Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
NiaTrue
Edge User

I'm pretty annoyed that I can't use my eDGe for reading on the eink screen at the moment, but as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, I'd still buy the eDGe again--even knowing what I know now. My current tech problem is the unfortunate result of testing a theory to help tech support iron out a bug. Prior to that slip-up, my eDGe ran perfectly with no glitches.

The eDGe's ability to annotate PDFs doesn't really have a comparison in the market, when you add in all its other features. And the journal works perfectly for me. I use it everyday at the office for meetings. It's great to be able to take notes, including doodles, sketches, etc., and email them to meeting participants before they even put their coats on to leave the room.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #17
sarah11918
Edge User

Oh, and in case it wasn't clear, the only other thing to mention is that the edge doesn't have handwriting recognition/conversion. Again, if you search the forum (try "Evernote"), you'll see that people have figured out a system of levers and pulleys for getting handwriting information into Evernote. (Or is it OneNote? I always confuse the two.) But for what the machine does, as it stands now, journal pages can only be exported as pdfs. It takes another process (found on this forum somewhere) if you want to import into Evernote as an OCR'd file.

Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #18
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
Downside: depending on how the document was formatted, some files don't separate words/highlights in their own meta data very well, and that means getting exact highlights (starting and stopping on just exact text) can be tricky because whatever data the edge is reading to decide what is a separate word or line might be compromised. If I want exactly certain words highlighted only, I may have to try 2-3 times to get it the way I want it. More often, I use highlighting only to reference a particular place (not line of text) because it might never work out perfectly, so search the threads for "highlighting" and see what you get.
A clever work around for this was posted. You can set your stylus to "paint" and adjust the transparency to 70% or so, then just draw over the lines of text in the document. It requires no recognition of words by the software, so it works wonderfully (if you are the type who likes highlighting).

As for whether the device performs "flawlessly", I would say no. But, barely a "no". It works very, very well for everything I do. There are some hiccups every now and again, but, overall, it works exceedingly well.

Last edited by Dr. T; 03-23-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
fgruber
Edge User

If you convert the pdf of the journal to images and put it in evernote it will let you search your handwriting. Also there is a program made by one of the users (lutz) that allows you to convert the journal file directly into Onenote. This way you get not only handwriting search but also editability in Onenote.

Quote:
Oh, and in case it wasn't clear, the only other thing to mention is that the edge doesn't have handwriting recognition/conversion. Again, if you search the forum (try "Evernote"), you'll see that people have figured out a system of levers and pulleys for getting handwriting information into Evernote. (Or is it OneNote? I always confuse the two.) But for what the machine does, as it stands now, journal pages can only be exported as pdfs. It takes another process (found on this forum somewhere) if you want to import into Evernote as an OCR'd file.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #20
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
A clever work around for this was posted. You can set your stylus to "paint" and adjust the transparency to 40% or so, then just draw over the lines of text in the document. It requires no recognition of words by the software, so it works wonderfully (if you are the type who likes highlighting).
Excellent! I think I missed this.

I love us.

Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #21
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Excellent! I think I missed this.

I love us.
The love should go to Sjarrel for this post. I apologize for not finding it sooner.