Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2014, 11:18 PM   #271
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
I've picked up an Oberon Kindle Touch case - fits inside well, but the straps are too tight, I feel. I'm taking it to my local saddlery place and having them move the rivets down aprox. 1/2 inch to see if that works.
Where is your saddlery place located? I doubt we have one in New York.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #272
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Where is your saddlery place located? I doubt we have one in New York.
I'm in Florida, but I'm betting if you check with a local shoe repair shop they can either do the work, or recommend someone. Our saddlery also handles shoe repair, luggage and leather goods care and ice skate sharpening (?!).
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #273
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athropos View Post
I've been using the official Kobo case for a few months and I noticed that cracks appeared on both top corners of the case.

It never fell, so my guess is that this is caused by the temperature variations due to winter (going outside, going into the train, going outside again...): The reader is so tightly inserted into the case that these variations may create tensions resulting in the plastic case cracking. Hopefully now that a little free space has been created by these cracks, they won't grow larger...

Anybody else seeing this?
You wont believe what just happened: my original sleep cover just cracked as described (but on the other corner, same side) lying on bedside table, near open window. I was lying in the bed and actually heard a crack... So it is clearly caused by temperature dilatation.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #274
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
I just checked mine and the corner is also cracked BUT mine is in a room of about 20C and without temperature fluctuation; and the reader has not been outside. Unbelievable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	119370  

Last edited by tlaine; 02-21-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: added picture
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #275
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaine View Post
I just checked mine and the corner is also cracked BUT mine is in a room of about 20C and without temperature fluctuation; and the reader has not been outside. Unbelievable.

This is the second recorded instance of this happening. This does not bode well for the type of plastic that was used.

I'm sorry to hear about this. Are you planning to ask for replacement?

I keep waffling back and forth from buying an Aura to an Aura HD, and this second instance just doesn't sit well with me.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #276
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I keep waffling back and forth from buying an Aura to an Aura HD, and this second instance just doesn't sit well with me.
Why would a crack in a sleepcover case cause you to worry about the device itself? If you're worried about the quality of the 'official' Kobo covers try one of the cheaper ones from eBay or Amazon. At least then if it does crack you can afford a new one and still have paid less.

Full disclosure - I have an AuraHD plus both the official cover (40 GBP) and an eBay one (16 GBP). I like the 'cheaper' one better. I think they're even cheaper now than when I bought mine. I also have an Aura6" with a Gecko Slimfit cover (28 GBP), not particularly cheap, but very nice indeed. Luckily, so far, there are no cracks in any of them
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #277
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Are you planning to ask for replacement?
Yes, I'll take the weekend to gear up before contacting them.

I'm more concerned that it's the reader causing the stress to crack the plastic. I specifically purchased the OEM cover so there wouldn't be problems.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #278
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Why would a crack in a sleepcover case cause you to worry about the device itself? If you're worried about the quality of the 'official' Kobo covers try one of the cheaper ones from eBay or Amazon. At least then if it does crack you can afford a new one and still have paid less.

Full disclosure - I have an AuraHD plus both the official cover (40 GBP) and an eBay one (16 GBP). I like the 'cheaper' one better. I think they're even cheaper now than when I bought mine. I also have an Aura6" with a Gecko Slimfit cover (28 GBP), not particularly cheap, but very nice indeed. Luckily, so far, there are no cracks in any of them

I misread that post, thinking it was the Reader that had the crack. I see now that it was the case that had developed a crack.

My mistake.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #279
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don:

The higher resolution of the Aura HD was the sole reason I snatched one, and it continues to be an exciting reader to use for that reason. There's something about fonts without jags that makes me love to read even more.

The official case is an entirely different matter: Overpriced and disappointing both aesthetically and in terms of the materials used. Sleekness is its one virtue.

This thread contains lots of useful alternatives to the official cover, some of them much better made than Kobo's and most offered at a fourth of the price. If you do get an Aura HD, you might want to return here when you're cover-shopping.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 02-23-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Syntax.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #280
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, Prestidigitweeze.

I'm tempted....

Yes, I see now that if I decide to get the Aura HD, that I will NOT buy the official case.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #281
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I ordered the $13 case on Amazon from coodio, in purple. It's the slim shell. The case I got with it (which is the $10 one on Amazon) is nice, but I prefer the slimmer style.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #282
dow
Addict
dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-505
After reading all of this, I think that I'm going to take a shot at making one with these instructions.

The only difference is that I'm going to try building up a back plate to go between the back cover of the book and the felt so that the aura HD will fit it exactly.
dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:38 AM   #283
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dow View Post
After reading all of this, I think that I'm going to take a shot at making one with these instructions.

The only difference is that I'm going to try building up a back plate to go between the back cover of the book and the felt so that the aura HD will fit it exactly.
Sounds like a worthy project. Let us know how it goes and post pictures if you can!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #284
dow
Addict
dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-505
Will do. Now I just need to find the time and the right book.
dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #285
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

My first choice would be Confessions of an English Opium Eater,* but don't let me talk you into anything!

=============
* That or The Vermiform Sea Ditty Harvesters of Torvath Twelve.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 03-18-2014 at 12:12 PM.