Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
notatechy
notatechy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Kobo touch

I'm totally new to ereaders and bought the new Kobo Touch ereader. In trying to set it up I connected my kobo to my computer before downloading the setup. Now my computer doesn't recognize when my kobo is even plugged in. I called tech support, told them my problem and told me they would email me a solution within the next few days. I have no idea what I need to do now. Can't wait to start using it but very frustrated that I screwed up the setup...so not computer literate!!
notatechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
What exactly is happening when you plug it in? Does the Safely Remove Hardware icon show up?
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi notatechy and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
notatechy

The Safely Remove Hardware icon doesn't come up at all and the Kobo set up says something like, 'have you connected your Kobo with your USB yet, we cannot detect it. Please connect to set up your account' or something like that.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try a different USB port and see if that changes anything. Is the Kobo charged?

Have a look at this thread, they had the same issue as you:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98206
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
notatechy

So I have tried all the other USB ports and still the same problem. The screen on my Kobo does change to 'connected and charging', then after a few seconds it goes back to the 'Welcome to Kobo' screen and it's like it's not plugged in at all. I'll check out the other threads, thanks for that.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Let us know if the solution in the other thread doesn't work. There is plenty more things we could try. I'm not sure how the setup works... Does it ask you to plug it in during installation?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome to MR
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
notatechy

So I got my Kobo working, and I'm really not sure how that happened...but very happy. My next question is, can I add a 2nd Kobo touch (my daughter's) to my computer. It hasn't been set up yet and I'm running into the same problem as before, not recognizing it when I plug it in. Any simple solutions?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Sounds like you need the drivers for the electronic reader. Drivers are little pieces of software that tell your PC how to connect to the Kobo Touch. I would suggest looking at Kobo's web site and looking for the drivers that you need.

Last edited by jbcohen; 06-12-2011 at 03:05 PM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:35 AM   #11
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Notatechy. Glad you fixed your problem somehow, but if you have other issues, you'll find a Kobo-dedicated sub forum here for quick advice from experienced users. Happy Koboing and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
notatechy

Got both Kobo's up and running thanks to everyone's help. Very much appreciated!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #13
Jessica Lares
Wizard

YAY! Great to hear! Have fun!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote