle line, nobody knows anything on specs and hardware on either one, so nobody can what best's the other just yet.

but IMHO the nook STR bests the Kindle 3
Hey boswd, I actually went to Best Buy and Staples and while both have a Nook they are running in some kind of demo mode and you can't actually try it out. If I go to B&N can I actually use it or is similar with a demo mode that you can't get out of?

I agree with you with on form factor -- right away when I saw and held both Kindle 3 and Nook Touch difference is obvious, that's when I ruled out Kindle 3 in my search for an e-Ink device.

Last edited by log; 09-27-2011 at 10:24 AM.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Wait until Amazon makes its announcement tomorrow. We don't know what they are going to be selling.

Well, we think it is going to be their tablet but it could also include the K4.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Wait until Amazon makes its announcement tomorrow. We don't know what they are going to be selling.

Well, we think it is going to be their tablet but it could also include the K4.
Agreed. The obvious "prediction" everyone is making is a new LCD tablet. If you actually think about it, makes a lot of sense for Amazon to also announce a new e-Ink device for 4th quarter. If they don't they risk losing market share to B&N and Sony who have (or will soon release) compelling new touch screen e-Ink devices.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Hey boswd, I actually went to Best Buy and Staples and while both have a Nook they are running in some kind of demo mode and you can't actually try it out. If I go to B&N can I actually use it or is similar with a demo mode that you can't get out of?

I agree with you with on form factor -- right away when I saw and held both Kindle 3 and Nook Touch difference is obvious, that's when I ruled out Kindle 3 in my search for an e-Ink device.

That stinks, I guess it's up to each indiviual store, the ones near me let you play with it.

and Yes every barnes noble will let you actually use it. So you should be good to go there.
I've been fighting the temptation to buy it upgrading from my nook classic that I adore. I'm picking up the Asus Eee Pad Transformer in a couple of weeks, so how do I sneak the Nook STR by my wife as well?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
That stinks, I guess it's up to each indiviual store, the ones near me let you play with it.

and Yes every barnes noble will let you actually use it. So you should be good to go there.
I've been fighting the temptation to buy it upgrading from my nook classic that I adore. I'm picking up the Asus Eee Pad Transformer in a couple of weeks, so how do I sneak the Nook STR by my wife as well?
Buy it for HER.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
DonalDuck
The Changer

now, between kindle, kindle keyboard and kindle touch, which one do you consider best and why (please be specific)?

Thanks
DD
Old 09-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is no "best"; it depends what your needs are. You need to formulate your indivindual requirements, and then determine which device is the closest match to them.

In my own case, that's the Kindle 3. I use my Kindle largely to proof-read the eBooks that I create, and good annotation capabilities are vital to me. The physical keyboard of the K3 is a lot better for that than a touch screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote