Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-22-2023, 08:15 AM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
Am I the only one with the issue I mentioned earlier? I've tried reinstalling fresh and it didn't help the issue at all. As far as I'm aware I don't have anything odd going on with my dual monitor setup, but it's odd that no one else has mentioned it.

(I don't mean to rush; I'm happy keeping with 1.9.20 for the moment; I just want to see if its on the radar).
I just don't have any convenient way to test multiple monitor issues.

I would be tempted to say one might try deleting the mainwindow geometry entry in Sigil's ini file. The ini file in question is sigil_v6.ini starting with Sigil 2.0. Changes in Qt6 made us upgrade the original INI. We wanted to make sure people could safely update to Sigil 2.0 and roll back to an older Qt5 version with no difficulty.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-22-2023 at 08:21 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 08:16 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I just don't have any convenient way to test multiple monitor issues.
You might if you can stream to one of your TVs and set the computer to use each monitor as a different screen (not just duplicate). Or you could plug the TV into a laptop for use as a second monitor..
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2023, 08:58 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You might if you can stream to one of your TVs and set the computer to use each monitor as a different screen (not just duplicate). Or you could plug the TV into a laptop for use as a second monitor..
Just stop, Jon. Please stop trying to help with Sigil issues. And please don't try to give me hardware setup advice. You're only embarrassing yourself.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:13 AM   #34
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I would be tempted to say one might try deleting the mainwindow geometry entry in Sigil's ini file.
When I did a fresh install yesterday I got rid of that whole
Code:
AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil
folder (removing it to a backup location) and it didn't work, but at your suggestion I tried both removing the geometry line from the ini file as well as nuking the whole folder and restarting Sigil and the problem persists.

One additional detail I've noticed is that it affects all dropdown menus - it occurs with the find & replace options as well. I can also say that the menus always seem to appear at the correct Y value; it's just the X value is 0 on monitor 2 instead of where it should be.

Good luck in looking into this, and please don't hesitate to ask here or in a PM if you need me to try anything else to help diagnose the issue.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 09:16 AM   #35
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
Great to see the update.

I have a different crashing issue on macOS Ventura, Apple Silicon. Trying to add an existing file, an image, it seems to occur either when navigating to a particular folder or selecting some file. I'm not sure if it's one or the other or both. Tried 4 or 5 times so far without success. It seems to not happen until I navigate to some folder with images. If it helps, here's the crash log.
Thanks for your bug report. Your backtrace shows that is not a segfault crash but instead something deep inside Apple's CoreFoundation is calling ABORT because of an illegal character in a path or a file name or a file name suffix.

You could try renaming the folder with images to something simple, and moving that folder into your Desktop. Then try manually renaming each image file one by one to try to track down which file/folder name Apple is complaining about.

It is probably an illegal non utf-8 character or a character not allowed to be in a file name or path (reserved).

If you can track the issue down and create a reproducible test case I would be happy to take a look at it. But without a means to reproduce it, I have no way to help.

Alternatively, zip up the problem folder of images and PM KevinH with a link and I will try and see if there is anything I can detect.

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 08-22-2023 at 10:21 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2023, 09:21 AM   #36
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When I did a fresh install yesterday I got rid of that whole
Code:
AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil
folder (removing it to a backup location) and it didn't work, but at your suggestion I tried both removing the geometry line from the ini file as well as nuking the whole folder and restarting Sigil and the problem persists.

One additional detail I've noticed is that it affects all dropdown menus - it occurs with the find & replace options as well. I can also say that the menus always seem to appear at the correct Y value; it's just the X value is 0 on monitor 2 instead of where it should be.

Good luck in looking into this, and please don't hesitate to ask here or in a PM if you need me to try anything else to help diagnose the issue.

I believe this is a known bug in Qt6 with multiple monitors that Qt is already aware of. I will see if I can find the appropriate bug report.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:35 AM   #37
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I believe this is a known bug in Qt6 with multiple monitors that Qt is already aware of. I will see if I can find the appropriate bug report.
Hmm, looks like you're right. I didn't see any successful workarounds at a quick glance.

So I guess barring rolling back or unwieldy workflow adjustments on my end that's... just... it?

Last edited by Vanguard3000; 08-22-2023 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:19 AM   #38
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Hmm, looks like you're right. I didn't see any successful workarounds at a quick glance.

So I guess barring rolling back or unwieldy workflow adjustments on my end that's... just... it?
A found a bunch of Qt Bugs that could be related but many required the dpi of the two screens to be different or use fractional scaling.

Could you please post a link to the Qt6 bug report you found so I can take a look and see if any patch fixes are available.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:19 AM   #39
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I have accepted that programs rarely work perfectly with dual monitors and manually move things around when needed.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 10:49 AM   #40
Vanguard3000
Groupie

Quote:
Could you please post a link to the Qt6 bug report you found so I can take a look and see if any patch fixes are available.
The closest I can find referring to the issue in 6.x is this forum post, regarding 6.2.3 which refers to the issue in 5.x. There isn't really any resolution aside from using a newer version (which of course you are).

I'll keep looking for newer reports.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:58 AM   #41
KevinH
Sigil Developer

That report (https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-84462) shows a patch to fix it. I checked that patch against Qt-6.5.2 sources and that fix is already in Qt6.5.2.

So it must be some other bug.

That bug was specific to QToolButtons and not QMenu's. Your image shows a QMenuBar QMenu showing up on the wrong screen.

My guess is that your "Primary Screen" is set in Windows Display to be the screen on the right.

Are you by chance launching Sigil on that screen on the right first, and then manually moving it to the left screen?

If so try moving it back to the right screen before closing Sigil. and repeat the test.

Does it show any difference when you change the screen's relative locations in Windows Display control panels?

What dpi are your monitors and what scalings are you using?

Last edited by KevinH; 08-22-2023 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-22-2023, 11:00 AM   #42
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Perhaps someone with Sigil on Windows can try that (right clicking on the Misc folder in BookBrowser), and report back. Perhaps also try it on the previous release as well and report back just in case it is Qt version related.

If it is not-global, most crashing has to do with some software you have installed interfering with Sigil or Qt. This can be system extensions, anti-virus software, Defender, etc. Try telling Defender/anti-virus software to leave Sigil alone, try restarting with extensions disabled, etc.

Make sure you have full read and write access to Sigil's Preferences directory and all its subfolders.

Another reason for crashing is due to too old graphics drivers that do not work with Qt (Sigil's gui software). Try updating your Graphics driver.

Next try disabling graphics acceleration in Sigil Preferences and restart Sigil.
Confirmed W10 x64.
Even worse: I click on Misc on the blank book that Sigil launches with
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 11:09 AM   #43
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Do your 2 monitors use different scaling?

You might want to take a peak at these bug reports to see if any match your situation:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-112911
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-102356
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-102982
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-101947

If you find one, please let me know and I can check if a fix is already in Qt 6.5.2 or not.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-22-2023 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-22-2023, 11:09 AM   #44
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Confirmed W10 x64.
Even worse: I click on Misc on the blank book that Sigil launches with
Already fixed. See later posts in this thread.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2023, 11:26 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

The title of that one is "QMenu appears at the wrong position without Per-Monitor DPI awareness". Yet, per-monitor dpi awareness is the default for Qt6.