Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #31
bravosx
Connoisseur
bravosx began at the beginning.

Device: Prestigio PER3464B, Onyx Lynx, Lenovo S5000 i Tab4-8"
On my Lenovo Z51-70 computer with an Intel Core 7i-5500U 2.40GHz processor and 8 GB RAM I have installed 64-bit Win 10 Home version 1803 and when I installed Sigil 0.9.13 also after a certain period of work I also started to feel a slowdown (similarly as during work in Sigil 0.9.11 and 0.9.12, maybe a little later and did not "devour" enough memory on the hard drive). After turning off and restarting the computer for some time the problem seems to disappear. However, after some time, there was a slowdown again, and sometimes even a complete lack of any reaction from the Sigil program.
Therefore, I returned to the Sigil 0.9.10 version and everything is as it should be (I do not feel any slowing down and "devouring" the memory on the disk.)
I apologize for my very poor English, but I am using a Google translator.
Thank you for your effort in developing my favorite program.

Greetings to all creators.

bravosx
bravosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #32
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
For the time being, please ensure that any bugs reported can be reproduced after a clean install of Sigil 0.9.13. "Clean" meaning the old version uninstalled and existing preferences removed (move them somewhere safe, for heaven's sake!) before installing 0.9.13.
I am happy to do this, but where do I find those preferences (ini files?). I see no candidates in the Program Files / Sigil folder, which mostly contains *.dlls, a few *.exes, and a couple epubs that probably shouldn't be there. Thanks!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I am happy to do this, but where do I find those preferences (ini files?). I see no candidates in the Program Files / Sigil folder, which mostly contains *.dlls, a few *.exes, and a couple epubs that probably shouldn't be there. Thanks!
https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...der-on-windows
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #34
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FWIW, On Mac OS X 10.13.6 with Sigil-0.9.13, I ran 10 different searches by copying and pasting from your rtf file of searches with replace alls while running on the Mac OSX "leaks" memory leak tracker.

There were no leaks reported for the Regex Search and Replace code at all.

But that did not mean that the memory footprint didn't grow. It did, and correctly because of the use of a QCache in PCRECache.cpp to store up to 100 compiled regular expressions which it does for speed reasons because regular expressions searches are often repeated.

That said, this cache is automatically cleared with the least most recently used regular expressions being removed and freed when the cache needs more space.

This is why I tried to stress not looking at the memory usage (footprint) but whether or not the memory footprint actually caused slowdowns and crashes.

Again, memory use went up and then back down and finally stabilized just a bit higher from when I started the search and replaces (which is accounted for by the cache).

So, at least on Mac OS X, I can not recreate any true memory leaks when using regular expression search and replaces.

That said, I could easily force the cache to hold less than 100 compiled regular expressions to help reduce the maximum memory footprint if people think that might be useful. Since each compiled regular expression does not actually take up much memory at all, this would not shrink the total memory footprint by that much.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #35
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Once the memory footprint approaches or exceeds 1gb, Sigil 0.9.13 starts to slow down and becomes unresponsive for several seconds, which gets worse and worse until I close and reopen Sigil. This is exactly what was happening with Sigil 0.9.12, so nothing has really changed with this version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Also, please understand the memory footprint will increase and decrease at times as it builds caches and things. With large books I can get the memory footprint to approach 500 meg but never the 1 gig and over that you are seeing.

That said, the issue is not the memory footprint, it is that this memory growth actually impacts your performance of the app in that is causes massive slowdowns and crashes.

Does this Sigil-0.9.13 still cause huge slowdowns and crashes that you reported earlier? Or is it just that the memory footprint seems to grow and not shrink for you.

Thanks,

KevinH
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #36
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, that is not good at all. I still have a hard time getting the memory footprint to get much over 500 meg with even the most complicated book with every single tab opened and with Preview enabled.

So something is different on some Windows machines than on Mac's or it is something you are doing that I have not tried yet.

Either way I will keep looking.

Thanks!

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
Once the memory footprint approaches or exceeds 1gb, Sigil 0.9.13 starts to slow down and becomes unresponsive for several seconds, which gets worse and worse until I close and reopen Sigil. This is exactly what was happening with Sigil 0.9.12, so nothing has really changed with this version.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #37
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm willing to bet it's something I'm doing. In any case, it's easy enough to close and reopen Sigil to reset everything back to baseline, so don't worry too much about it. And thanks to you and DiapDealer for all of your work (and patience).

Quote:
Well, that is not good at all. I
still have a hard time getting the memory footprint to get much over 500 meg with even the most complicated book with every single tab opened and with Preview enabled.

So something is different on some Windows machines than on Mac's or it is something you are doing that I have not tried yet.

Either way I will keep looking.

Thanks!

Kevin
Old 03-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question: do you use custom hunspell dictionaries for spellcheck?
Old 03-23-2019, 06:17 PM   #39
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Question: do you use custom hunspell dictionaries for spellcheck?
Nope. My Sigil setup is boringly standard. No custom anything, no saved searches, only 5 plugins (of which I regularly use just EpubCheck and Flight Crew).
Old 03-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks. Just checking. I had nothing specific in mind, but I know there's hooks into QtWebKit for hunspell spell-check highlighting. And this version of QtWebKit is new. It's something that could follow a user from machine to machine if the same spellcheck settings and custom dictionaries were involved.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Other than Sigil, is there a list of installed applications that are common to all of the machines? I'm not looking for an nventory or anything, just hoping there's a smaller subset of apps that are common to all the machines. I believe you mentioned three of them?

Would you be opposed to posting the contents of your systems' PATHs? Feel free to PM them if you like.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-23-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:24 PM   #42
Kiruhdu
Enthusiast
Kiruhdu began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Book Touch Lux 4
Hi

I had a crash of Sigil 0.9.13 yesterday, but it was the Complete edition of Stephen King's Dark Tower - all 8 books in one epub (in German - maybe in English there are more?) which has 7.244.659 bytes on my HD. That's my 'killer-epub'
At the same time I had a second instance of Sigil running with a 'normal' epub which wasn't affected in any way.
With all 'normal' books it works very well and fast for me(Win 10 V 1803, AMD-FX 8350 at 4 GHz, 32GB RAM)

Just report it for completeness-reasons...
Kiruhdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:43 AM   #43
asleyam
Enthusiast
asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.

Device: kindle voyage, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Also, please understand the memory footprint will increase and decrease at times as it builds caches and things. With large books I can get the memory footprint to approach 500 meg but never the 1 gig and over that you are seeing.
KevinH
I could get it to 9gb in a mac...

Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) Mohave 10.14.3

I used .12 with dark mode until .13 came out and updated with no issues (having first removed the .12 ini files)

After working on a large epub with several fonts and reports, clips, preview, special characters tabbed to the sigil window, left open for 5 days (mac in sleep mode at night) the memory was 9gb. I noticed no slow down. I would have just left it for several more days but wanted to see what memory it would start with by closing and reopening all the sigil windows. It is now 181MB, so it took 5 days of ‘left open’ use to rise to 9gb without affecting sigil performance. I am impressed.
asleyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:51 AM   #44
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Thanks, for your report. On Macs only ... under Qt 5.11.2 there is a native Window pointer that is leaked. This was long reported to Qt and Qt has fixed this leak in the Qt 5.12.2. As you said, it does not seem to impact performance or cause problems but it is nice to know this leak will be plugged in our next release that will include Qt 5.12.2.

That said, if someone does have a "killer epub" that would be helpful, would you please run the Sigil "Borkify" plugin on it to scramble the text (I think calibre can do the same thing) and post it someplace for us to test with via pm. It would be helpful especially in our memory leak testing.

Thanks,

KevinH
Old 03-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #45
KevinH
Sigil Developer

BTW, I have created a Sigil-0.9.13 with the just released Qt-5.12.2 plus a few extra bug fixes for Qt and Webkit and have opened a decent sized epub with it and let it sit open for 4 hours. When I left, it used up 283.0 Meg, when I returned to check it, it used 252.0 meg and has stayed that way ever since.

So Qt seems to have done a good job plugging that Mac only native window memory leak.