Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
surrealmind
Connoisseur
surrealmind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7, EB 1150, TC1100
Speaking of ePub...

All this talk about ePub on EBookwise got me searching, and I found this presentation by Garth Conboy (http://www.idpf.org/digitalbook09/Presentations/EPUB%20101.pdf) from May 2009. Check out page 49 where eBookwise is listed as an "EPUB Reading System." Then check out the "EPUB Demonstration" starting on page 60 and following--it's definitely the eBookwise screen (notice the eraser on the top left) with fancy formatting and multiple fonts (at least non-English fonts; see page 66)!

Do you think this is the mythical ETI-3, a re-engineering of the ETI-2 software, or just a bunch of images copied and pasted into the eBookwise frame?
surrealmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
EPUB Reading Systems Include:
* Adobe Digital Editions
* Sanza/iPhone
* MobiPocket
* Kindle
* eBookwise
* Sony Reader
* BEBOOK
* Bookworm
* iRex
* ETI’s eBook Technology Suite
So when is Kindle handling ePub?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
I'd love to see my eBookWise read ePub. It doesn't sound like a huge upgrade. ePub is not exactly rocket science. As for the Kindle, I can't believe Amazon doesn't have it working in the lab. But why roll it out if they don't see customer demand?

As a publisher, I'd LOVE to be able to make just one format conversion good for all readers (the ePub dream). So far, every supposedly universal format simply means one more format to offer. Right now, I offer seven (HTML, PDF, ePub, eReader, Mobi/Kindle, LIT and Sony LRF). By the way, does anyone read LIT any more?

Rob Preece
Publisher, BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
surrealmind
Connoisseur
surrealmind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7, EB 1150, TC1100
Quote:
Good point.
Quote:
By the way, does anyone read LIT any more?
Well, LIT converts to IMP beautifully, so I like it. I actually rather fancy the Microsoft Reader software too. Books look good and you can make all those annotations--if the right tablet PC (read:cheap and lightweight) were produced, and if Microsoft Reader were adapted to stylus use, LIT would be my format of choice.
surrealmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kindle, Mobipocket, and eBookwise can only use ePUB as an input source to convert from but not as a end user reading environment.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert