Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
ja-mes
ja-mes began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Video Encoding Time for ipad output

My original video source is 1280x688, 2600 kbps bit rate and I wanted to convert it to Ipad maximum 1024x768 resolution. I used WinX HD Video Converter which has options to use ipad output.. It took 24 minutes just to convert 5 mins of the 90 minutes source... meaning, it would take over 7 hours just to convert a video source to ipad maximum resolution (lowering it would produce low quality video and you got an ipad to avail of its increased resolution). My output setting is 1000 kbps, video frame rate 29.97 and resolution 1024x768. Audio output is 128kbps, 44100 Hz. My computer is Core 2 duo 1.8 Ghz. How about you. What kind of computer do you use and how long is the encoding time? What settings do you use and most important.. what is the maximum video setting possible in the Ipad that can play it nicely or optimumly?
ja-mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
I use Handbrake for all my encoding, I just use the default High Profile setting. Each movie ends up somewhere between 1 and 2G in size and takes anywhere from 1-2 hours to encode. Looks great on my iPad and on my home theater system. For me, the convenience of encode once, play anywhere outweighs my storage concerns.

I'm not familiar with the application you're using, but you might want to check their support forums and see if there is any discussion on settings for the iPad using that application. Handbreak's support forums has some lively discussion about tweaking settings to what is "best" but I think you could spend far longer tweaking movies than watching them.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert