Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-22-2023, 04:31 PM   #61
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
@Vanguard3000
If you have access to qt6, it includes a "qtdiag6" program that dumps all of the information about all of your screens including name and serial number.

Just to play with it on my macOS single screen system, I tried it and the SerialNumber info was blank. I think macOS has disabled reading that value to prevent "digital fingerprinting" your computer by web browsers and tracking software.

If Windows is doing something similar, then your monitors may be exactly identical.

If we can not figure out a solution, we can try adding debug info to a test version of Sigil to dump all of the screen information being detected by Qt6.5.2.

It might tell us something interesting.

Please just hold on until we get Sigil-2.0.1 out there first.

FWIW, I added some debug to my personal build on macOS with only one screen:

Quote:
Debug: Primary Screen: "U28E590" "" ""
Debug: geo : QRect(0,0 2560x1440)
Debug: avail geo: QRect(66,25 2494x1415)
Debug: devideRatio: 2
Debug: logical dpi: 72 72
Debug: physic dpi: 106.5 104.5
Debug:

All Screens
Debug: Screen: 0 "U28E590" "" ""
Debug: geo : QRect(0,0 2560x1440)
Debug: avail geo: QRect(66,25 2494x1415)
Debug: devideRatio: 2
Debug: logical dpi: 72 72
Debug: physic dpi: 106.5 104.5
In the first line it prints the name, manufacturer and then the serial number as collected by Qt6 along with some geometry related information. It does this for the detected Primary Screen as well as all screens.

As you can see macOS does NOT fill in either the manufacturer or the serial number information. If Windows does something similar, then the change to use SerialNumbers to distinguish otherwise identical monitors in Qt6.5.2 is bound to fail.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-22-2023 at 05:08 PM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 05:53 PM   #62
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
FWIW I run 2 monitors LG is the upper and Acer is the lower, both are 1920x1080 (W10 x64)
So far, 2.0 is not having issues with the screens. I run detached preview and other spread between monitors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monitors.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	203286  

Last edited by theducks; 08-22-2023 at 05:54 PM. Reason: forgot attachment
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2023, 08:06 PM   #63
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Is by chance RemoteDesktop involved at all?
No, i don't use RD on this machine.

Quote:
If you have access to qt6, it includes a "qtdiag6" program that dumps all of the information about all of your screens including name and serial number.
I don't have qt6. The closest I can get you are screenshots of the registry entries for the two monitors. A lot of the fields are the same, and there doesn't seem to be a specific SerialNumber field, so it's either being stored somewhere else (Device Manager doesn't have it, either) or it's not being stored at all, which is similar to your experience on macOS.

Quote:
If we can not figure out a solution, we can try adding debug info to a test version of Sigil to dump all of the screen information being detected by Qt6.5.2.
I would appreciate you doing that for me if it comes to it. It seems odd that no one else is having this issue (my setup is pretty stock) but I'm sure I won't end up being the only one hitting it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-22 195328.png
Views:	46
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	203290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-22 195402.png
Views:	43
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	203291  
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 08:34 PM   #64
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
my crash with the add existing files also occurred when i tried placing the image in my home folder that has no folders or files with diacritics or accents. perhaps the crash log indicated something different there. i’ll take a look later and experiment. my system is in another language but i think that is taken care of by some hidden dot file and affects only Finder and apps that use some native API to display localized names.

I forgot the reason mentioned when I once asked for native file dialogs. any chance there could be some at least hidden preference? i don’t know what would be missing from such but at least on macOS, one would get benefits such as being able to drag a file or folder from Finder or elsewhere to the open file dialog and have it switch and select. one would also get other benefits such as using the app Default Folder X that enhances the dialog with controls such as favorites, easier navigation, search, and other.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 09:15 PM   #65
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@democrite,
Files do not need diacritics to be have invalid utf-8 sequences. Invisible control characters can be inside. Also unicode normalization differences can occur. Linux boxes allow any byte sequences to exist in file names so non-utf8 sequences do exist.

You could try zipping up that image file and posting it so I can test with it.

We use non-native file dialogs as there were many crashing issues without them. You can drag and drop folders on the file open dialog left hand panel and they will be remembered as a favourite. There is no functionality lost with using non-native dialogs, they are just different.

Please just post a zip of the image folder that is causing this issue so that I can replicate this error. If private, just pm KevinH (me) with a link here on MobileRead.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-23-2023 at 09:43 AM.
Advert
Old 08-22-2023, 10:16 PM   #66
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@Vanguard3000,
I have been reading up on how to set the primary display and found out it can be set in Windows and it can also be set in graphics driver software.

Please see this link and check to make sure that the graphics driver software agrees with what you set in the Windows Displays.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/change...indows-11.964/
Old 08-23-2023, 12:05 AM   #67
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have been reading up on how to set the primary display and found out it can be set in Windows and it can also be set in graphics driver software.
Unfortunately, yes, they are in agreement. NVIDIA Control Panel shows the same information (I believe the monitor arrangement settings is just a frontend for the same data Windows' control panel uses). I've tried rearranging the displays, and switching primary display to no avail.

One thing I might try tomorrow is swapping the cable ports on my card and see if that helps.

[Edit] Okay I tried that and the issue persists. It seems to just hate the "primary" display for some reason.

Last edited by Vanguard3000; 08-23-2023 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2023, 12:46 PM   #68
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@Vanguard3000,

It appears you are not the only one with this exact two monitor problem. We received a bug report on our Github site that reported something very similar to what you reported.

I asked them if they had two absolutely identical monitors and the answer is was "yes".

So it does appear that the change in Qt 6.5.2 to use serialNumbers and not user set-able display names seems to be broken for some reason.

I have created a debug build to hopefully help figure that out, but unfortunately our automated Windows Continuous Improvement build system on github is temporarily broken. When it gets fixed, I will post it for you.
Old 08-23-2023, 12:50 PM   #69
Vanguard3000
Groupie

@KevinH,
Well, I guess it's a good thing to know I'm not alone, although maybe you're not as happy about it as I am. I saw your commit earlier on GH and look forward to checking it out.
Old 08-23-2023, 12:55 PM   #70
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I know it makes no sense to do so, but have you tried changing the scaling used on one of the two monitors to see if that impacts the issue.
Old 08-23-2023, 02:21 PM   #71
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@Vanguard3000,

DiapDealer was able to fix the Continuous Improvement Windows build. I grabbed the built installer and posted it to one of my personal github repos.

This debug build will require you to set an environment variable to enable the debugging information.

To run the test:

- remove the complete Sigil Preferences folder and all its contents (back it up first if you so desire) to start clean.

- install the debug Sigil

- set an environment variable:

SIGIL_DEBUG_LOGFILE

to be a full path to a location and file name on the disk.

On my macOS I point this to my home folder's Desktop to a file called debug.txt as follows:

SIGIL_DEBUG_LOGFILE=/Users/kbhend/Desktop/debug.txt

It will create that exact file and store the debug info in it

- Then launch the debug Sigil.

On startup it will write what Qt thinks are your primary screen name and the info on all other screens. Given your setup it should point at your left screen as primary but I am thinking it will point to your right screen.

Please post that debug.txt file here and we can start with that. If more info is needed we can then repeat the process with a different test build of Sigil with more debug print statements added.

Here is the link:

https://github.com/kevinhendricks/Bu...nMac/releases/

The file you want is the Windows Sigil installer named "sigil-installer.zip"

When done, do not forget to remove that environment variable setting otherwise that file will build up over time and slow Sigil down.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-23-2023 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-23-2023, 02:33 PM   #72
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Actually, the installer is inside sigil-installer.zip. Github Actions insists on zipping all artifacts. Even those that are already ultra-compressed installers. So just unzip it to get to the regular Sigil installer.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 02:33 PM   #73
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
For the add existing file crash, I tried placing the image in /Users and that works fine. It's not the image.

Adding Desktop to the left hand panel and then selecting it doesn't result in a crash while navigating from root to select desktop still does.

There is some functionality still mising from native dialogs. Perhaps with qt6 the crashes are gone and I'm not sure if you're willing to give it a try. Maybe I'm particular about the little details and refinement, e.g. at least one dialog from what I recall where for an example there is some list control and keyboard shortcuts such as arrow keys normally work in other apps but didn't there.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 02:37 PM   #74
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@democrite,
I really need a way to recreate this issue on my machine.

So some folder name along the way to your Desktop is the issue.

So please create a nesting of folders with names copied from others that show the problem (rename then as needed) and store that image file in it and zip it up and post it here so that I can accurately recreate this bug.

It may actually be a permissions issue, an encoding issue, a anti-virus issue, a system extension issue, etc.

I need to be able to reproduce it to fix it.

If this issue is actually created by non-native file dialogs and I can prove that, I will revert to using native dialogs in the future, but I will need proof.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-23-2023 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2023, 03:00 PM   #75
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Also keep in mind that Sigil is never going to be 100% aesthetically mac. Nor is it going to be 100% aesthetically Windows. Sigil, first and foremost, needs to work on three different platforms with the same codebase. Hopefully without crashing on any of them. If disabling native file dialogs on one platform makes keeping things stable on three platforms easier, then that is what we will do.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote