Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
Schlutek
Schlutek doesn't litterSchlutek doesn't litter

Device: iPad, nook color, Kindle
Epub errors with invisible Mac files

I am trying to validate my epub files and am receiving the following warnings:

WARNING: /Volumes/IGS/BookProduction/eBook/NOLA/DC_F3497_Meet_Ebk/F3497_MeetC.epub: item (OEBPS/images/._DC_G1240_29_fmt.jpeg) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
WARNING: /Volumes/IGS/BookProduction/eBook/NOLA/DC_F3497_Meet_Ebk/F3497_MeetC.epub: item (OEBPS/images/._DM_Icon_fmt1.jpeg) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
WARNING: /Volumes/IGS/BookProduction/eBook/NOLA/DC_F3497_Meet_Ebk/F3497_MeetC.epub: item (OEBPS/images/._F3497_Eimg_Portraits_fmt4.jpeg) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file

[This is the same warning I get for about 80 different files in a single book]

I now know that the files not declared are invisible (ghost) files. But what is creating these files? And how do I avoid?
The files were created on my Mac by exporting from InDesign 5.5, unzipped using ePub UnZip 1.0.app script, edited with Dreamweaver, and then zipped with ePub Zip 1.0.3.app script. I've read mention of the unzip/zip script not removing files when re-unzip/zip'ing the files - might that be the issue?

Also, I've figured out how to view the invisible files on my Mac through the Finder. Do any of the invisible files I find need to be kept? Or do I need to go through, one by one, each of my warning errors and delete that way?

Much appreciation to any advice!
Schlutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Check the html. If they're not mentioned in the opf, but are in the HTML, then yes you need them and you need to add them to the opf. If they're not mentioned by either, then you do not need them.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The invisible files are used by the Finder to store metadata on filesystems for which the Mac OS is unable to store resources for. They can be deleted --- all you'll lose will be a custom icon, labeling, &c. which is Mac-specific.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Schlutek

Thank you both. I've deleted the invisible files and the epubcheck warnings are gone.

However, I am still curious what is creating these files and how I can avoid them. Does the unzip/zip script create these invisible files? Or is this "just a mac thing" and something that I will need to clean up each time?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
I get two files on my ereader when I put a book on from my mac, one is the book, the other who knows, is this what you mean? I can't find them on the mac, so I just delete them using my husband's PC. Works for me but not an option if you don't have access to a PC.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Could always try Hidden Cleaner 2... I have it in the Dock and instead of ejecting the reader/memory cards as normal just drag and drop onto the app icon... it removes all Mac invisible files and then ejects/dismounts the removable device/drive... just don't drop your Startup Disk on it or try it on a folder - bad idea - did it once and ended up reformatting a hard disk... it's for memory crds/USB memory sticks and device memory drives.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Schlutek

To view invisible files on a mac, I found these instructions:
http://kb.iu.edu/data/ajyj.html

I then deleted the invisible files from the epub folder. No more undeclared warnings