Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Have I asked those few who are experiencing issues to run sigil with elevated permissions, yet? If not, please do so to just to rule it out. You should be able to right-click on the Sigil shortcut and select run as administrator.

If that doesn't produce any different results ... another thing to try is to install Sigil somewhere other than the default "Program Files". Uninstall sigil first and then when choosing where to install, choose somewhere in "My Documents" or somewhere else. The gist is to install it somewhere your user account has full permissions. I would also suggest changing where Sigil stores its temporary files (via Preferences, General Settings) to somewhere in My Documents as well, just to be sure.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #62
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Another trick is to create a new account and install it just in case something is set to autostart under your current account that is conflcting.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #63
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Hello, I'm adding my report to the memory usage category.

I had a standard - well produced ePub: 82 html files, largest is 42kb, epub size is 861kb.
When I open Sigil it uses about 150kb of memory. After editing for about an hour - F&R (no saved searches), and closing extra tabs after I open more than 5-6, I noticed Sigil was slowing down...it would take a little longer to highlight text when I double-clicked, and it would be slow to highlight when I drug the mouse. The memory usage was over 1.2GB.

I saved, closed Sigil, then reopened the same epub. Memory usage was back to 150kb.

Again after another hour of fairly light editing the memory usage was over 2.5GB and staying there. It fluctuates very slightly when I close a tab or save.

I just did a F&R that had 38 matches...I stepped through individually using the Replace/Find button and it went from 2.5GB to 3.3GB...sat there for about 2 minutes after I was done, then dropped down to 2.7GB.

I had a clean install of Sigil 64...sorry haven't tried 32bit yet.

I have no idea if that helps at all...

Windows10, version 1809, 64, i7-7700@3.6GHz, 16GB RAM
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #64
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@DiapDealer - I would avoid putting things in Documents, because unless you tell it not to Onedrive will auto-synch that folder to the MS cloud.

Might be better to create a fresh folder in the home folder e.g. c:\users\BR\SigilTest, and subfolders in that - e.g. c:\users\BR\SigilTest\Program and c:\users\BR\SigilTest\Temp. Safer to undo too, just nuke c:\users\BR\SigilTest\

@KevinH - on Windows you can set programs to auto-start for all users, the default location for the shortcuts is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp - so, check to ensure its empty.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #65
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@DiapDealer - I would avoid putting things in Documents, because unless you tell it not to Onedrive will auto-synch that folder to the MS cloud.
Even if you don't have an MS/OneDrive account and have disabled OneDrive? Are you saying that everyone doesn't get rid of OneDrive straight-away?

But I take your point. If you use OneDrive don't install Sigil to a folder that's being synced. sunked. sanked. I'm mainly looking for sigil to be installed to a place that isn't Program Files (or Program Files (x86)). And only temporarily.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-26-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Advert
Old 03-26-2019, 09:02 PM   #66
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Even if you don't have MS/OneDrive account and have disabled OneDrive?
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they made it so. They didn't seek my permission to start using the bandwidth I pay for and OD storage I pay for when they first started to do it (version 1809 I think).

BR
Old 03-26-2019, 11:46 PM   #67
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they made it so. They didn't seek my permission to start using the bandwidth I pay for and OD storage I pay for when they first started to do it (version 1809 I think).

BR
How could they possibly connect you to your data with no Microsoft login? OneDrive requires a login to work. And a disabled OneDrive can't sync my data even if I did have a Microsoft account linked to OneDrive. But as it is, none of my Windows 10 installations have an associated Microsoft account. *shrug*
Old 03-27-2019, 01:55 AM   #68
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

No idea. But when Windows is Activated online I believe it associates the CPU serial number (wmic bios get serialnumber) with the Windows license number. This gets recorded somewhere, because if you install the same license onto a different CPU you have to Activate via a telephone call. Wouldn't CPU serial number + Windows license key provide a 'fairly unique' id from which to create a 'virtual' MS account - for want of a better word?

My attitude is that if you activate a commercial OS license and outsource system management to the OS supplier via its update service, then to all intents and purposes you've given them carte-blanche permission to do whatever they please, whenever they please.

I'm also certain the Aussie and UK internal security outfits have me on their files. A few years ago the FBI/NSA vacuumed up my email account, along with Ed Snowden's, so I assume I'm on their books too. If I wasn't already via 5 eyes :lol:

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-27-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:47 AM   #69
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Hello, I'm adding my report to the memory usage category.
This sums up my own experience pretty well.
Quote:
I just did a F&R that had 38 matches...I stepped through individually using the Replace/Find button and it went from 2.5GB to 3.3GB...sat there for about 2 minutes after I was done, then dropped down to 2.7GB.
What you are not saying, but I'm willing to bet a beer on, is that you have the preview open, while doing your F&R/editing. (BTW spellcheck will do also)

If you will try the same process with the preview closed and just working with code-view, w/o changing to bookview, the memory footprint will stay low.

To me, several iterations thru xhtml files, in turn changing the content displayed in the preview, each adds 20 to 50 MB of mem-usage, easily summing up to several GB.
Yes, I hear you - some caching done and so on - so I will not draw any conclusion, but just state my experience.
Sincerely
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #70
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

There's never been a question that QtWebKit (and hence Preview/BookView) is going to consume the most resources whenever Sigil is running (that has always been the case on Windows). So it makes sense that only having Code View open will drastically reduce memory usage. We just need to figure out why its (Preview) memory use seems to be running rampant on some--but not seemingly not nearly a majority of all--machines.

It's frustrating to not be able to replicate it on any of the machines I have access to. I regex (a lot), I open lots of tabs (and leave them open), I spellcheck, I split, I merge, I mend, I report, I leave Sigil open for hours and occasionally return to more edits, and STILL I can't get Sigil's memory usage to even approach 1Gb. Not even half that. Even on the machine with an aging video card that I had accidentally applied Windows 7 compatibility properties to Sigil and was experiencing extreme sluggishness and black tooltip windows, I was never ever to get Sigil to even flirt with 500Mb of memory usage.

The machine I use at work is mediocre at best. An under-powered laptop with a video driver that's nearly two years old. And even it runs the latest Sigil like a champ.

So there's a puzzle piece missing. One that I've not given up hope can be discovered and worked around.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-27-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #71
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Ah - DiapDealer already replied ...

As there are Windows 10 installs that do not experience this issue (case in point DiapDealer's, BetterRed's etc), and no one on Linux or Mac that experiences this issue,
then there must either be a conflict with qtwebkit 5.212/Qt 5.11.2 and either your graphics driver or something else on your system. Or alternatively, a c++ runtime library mismatch of some kind for memory to leak so horribly?

No one is doubting it is happening for some Windows users.

The question is how to track down what is causing the Qt code to react that way on your system when it works as designed on other systems.

BetterRed talked about booting into safe mode to see if that helps. He uses a programto track down conflicts with kernel / system extensions. Have you tried that?

Have you tried installing it someplace outside of the Program Files official location?

Have you tried running it as administrator to see if the issue is priviledge related?

Have you tried updating your graphics driver?

Have you tried installing an updated c++ runtime library?

If any one of those help, that would help us narrow down what might be the issue Qt is having with your system.

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 03-27-2019 at 09:25 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #72
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Have you tried installing an updated c++ runtime library?
This just peaked my interest. On nearly all of the machines I test Sigil on, I'm using the VS2017 vc++ runtime. It's binary-compatible and is, in fact, considered the most recent version of the vc++ runtime for VS2015 (confusing, I know).

The reason I've been loathe to advise someone to upgrade to the VS2017 redistributable runtime is because it can't coincide with the older VS2015 redistributable. It will, in fact, replace the VS2015 redistributable in add/remove programs. This in itself is not an issue as any application that requires the VS2015 runtime will work with the VS2017 runtime. The problem is that some applications don't check the proper registry keys to see if a compatible runtime is already installed. This can result in specious warning messages about VS2015 runtime being required when installing certain applications.

So I'm waiting as long as I possibly can to start distributing the vs2017 runtime with Sigil to allow other application installer packages to "get it right."

So if someone wants to try the latest VS2017 runtime with Sigil to see if it resolves their issues, there is no real danger. The only thing that might happen is a hinky app that doesn't follow the rules won't install. And you can always uninstall the VS2017 runtime and reinstall the VS2015 runtime provided you don't have any applications that were compiled with the VS2017 toolchain and require the VS2017 runtime (they're not forward compatible). In which case, you'd already have/need the VS2017 runtime installed anyway.

In any case, now that I've confused the heck out of you with technobabble, feel free to download the VS2017 redistributable from Microsoft and try it. Make sure you get the one for the version of Sigil you installed (x86 vs x64) or just install both.

P.S. the VS2015 redistributable runtime can be difficult to find/download from Microsoft's site without an account (albeit a free one). If you would happen to need to roll back, just uninstall the VS2017 runtime and then reinstall Sigil. It will install the VS2015 runtime when it detects no compatible version is already installed

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-27-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:38 AM   #73
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I doubt the above will make any difference, though. I experience no performance difference between the older VS2015 runtime and the newer VS2017.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:49 PM   #74
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Latest C++ redestributable library here appears to be C++ 2015 (x64) - 14.0.24215

Not sure where it came from, it's one of those (far too many) items that had its install date updated to the date on which I installed Win 64 Pro version 1809 (2019-02-13) - grhhh.

Has anyone experiencing problems tried Kevin's suggestion to run Sigil from a fresh account (post #62), with my 'caveat' of ensuring C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp is empty (post #64).

Added : probably irrelevant, I have all the toolbars hidden

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-27-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:44 PM   #75
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
I had been experiencing an extreme slowdown in Sigil--but it may just be this computer; still I was able to roll back to 0.9.10 successfully. I'm not sure why, but I had made a backup of my Sigil preferences folder just minutes before I upgraded to 0.9.11--something that is not a normal procedure for me.

I'll check if this newly-reinstalled version solves the problems I've been seeing while awaiting 0.9.14. In the meantime, is there a way to turn off check for updates so it doesn't natter me about upgrading each time I start the program?

Thanks!
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote