Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-19-2019, 05:16 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Might be a Qt thing. The only thing I can think of that changed in this area was the prevention of native dialogs on MacOS. Or something about native dialogs anyway. it was a crash-prevention change as I recall.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:23 AM   #17
Senior47
Senior47 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Senior47 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Senior47 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Senior47 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
After updating, Sigil 1.0.0 (64bit) randomly creates blank pages when I am using "Ctrl + Return" to split a page.
From 7 up to 23 (so far) new empty pages! A bug or something on my pc? I'm on Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Svein
Senior47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2019, 06:19 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior47 View Post
After updating, Sigil 1.0.0 (64bit) randomly creates blank pages when I am using "Ctrl + Return" to split a page.
From 7 up to 23 (so far) new empty pages! A bug or something on my pc? I'm on Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Svein
I'm not familiar with the sequence. Is Ctrl + Return the keyboard shortcut for the Split at Cursor feature, or are you referring to something else entirely?
Old 12-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I certainly haven't been able to duplicate your issue on Linux when using Split at Cursor (with the menu or the Ctrl+Return keyboard shortcut). I'll test on Windows in a bit.

EDIT: Everything seems to working as expected on Windows 10, as well. I've even split markup that has improperly nested tags and haven't seen any blank pages.

Do you mean it's creating additional empty file in your ebook, or that existing files appear to be empty (in either Code View or Preview)?

How about some screenshots pre- and post-split to get an idea of what you're seeing?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-19-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #20
Senior47
Senior47 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Senior47 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Senior47 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Senior47 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Do you mean it's creating additional empty file in your ebook, or that existing files appear to be empty (in either Code View or Preview)?

How about some screenshots pre- and post-split to get an idea of what you're seeing?
Sorry, I have no screenshot, I'll try to explain/clearify a bit: This error just happens occasionally, not every time.
I wrote "pages" - in Sigil the correct name is "Section"...

I have a page/Section - e.g "Section_0031", which I then will split into a number of new sections. So when I split "Section_0031" I get a new page "Section_0032", which I then split again to a new page "Section_0033"

When the "split-error" occurs, e.g on "Section_0031", I end up with a bunch of empty sections, from "Section_0032" to "Section_00XX", where only the last Section have content.

Today I've got two errors, first it made pages from "Section_30" to "Section_38" where Section_31 to 37 where empty, then it creating "Section_38" to "Section_62" where page 38-61 where empty.
Yesterday: 45 and 61 empty sections...
I think Sigil throw an error when this occurs, someting like "can't split here" but I'm not sure, it's just a flash and disapear.

And yes, Ctrl+Return is keyboard shortcut for "Split At Cursor"

Svein
Advert
Old 12-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #21
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
kris33 and Odamizu,

Okay, I spent some time debugging this problem. This is just more Qt nonsense. The native FileDialog knows about .app files on macOS but the non-native dialog treats a ".app" just like a normal directory and since the dialog is asking for an file (not a directory) it ignores it.

So in order for someone on macOS to actually select an .app Sigil must use a the native FileDialog, but those native Dialogs caused leftover dialogs at times under earlier testing.

So the only way to deal with this is to revert to using native dialogs for just the Open With and External XHtml Editor selections but keep to non-native dialogs everywhere else to minimize the chances of leftover dialogs.

The workaround for XHtml Editor prefs is easy - simply type in the path, but there does not seem to be an easy path to workaround this for Open With.

So in a couple of days (just in case new bug reports come in) I will create a new macOS build that will use native dialogs in those two places.

Sorry about that.

KevinH.

ps. Odamizu, when you get a free moment would you grab today's travis build and verify that it actually works without any leftover Preferences or Open With dialogs hidden underneath? I could never recreate that bug both you and Vroni were seeing so I am hoping upgrading to Qt 5.12.6 may have fixed that issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Wow, I use Open With ... BBEdit all the time. But I never tried setting the external XHTML editor.

When I tried just now (through Preferences > General Settings > Set your preferred alternative xhtml editor), it wouldn't let me select BBEdit.app. Instead, it treated BBEdit.app as a folder (or package). When I opened it, I got the package contents, and when I drilled down to what I think is the executable, it was greyed out and I couldn't select it.

I am on macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra using Sigil 1.0.0.

ETA: Oh, double wow. I just tried to add PageEdit as my preferred alternative xhtml editor, and the same thing happened. What's more, when I tried Open With ... PageEdit, the same thing happened again.

It seems the only reason I can Open With ... BBEdit is because I had already set that in previous versions of Sigil way back when.

I just did a clean install, deleting my Sigil folder in Library > Application Support, and I can't add any application with Open With or Set preferred alternative xhtml editor.

