Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #121
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's because you don't understand what the word "romance" means, in a literary context, Jon. It has nothing to do with "love stories".
"Romance" has multiple meanings in a literary context - and one of them most definitely does have to do with "love stories".

I think most of us know it's the "love story" context that this particular poll is all about.

What are the odds on the discussion about Romance descending into fisticuffs before the votes are counted?

Last edited by Sparrow; 01-21-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #122
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
"Romance" has multiple meanings in a literary context - and one of them most definitely does have to do with "love stories".

I think most of us know it's the "love story" context that this particular poll is all about.

What are the odds on the discussion about Romance descending into fisticuffs before the votes are counted?
That's what I presumed (love stories) when I read the category for this month. Not the the "classical definition" of romance.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #123
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
That's because you don't understand what the word "romance" means, in a literary context, Jon. It has nothing to do with "love stories". A romance was the predecessor of the novel, and was an adventure story, normally with "stock characters" such as a knight errant, and a heroic quest. The main character in "Don Quixote" attempts to be a figure out of a romance (with disastrous consequences).

Mallory's "Morte d'Arthur" is unquestionably a romance. "Robinson Crusoe" is arguably one.

Star Trek. There is a King, a loyal but flawed super knight, a soothsayer, etc. All versions of Trek follow the pattern. They are even arranged in a round setting, except the King always gets the good chair in the middle.

There's always a damsel in distress.

Never trust a stranger they meet in the forest (nebula, etc) because it is probably a fairy in the bad sense.

Why am I awake so early? Storms and lightning woke me up.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #124
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Of course it does, yes. I was just saying that the reason Jon didn't consider "Morte d'Arthur" to be a "romance" was simply that he was unaware of the original meaning of the word.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #125
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting nominations so far, but not much representing contemporary mainstream romance.

Anyone got a good example to suggest?
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #126
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Mallory's "Morte d'Arthur" is unquestionably a romance. "Robinson Crusoe" is arguably one.
I thought 'Robnson Crusoe' was supposed to be the first 'novel' (I think I remember that at least ).

Quote:
Of course it does, yes. I was just saying that the reason Jon didn't consider "Morte d'Arthur" to be a "romance" was simply that he was unaware of the original meaning of the word.
And I even posted a link to a definition of 'high romance'...

Quote:
Interesting nominations so far, but not much representing contemporary mainstream romance.

Anyone got a good example to suggest?
Contemporary mainstream romance seemed to be of little interest in the participants in this thread - why I suggested the 'Seven Gables' - but personally I wouldn't mind trying a 'real' romance novel, not just a novel with a love story or something equally almost, but not quite, a romance novel.

We have some real romance novel fans hanging out here; could you not suggest something that you'd suggest to people who've never read a romance novel before? Something well written and with a bit of something for everyone?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #127
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I thought 'Robnson Crusoe' was supposed to be the first 'novel' (I think I remember that at least ).

And I even posted a link to a definition of 'high romance'...

Contemporary mainstream romance seemed to be of little interest in the participants in this thread - why I suggested the 'Seven Gables' - but personally I wouldn't mind trying a 'real' romance novel, not just a novel with a love story or something equally almost, but not quite, a romance novel.

We have some real romance novel fans hanging out here; could you not suggest something that you'd suggest to people who've never read a romance novel before? Something well written and with a bit of something for everyone?
The problem is (at least on my end) is that I was hoping to get the guys involved, and in general they're not going to be interested in the modern romance books. But if one is looking for a place to start, I suggest "Romancing Mr. Bridgerton" by Julia Quinn. That's the book that got me started on romance
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #128
Sparrow
Wizard

I will second "Romancing Mr. Bridgerton" by Julia Quinn.

Dunno if I'll enjoy it, but it might be educational.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #129
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
There's lots of debate about when the transition from "romance" to "novel" occurred - that's why I said that Robinson Crusoe was "arguably" a romance. Many would say that the first genuine English novel was Samuel Richardson's "Pamela".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #130
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes, a good romance can appeal to anyone.
But try finding a good one. That's the problem. They either don't appeal to a wide range of people or they are just really poorly written or both.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #131
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But try finding a good one. That's the problem. They either don't appeal to a wide range of people or they are just really poorly written or both.
ARGHHH!!!! HOW WOULD YOU KNOW IF YOU'VE NEVER READ ONE???????

Sorry guys, my head is going to explode.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #132
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
ARGHHH!!!! HOW WOULD YOU KNOW IF YOU'VE NEVER READ ONE???????

Sorry guys, my head is going to explode.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #133
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I put my feelers out on a book review email list, asking for recommendations of romance novels that would appeal to both men and women. One of the founding premises of the list is that it's supposed to enable members to move beyond their reading comfort zone and take a chance on things they wouldn't normally consider reading.

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights keep popping up, so I'd like to nominate those. I can't find Bob's post with the books that already have three nominations, so I apologize if any of these already have 3 nominations.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #134
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights keep popping up, so I'd like to nominate those. I can't find Bob's post with the books that already have three nominations, so I apologize if any of these already have 3 nominations.
Sorry, but that just takes it too far. I don't care if they are classics or not, I cannot abide these books. Not saying they should be eliminated from the vote (after all majority rules) but I just wait till March then to read the book club book. And yes, I have read those books. Under protest even twice and they didn't improve (at least in my eyes).
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #135
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Could someone pass the popcorn, this is extremely entertaining
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote