Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
curiousgeorge
Connoisseur
curiousgeorge began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, Kindle Fire
Value of the guide

I know the guide is optional, but Ive always wanted to know if someone actually can see a real benefit with using it when coding .epubs.
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I don't know of any ePub reader actually using the guide. In theory, it could be something like a reduced TOC. The only use I know is for creating a Mobi file from the ePub.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
curiousgeorge
Connoisseur

I was under the impression the mobi files were creating a TOC based on the .ncx. I dont typically create mobi but it is something I plan to dive into this summer.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
I was under the impression the mobi files were creating a TOC based on the .ncx. I dont typically create mobi but it is something I plan to dive into this summer.
When you use Calibre to convert ePub > Mobi, the NCX ToC is used to built the linked ToC in the Mobi.

When you use Kindlegen to convert ePub > Mobi, the NCX ToC is ignored. You would need a ToC that's a list of links and a guide entry for the ToC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
curiousgeorge
Connoisseur

I dont use Calibre. I hard code EVERYTHING.. I refuse Calibre. It might have been an epub 3 from the toc.xhtml file some are using. I dont know but I will research more when I am ready. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I was under the impression the mobi files were creating a TOC based on the .ncx.
It depends on the tool you use. The old Mobi format uses the <guide> element, so I guess there are at least some converters that can use this information when available, rather than trying to guess it from the NCX.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
curiousgeorge
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It depends on the tool you use. The old Mobi format uses the <guide> element, so I guess there are at least some converters that can use this information when available, rather than trying to guess it from the NCX.
would be good to look into. Might have something to do with .mobi and .kf8
Old 03-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you don't care about Mobi (not sure about KF8), then you can leave out the guide.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you use Kindlegen to convert ePub > Mobi, the NCX ToC is ignored.
KindleGen does not ignore the .ncx file; the .ncx file is included in the .mobi file and can be used instead of the inline TOC for chapter navigation with eInk Kindles that support firmware 5.1 or higher (e.g. Kindle Touch). Even K3s support rudimentary .ncx navigation: users can select previous and next chapters with the 5-way button.

Quote:
would be good to look into. Might have something to do with .mobi and .kf8
This website contains a good introduction into recommended Kindle guide items. If you use inline TOCs in your epubs, I'd recommend including the following TOC guide item:

Code:
<guide>
	<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="toc.html" />
</guide>
This'll save users of older Kindles (K4 and lower) the hassle of opening your epubs with Sigil to check for the presence of an inline TOC and a corresponding guide item.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
KindleGen does not ignore the .ncx file; the .ncx file is included in the .mobi file and can be used instead of the inline TOC for chapter navigation with eInk Kindles that support firmware 5.1 or higher (e.g. Kindle Touch). Even K3s support rudimentary .ncx navigation: users can select previous and next chapters with the 5-way button.
The NCX is not converted to a ToC in Mobi. So when you use Kindlegen to convert an ePub with only an NCX ToC, the Mobi ends up with no ToC. That's what I mean by ignores the NCX.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
curiousgeorge
Connoisseur

so whats creating the TOC? Ill test this weekend!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
so whats creating the TOC? Ill test this weekend!
I assumed that you already created an inline TOC manually. If you didn't, you can generate one automatically with Sigil from the .ncx file.
However, this is only necessary for ePubs that you intend convert to Kindle files and only for older Kindles.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I don't know of any ePub reader actually using the guide.
Lucidor/Lucifox does use it, you can see the items in the guide instead of the items in the TOC, on the left panel of the app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toc.png
Views:	182
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	102702   Click image for larger version

Name:	guide.png
Views:	200
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	102703  
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote