Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
It could be a good thing for some people. I like a lot of the services Google has offered so far. I don't have a data plan on my Galaxy S, so I won't be using this particular one, but I'm very interested to know how they handle the idea of reading in a browser and geographic restrictions. More competition is good, especially since I don't like the two currently dominant players all that much.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #17
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaigreg View Post
. . . customers will download titles accessible exclusively through a Web browser, instead of through an online store
Sounds like I won't be able to download the books to my Sony 950, which would mean that I would not buy from Google. I don't want to be connected to the Internet all the time and I do want to be able to read purchased ebooks on my dedicated ereader device.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #18
ebookrights
Banned
ebookrights began at the beginning.

Device: none
I read that users will be able to download books for offline reading.

Still prefer a dedicated reader app through.

Guess Google will provide better foreign languages support too. Other ebook sellers have been poor in this regard.

Hopefully there will not be $2.99 books whose copyright status is public domain.

I *guess* Google will make available the format and let other companies to build dedicated readers using technology such as e-ink.

I was about to get into Kindle, and start to build up my collection.

Now, I'll wait.
ebookrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #19
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Not for me. I do almost all my reading offline. The only time my wireless is on is when I'm downloading a book. Many times I down load the book directly to my computer and have calibre do the upload.

Having to be connected would be a non-starter for me.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #20
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookrights View Post
I read that users will be able to download books for offline reading.
Are you sure about that? Everything I've read has talked about this being in the cloud and any internet-connected device could read it through a browser. There was some speculation of local caching, but that was just speculation.

I like the concept as an alternative to what we have, even though I may never use it.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #21
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Books, in all forms, need to be portable to attract consumers. Google's estimate of 20% of the market seems like wishful thinking.
L.J.
The Sex Club (now $.99)
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:30 AM   #22
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I wonder if this is the begining of a set-up where Google will eventually unveil their own e-reading device.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:50 AM   #23
technogeekery
technogeekery began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
It looks like there will be downloadable content, in DRM or non-DRM protected epub and pdf formats. There is a user guide on Google Books for partners in the upcoming editions, and it includes this :

"Digital Rights Management for downloadable content
You can choose if you would prefer not to apply Digital Rights Management (DRM) software to the digital file download of your book. DRM is intended to make it more difficult for consumers to use purchased content in ways not authorized by its owner. If you choose to make your Google Edition available without DRM, then consumers will have more flexibility in using the content file.

Google will support Adobe ACS4 as its current provider of an industry-standard digital rights management (DRM) solution for downloaded files of Google Editions. Google will require users to link the Adobe DRM software in their Google Editions via a one-time authentication per reading system. These devices may then request ACS4 encrypted EPUB or PDF files via a Google-provided API."

So - looks like (for some content at least) we will be able to download epub or pdf for use offline. If this option is widely taken up by the partners, it means at last I will have another good source of current ebooks for my Sony. That should also be end of the virtual monopoly that Amazon/Kindle have. Bring it on!
technogeekery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:14 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by technogeekery View Post
So - looks like (for some content at least) we will be able to download epub or pdf for use offline. If this option is widely taken up by the partners, it means at last I will have another good source of current ebooks for my Sony. That should also be end of the virtual monopoly that Amazon/Kindle have. Bring it on!
This initiative from Google is US only, isn't it? Do you really think that it will have any impact at all for the overwhelming majority of people who are not in the US?

Last edited by HarryT; 12-02-2010 at 04:19 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:51 AM   #25
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Not for buying, no.

If it makes ereading more popular, though, it could mean more USA people buy books, crack them and upload them to philanthropically give their blocked fellow world citizens something to read. ;-)
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #26
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
If there's going to be anyway the books can be downloaded for offline use, then they're going to be cracked and made available in other formats. That genie isn't going to stay in the bottle.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #27
technogeekery
technogeekery began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This initiative from Google is US only, isn't it? Do you really think that it will have any impact at all for the overwhelming majority of people who are not in the US?
I believe the initial roll-out will be USA, and global rollout to follow. "Global" is likely to be limited, and geographic publishing restrictions will still apply. Not Google's issue, this is a publishing restriction. Yes, it will make a difference to those of us outside USA, at least those of us who refuse to accept artificial marketing constraints and do something to circumvent the controls.
technogeekery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #28
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Store appears open today. Unfortunately the only free books I can find are the Public Domain books and really the only cheap books I can find don't interest me much, so I'm having a hard time checking it out.

It does appear that you can download an ePub file. The Public Domain book I tried was just a straight download with no DRM. I'm sure the copyright book will have some sort of DRM attached but I can't say what as of yet.

I'm not sure I fully comprehend what has all the "expert analysts" so in a tizzy over this.

It looks to me to be the exact same catalog of books as what is already widely available from numerous stores at the exact same prices. What exactly does "Browser Reading from the cloud" gain anybody over Application or Digital Reader (Kindle, nook, etc) reading because I just don't get it. And most of all, what exactly took them years upon years to get this going?

Yet I've read 3 articles today proclaiming this to be a revolution! Is it just a big name with big bucks that could probably actually fight Amazon on the financial level if they want to? Is that the excitement?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #29
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
It looks like some non-free books can be downloaded while other's can't ("No download files included.")
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #30
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Yep, Google is open for business.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/07/bu...+hO7jEklfeoiXA

Apparently they are setting up some kind of affiliate-type program, so independent online bookstores can resell Google's ebooks.

It will be a mix of agency and non-agency priced books.

I'm sure it will work offline, but the basic idea is that the "home" of your purchases is in the cloud (Google's servers).
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote