Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-12-2022, 01:14 AM   #16
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
  • Add CSSToolbox and GUI to help users create, manipulate, and merge multiple css stylesheets/selectors (@Tex2002ans)
    • merge selectors across separate css stylesheets
    • delete selectors from a stylesheet
    • strip out a set of properties across all selectors and stylesheets
    • compare two selector property lists to find matching selectors across stylesheets
I would find CSSToolbox useful. Also, if possible, merge selectors within a single stylesheet for those messy stylesheets that have the same selector more than once. Though I realize this raises issues in the cascade, so may not be practical ...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I’m just curious. What good does an html editor do for CSS files?? They are just text…
I usually edit CSS files in an external editor so I can see CSS and HTML side-by-side — CSS in the external editor window and HTML in Code View. When I save the CSS file, the changes are then reflected in Preview. Everything is open, no hopping back and forth between windows
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:20 AM   #17
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I usually edit CSS files in an external editor so I can see CSS and HTML side-by-side — CSS in the external editor window and HTML in Code View. When I save the CSS file, the changes are then reflected in Preview. Everything is open, no hopping back and forth between windows
Now That would be awesome. Is there any way one of the tabs in the main window could be detachable into it's own window or even dockable to the outside??

...probably not a tab...but maybe opening css in its own window?
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2022, 09:07 AM   #18
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes use "Open With".

Quote:
Now That would be awesome. Is there any way one of the tabs in the main window could be detachable into it's own window or even dockable to the outside??

...probably not a tab...but maybe opening css in its own window?
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #19
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Yes use "Open With".

*muttering* But I can't dock it inside Sigil *sigh*
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:51 AM   #20
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No room left.
Advert
Old 03-12-2022, 11:52 AM   #21
patch3001
patch3001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Sigil 0.4.0 vs latest...

Hello All,

It's my first time on this Forum, but I've using Sigil for my personal purpose for more than 10years.

With my OCD, I want to books to look the same. So I spend lots of time fixing the books I read. And even some I won't read...

Back then, it was Sigil 0.4.0.
Somethings were annoying... but it was good enough for my own use.
For one thing, the search thru a big book took forever, while the count was instant. Go figure !

I installed the version 0.7 when it came out, but I had to keep the old version 0.4.0, because some features the were not in the latest version, were in 0.4.0.
For example, the Search "Match Whole Word Only", which I didn't find in the latest version.

Also, in 0.4.0, if I wanted to remove <span class="blabla"> thru the whole book, sigil removed also the </span>, which is nice ! That feature was removed.
Now I have to rely on the tiddy feature, which failed to my expectation.

I didn't bother to install the following versions, since, in my opinion, the improvements were merely cosmetic.

I tried the latest version, but once again, I have to keep 0.4.0, because, now there is no more Book view, which at least was in 0.7.

Is there hope, to add some "old" features in the following versions ?

Thanks
patch3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:21 PM   #22
KevinH
Sigil Developer

No.

We have no interest in returning to old broken html tidy that could and would strip out valid code or lose whole chunks, nor allowing BookView to create broken html.

If you think epub3 support, gumbo repair parsing, checkpoints, all plugins (including TagMechanic, epubcheck, eReaders, AccessAide, and ...), reports, difference highlighting, support for various epub layouts, and etc. are only cosmetic, then you should definitely stay with the old version.

Sorry, but Sigil is never going back to those days.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-12-2022 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:23 PM   #23
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch3001 View Post
Also, in 0.4.0, if I wanted to remove <span class="blabla"> thru the whole book, sigil removed also the </span>, which is nice ! That feature was removed.
Now I have to rely on the tiddy feature, which failed to my expectation.
The Tag Mechanic plug-in will do exactly what you are looking for, and more besides.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:28 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
The Tag Mechanic plug-in will do exactly what you are looking for, and more besides.
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔
Just remember you need to select the files in the book browser (scope: range to apply) when using the Sigil plugin
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 01:07 PM   #25
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
... I usually edit CSS files in an external editor so I can see CSS and HTML side-by-side — CSS in the external editor window and HTML in Code View. When I save the CSS file, the changes are then reflected in Preview. Everything is open, no hopping back and forth between windows
Quote:
Now That would be awesome ...
Not "would" be awesome, it IS awesome! I've been using "Open With" to do this for years

ETA:

Quote:
I didn't bother to install the following versions, since, in my opinion, the improvements were merely cosmetic.
What the ...

Last edited by odamizu; 03-12-2022 at 01:12 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 03:14 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I tried the latest version, but once again, I have to keep 0.4.0, because, now there is no more Book view, which at least was in 0.7.
Speaking as someone who gave up on BookView when I realized that making what appeared to be a minor change in BookView could make a total mess of the code which then cost me a waste of time and effort to clean up. The Preview pane does 99% of what I used BookView for and PageEdit covers the remaining 1%.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:46 PM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Yes use "Open With".
FWIW (Windows 10, Sigil 1.7) - If I try to edit a .CSS file via Open With "Sigil" I get a "No importer for file type: css" and a second instance of Sigil with an 'empty' book.

If I try to edit an .HTML file via Open With "Sigil" it works - but I am not sure of the ramifications - feels dodgy to me.

Aside: AFAIK there's no way to remove an Open With setting, other then editing the .ini file.

provide an option to hive a CV tab off into a separate detached window.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-12-2022 at 05:50 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:55 PM   #28
patch3001
patch3001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
We have no interest in returning to old broken html tidy that could and would strip out valid code or lose whole chunks, nor allowing BookView to create broken html.
I don't get it.
What is such a big deal to edit the Preview Window ?
it used to work fine.
I'm trying to understand, here.
patch3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:59 PM   #29
KevinH
Sigil Developer

No, We were saying use Sigil's OpenWith menu to open a CSS file in another application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
FWIW (Windows 10, Sigil 1.7) - If I try to edit a .CSS file via Open With "Sigil" I get a "No importer for file type: css" and a second instance of Sigil with an 'empty' book.

If I try to edit an .HTML file via Open With "Sigil" it works - but I am not sure of the ramifications - feels dodgy to me.

Aside: AFAIK there's no way to remove an Open With setting, other then editing the .ini file.

provide an option to hive a CV tab off into a separate detached window.

BR
Old 03-12-2022, 06:06 PM   #30
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
I don't get it.
What is such a big deal to edit the Preview Window ?
it used to work fine.
I'm trying to understand, here.
Then read the sticky posts that explain it ...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321081

Also html tidy that removed unpaired tags also removed much too much on occasion.

We have plugins like TagMechanic to work with tags and a separate app called PageEdit to do simple wysiwyg editing while forcing the user to see the code in CodeView to fix the mistakes live xhtml editing makes in xhtml code.