Last edited by KevinH; 12-19-2019 at 10:42 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry, I have no screenshot, I'll try to explain/clearify a bit: This error just happens occasionally, not every time.
I wrote "pages" - in Sigil the correct name is "Section"...

I have a page/Section - e.g "Section_0031", which I then will split into a number of new sections. So when I split "Section_0031" I get a new page "Section_0032", which I then split again to a new page "Section_0033"

When the "split-error" occurs, e.g on "Section_0031", I end up with a bunch of empty sections, from "Section_0032" to "Section_00XX", where only the last Section have content.

Today I've got two errors, first it made pages from "Section_30" to "Section_38" where Section_31 to 37 where empty, then it creating "Section_38" to "Section_62" where page 38-61 where empty.
Yesterday: 45 and 61 empty sections...
I think Sigil throw an error when this occurs, someting like "can't split here" but I'm not sure, it's just a flash and disapear.

And yes, Ctrl+Return is keyboard shortcut for "Split At Cursor"

Svein
I'm guessing it's a sticky return key.

Seriously ... I just placed the cursor where I wanted to split; held down the Ctrl key and hit the Return key and held it down. Guess what I ended up with? A bunch of new pages that look empty in Preview (don't have any body content in Code View) between the original page and the first split page.

It makes sense why it's happening. After the initial split, the cursor is going to be at the beginning of any content. So any split action after that (intentional or otherwise) is going to leave new pages with no content.

You either need a dust-buster, or you need to adjust the delay on your keyboard repeat function.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #23
Senior47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm guessing it's a sticky return key.

You either need a dust-buster, or you need to adjust the delay on your keyboard repeat function.

Sticky return key? Hmmm...
Seems odd, this is the only place where it seems to be sticky... Would have thought it would have appeared other places. No dust around, so I will try with another keyboard.

Thanks so far!
Old 12-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sticky return key? Hmmm...
Seems odd, this is the only place where it seems to be sticky... Would have thought it would have appeared other places. No dust around, so I will try with another keyboard.

Thanks so far!
Well something is causing Sigil to get multiple Ctrl+Return requests--but only occasionally. A sticky key, or an overly sensitive auto-repeat are the only things I can think of that fits every single one of the given symptoms.

There's very few situations where a sticky return key would cause such drastic, and easily noticed results. A few extras lines here or there in documents, but new files being created? That's going to be hard to miss.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #25
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updated! macOS Release: Sigil.app-1.0.0a-Mac.txz

Sigil macOS Users,

I have updated the Sigil-1.0.0 release for macOS to now include the bug fix for the broken "Open With..." and "External XHtml Editor" bugs.

If this bug fix is important for your usage pattern, please download and install:

Sigil.app-1.0.0a-Mac.txz

from our normal Release page. As with all macOS release builds, it will be signed by me and should have the following sha 256 checksum:

69cfc36ffec87e3c701b5ce46a9c45280a81c5378ec89596a9 6edf74e9a07037 Sigil.app-1.0.0a-Mac.txz

The only change is to fix the ability to use the FileDialog to select .app files in Open With and External XHtml Editors.

Hope this helps,

KevinH
Old 12-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #26
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Thanks KevinH! You are too fast for me.

I downloaded 1.0.0a and ran some tests.

I did get one leftover dialog box related to setting Open With that I could only get rid of by Quitting Sigil. But when I tried to replicate it, I couldn't. I ran a bunch of other tests with no problems.

Given that it only happened once when setting Open With — but not when using Open With — this does not seem like a bug worth chasing Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
... This is just more Qt nonsense ...

ps. Odamizu, when you get a free moment would you grab today's travis build and verify that it actually works without any leftover Preferences or Open With dialogs hidden underneath? I could never recreate that bug both you and Vroni were seeing so I am hoping upgrading to Qt 5.12.6 may have fixed that issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
... I have updated the Sigil-1.0.0 release for macOS to now include the bug fix for the broken "Open With..." and "External XHtml Editor" bugs ....
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #27
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
OK, fill me in a bit please? The general message seems to be that Sigil 1.0.0 liberates us from 'obeying the rules'. But why do I WANT to create eBooks with a non-standard structure? Will the readers and distribution services out there accept them? I'm impressed, but confused.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #28
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes readers and distribution services have long accepted various epub layouts, not just what Sigil forced.

The primary advantage comes with the ability to edit any epub without forcing it to change layout. This becomes especially true under epub3 and the use of javascripts that might want specific file locations and structure to remain unchanged in order to continue to work.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #29
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
OK. Thanks. So, when creating an EPUB I just carry on as usual, there's no immediate benefit to changing the defaults?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #30
KevinH
Sigil Developer

No immediate benefit for a typical epub. Although, if you were creating a compendium epub of multiple books, it might be much easier to create a book specific folder (one for each book in the compendium epub) so that there would be no name or path clashes to worry about.

I can think of a few other examples but not many.