Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
JTAL604622
Edge User

New Firmware

I am looking at picking up the edge and have a few quick questions...

dingo is version 2.1 or 2.0?

Is there going to be a hardware refresh sometime soon? I would have to buy and then a refresh comes out and im stuck...

I have a nook color rooted and i would use this to replace my againg ebook reader and pdf reader due to the great size....

Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Dr. T
Edge User

For what it is worth, the eDGe is currently running Android version 1.6. Froyo (version 2.2) is (supposedly) coming soon.

As for the hardware refresh, there has been some speculation by members of this Forum, but nothing from the administrators suggests that it will be happening anytime soon. In fact, nothing "new" was shown at CES this year.

Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
sarah11918
Edge User

My completely uninformed guess would be that with all the attention devoted to the awaited software (Android 2.2 and the e-ink features we keep requesting), there probably hasn't been much effort devoted to hardware considerations. But I could totally be wrong.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
thenzero
Edge User

I'm thinking it's one way or the other. Either they're actually working on a 2.x upgrade for the current products, or they're about to discontinue support and release new products. As you rightly point out, they probably don't have the manpower to be doing both. I hope it's the former, but the dwindling supplies of the current models on Amazon (they're all almost out of stock), and the much larger profit incentive from selling new products makes me suspect it might be the latter. *fingers crossed*

Old 03-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
thenzero
Edge User

p.s. The most convincing argument that they are in fact working on a new software release is, as Dr. T points out, that they showed the same stuff at CES this year as last. However, that could be because they're trying to exhaust supplies of the current models and don't want people to be scared off by an upcoming "hardware refresh" as the original poster mentions.

Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenzero View Post
I hope it's the former, but the dwindling supplies of the current models on Amazon (they're all almost out of stock)...
Hmmm... that is interesting. Walmart is out of stock also, and it has been removed from BestBuy's and HSN's websites. Other retailers like Staples, J and R, and the enTourage site itself seem to have them available.

This is a little concerning...

Old 03-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
borisb
Edge User

Not necessarily. TigerDirect.ca had it as "Not Available" for about a week, but it came back into stock recently. It could just be a new batch has been received from manufacturing and is making its way onto shelves.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
borisb
Edge User

I just checked TigerDirect.ca again and it now says "Available While Supplies Last". The explanatory popup says this means they have a limited quantity and once sold out may not get more.

Glass Half Full: There's an imminent hardware refresh and they want to clear out existing inventory (always a good thing for a company to do).
Glass Half Empty: TigerDirect.ca will no longer be carrying the PE (not a good thing )

Rest assured enTourage will not be telling us anything about the situation

Old 03-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
sjarrel
Edge User

I just checked the Dutch website. There were 5 or 6 original resellers. Now there are only 2 left.
prices are dropping: € 639 - 599 - 579 - 546 - 509 - 475.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
StevenP
Edge User

I was just thinking to myself, "Gee, it's March and it'd be nice to hear some update regarding Froyo." Then I read this thread and I'm just hoping that Entourage isn't closing shop. A little doomer of me, but the competition is pretty fierce out there.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenP View Post
I was just thinking to myself, "Gee, it's March and it'd be nice to hear some update regarding Froyo."
bmoc originally said end of February at the earliest, but likely in March. Then they had the setback regarding some partner. Given this, I won't be asking for an update until the end of April.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #12
Corpulent One
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenzero View Post
p.s. The most convincing argument that they are in fact working on a new software release is, as Dr. T points out, that they showed the same stuff at CES this year as last.
Pretty sure they didn't show the Pocket Edge at CES 2010.

But Amazon says "more on the way" after the low - stock warning. I'm not sure if that's what it always says or actually means they're expecting to buy more.

Last edited by Corpulent One; 03-08-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
thenzero
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpulent One View Post

But Amazon says "more on the way" after the low - stock warning. I'm not sure if that's what it always says or actually means they're expecting to buy more.
I'm not sure either, but I do know that it has said that for the last two months, and since I've been watching, the numbers have only gone down.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
thenzero
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpulent One View Post
Oh, right you are. I think the gist of the argument is still valid though- they didn't show anything new at CES 2011, and that lends one to think there isn't anything in the immediate pipeline.

Let's all hope that this isn't another iRex type situation.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #15
thenzero
Edge User

Bottom line for original poster: Wait at least another month before making this purchase.