Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #31
measure
measure began at the beginning.

Device: none
Please remember that the actual manufacturer of the device, Onyx International, offered a fairly reasonable price to its Chinese market to upgrade to the M92 (as mentioned in other threads). In making this offer, it seems to me that they've admitted the M90 was an incomplete device. They haven't simply unconscionably abandoned their customers who bought the M90; they thoughtfully abandoned the M90.

These forums are not the most effective place to register these complaints. You should really be bugging the distributors as to why you were not offered a similar upgrade.

Thanks,
Ryan
measure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #32
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
It is a huge disappointment, particularly with the basic usability problems of the unit. It's rather unconscionable to be designing new models prior to fixing your current model so it actually functions.
What if the new OS is compatible with the old devices?
From what you guys posted here I understand that there are two major hardware problems:
1) the speaker (shielding)
2) the IR sensor

Are there any other hardware problems?
All the others may be software problems and they might be fixed in the new release. Your life might just be better with the new release, although not good but at least decent life. Not sure what they can do to fix the IR though.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #33
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I don't care about the hardware problems. It's the software problems.

It crashes.

It freezes.

One or the other, every time I try to use it.

In order to get it to unfreeze, (1) I have to plug it in, to either my iMac or a wall outlet. (2) Then I have to poke the reset button with a bent paperclip (god forbid they'd have built in one of those little reset appendages on the stylus). (3) Then I have to hit the power button to reboot it. I often have to repeat steps 2 & 3 multiple times before it will actually get to the home screen.

Wait for a new release? Yep, we're waiting.

and waiting.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #34
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by measure View Post
You should really be bugging the distributors as to why you were not offered a similar upgrade.

Thanks,
Ryan
It was not offered to us. Not even when we found out about it going on in Chine and inquired.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #35
longchuai
longchuai began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx boox M90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
It was not offered to us. Not even when we found out about it going on in Chine and inquired.
Its fair enough. Onyx US did not bother even answering my inquiry.

I have lost my hope for an exchange. However I hope that they can make a new firmware for M90, but I guess it would be the final firmware for this device,

Last edited by longchuai; 12-19-2011 at 08:29 PM.
longchuai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 04:17 AM   #36
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
The M92 is not out yet! 1.6 Firmware is not out yet!

If M92 was out with new firmware, and an update for all other readers wasnt at least announced, the complaint would have merit.
It is, since a couple of days.
Just read any Chinese or Russian forums.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #37
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The M92 is out, but you cannot download 1.6 firmware for any reader yet.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #38
thomas01155
Enthusiast
thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=23
Onyx Europe admitted that the device has faulty firmware, but they continue to sell the devices.
thomas01155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #39
Whipet
Enthusiast
Whipet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bebook 1, Onyx Boox M90
In January when the first reports of M92 instability and battery issues surface and then in June when Onyx happily annouce the M94 I may well not fall off my perch in surprise.
Whipet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #40
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Unconvinced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipet View Post
In January when the first reports of M92 instability and battery issues surface and then in June when Onyx happily annouce the M94 I may well not fall off my perch in surprise.
So you are not convinced by all the enthusiastic tests by shop-affiliates?
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #41
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
The M92 is out, but you cannot download 1.6 firmware for any reader yet.
It may be true, still the firmware 1.6 exists.
The new A62S have firmware 1.6.20111115.

Do not know (yet) which firmware version M92 has.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #42
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
It may be true, still the firmware 1.6 exists.
The new A62S have firmware 1.6.20111115.
Yes, 1.6 exists for at least one model, but please give them a chance to port it to the other models. It's too early to say whether or not they dropped support for older readers. We'll have to wait a bit longer (and 'a bit' could be as long a a few months!) before we can say for certain.

I hope you're wrong and they keep supporting all old models!
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #43
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Where can we read a comparison between 1.6 and the previous version?
In my view if they keep increasing the OS version that shows some continuity not a new OS.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #44
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Yes, 1.6 exists for at least one model, but please give them a chance to port it to the other models. It's too early to say whether or not they dropped support for older readers. We'll have to wait a bit longer (and 'a bit' could be as long a a few months!) before we can say for certain.

I hope you're wrong and they keep supporting all old models!
Hey, I did not say they would not support other models in general or M90 in particular.

Although as far as the M90 is concerned, there are several reasons to come to that conclusions.

Still, someone from Onyx Russia has told there're plans to port 1.6 to M90 devices. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #45
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Where can we read a comparison between 1.6 and the previous version?
In my view if they keep increasing the OS version that shows some continuity not a new OS.
have not seen the complete list.
Quote:
An interesting new feature is the export of handwritten notes in PDF files into a new separate file (PDF) that can be transferred to another device or computer.