Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #271
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You've also change the install location. Are you trying to run multiple versions of of Sigil at the same time and getting preferences folders crossed and confused?
At the same time, not. If I uninstall the previous version and then I install Sigil alpha, all is ok. But, if I install Sigil alpha in a new location (maintaining the previous one), and then I try running it (just the alpha version), I get all the error messages I posted.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #272
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
At the same time, not. If I uninstall the previous version and then I install Sigil alpha, all is ok. But, if I install Sigil alpha in a new location (maintaining the previous one), and then I try running it (just the alpha version), I get all the error messages I posted.
Hmmm. I've done the same thing (both installed in different locations, but only running the one) with no trouble. But then I also go to the trouble of launching the second Sigil with a batch file so I can set the environment variable that forces Sigil to use a different preferences location. Otherwise the two versions will share the same preferences. That's usually not a problem, but clearly there's some pathing stuff in your particular sigil INI settings that are not compatible with Sigil launched from an alternate location.

I'll try to track down what that me be, but it's probably not going to be a priority. Launching alternate, simultaneously-installed versions of Sigil without ensuring they use separate preference files is not really recommended. Some may never run into trouble, but your situation clearly shows there's always the potential for it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-11-2019 at 11:19 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #273
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
And as DiapDealer said earlier, this alpha release had many many bugs that has since been fixed in master. Some were a bit nasty. So I would wait for the next release.

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #274
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
And as DiapDealer said earlier, this alpha release had many many bugs that has since been fixed in master. Some were a bit nasty. So I would wait for the next release.

KevinH
Ok, I'll wait.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:40 AM   #275
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
I'm not sure if this has been fixed. I've noticed for a while on macOS, if I do not have Sigil open, and use a launcher such as LaunchBar or Alfred to send an EPUB to Sigil, at least some menu items such as Preferences are not initialized. Perhaps such would also occur if one dragged a file to the Sigil dock icon.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2019, 08:12 AM   #276
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No. Doulble-clicking on an epub to fire up Sigil and dragging and dropping an epub on the Sigil icon in the dock both work properly. As does using a command line open with the proper -app switch and path. So I am mot sure what exactly Alfred or Launchbar is doing,
Old 12-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #277
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

I'm not sure what's going on but it happens for me too if I drag an EPUB to the Sigil dock icon to have it open. In such cases, whether dragging to the dock icon or using a launcher, sometimes Sigil additionally initializes an EPUB template as it does when opening without any specific EPUB. The template shows the menu fine but if I close that and then switch to the opened EPUB, the Sigil menu behaves as mentioned. Seems it's just the Sigil menu that doesn't show up properly; same as if Sigil is open without any EPUB: About and Preferences are missing.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:10 PM   #278
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, the app menu is a bit flakey if you close a window, but never on launch. The flakiness of the App menu on a Window close has been worked around in Sigil master and will be in the next release.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #279
democrite
Evangelist

great.