Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
8 to 9" ereader with frontlight

I've decided my Kobo Aura HD is working out nicely, and is displacing my tablet for book reading.

Now I'm wondering if there is something similar to the Kobo, but a little bigger. I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and the size seems about right for what I'm looking for.

It must have a frontlight, e-ink or similar technology, and support epub. I would prefer as much resolution as possible. I'm willing to wait if there is something on the horizon.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
It must have a frontlight, e-ink or similar technology, and support epub. I would prefer as much resolution as possible. I'm willing to wait if there is something on the horizon.
I'd be interested in something like that as well, but I'm not aware of anything with frontlight larger than the Aura HD. Nor anything on the horizon.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Cybook Ocean probably. Wait and see when bookeen gives more info.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
The Cybook Ocean may not have an e-ink display, sadly.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
As far as I know, there are technical issues with creating front light for devices bigger than the Aura HD as on larger surfaces the light visibly loses uniformity.
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by afainber View Post
As far as I know, there are technical issues with creating front light for devices bigger than the Aura HD as on larger surfaces the light visibly loses uniformity.
Well the Cybook will be 8" with a frontlight and e-ink clone screen, if the rumor is true. It still doesn't interest me much, because it's not much bigger than the Aura HD, and it has significantly lower resolution.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:51 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
Well the Cybook will be 8" with a frontlight and e-ink clone screen, if the rumor is true. It still doesn't interest me much, because it's not much bigger than the Aura HD, and it has significantly lower resolution.
Yup, same here. Bit of a pity; it would have been fun to go back to my roots (my first E-ink reader was the original 64M Cybook Gen3) .
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote