Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #16
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Many of the Ngaio Marsh books are available in Canada from Kobo ... but at net CAN$13.35 each. I'm not sure what HarperCollins is smoking with this marketing gambit.

On the other hand, many of the Ngaio Marsh books are availalbe in Canada from Amazon ... at net US$7.68 each ... and the Canadian dollar is currently worth MORE than the US dollar. Same ebooks, same HarperCollins ... 45% cheaper.

And, not to put too fine a point on it, the adventurous might find the entire series lurking under an e-rock with a little e-digging ....

Another note: H R F Keating's Inspector Ghote is set for re-release by Penguin in handsome new editions beginning in April. Hopefully there will be e-editions of those at some reasonable price. They, too, are set in India. A note about the release is here: http://hrfkeating.com/news-discussion/

Last edited by SensualPoet; 02-20-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: added note about Keating
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #17
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Love Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody and others), tried Donna Leon's Commissario Guido Brunetti series and find the books leave me depressed after reading - I like my books to make me laugh and lift up my spirits (smile).

Here's an author I don't see much mentioned in the USA but his Inspector Montalbano series set in the fictional town of Vigata, Italy has become one of my all-time favourites. The antics and speech of of the Catarella character usually has me in hysterics, and the descriptions of Salvo's meals make me want to rush to the kitchen and start cooking!

Andrea Camilleri - Inspector Montalbano
B&N Nookbooks
http://productsearch.barnesandnoble....g=False&ugrp=1
Kindle Store
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...leri&x=18&y=24

Another one to consider: H.R.F. Keating - Inspector Ghote series set in Bombay, India. I haven't found any ebook versions but some are available in audiobook format (and print of course).
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #18
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Try Lyndsey Davis' Marcus Falco series. He's a PI in ancient Rome. Also Umberto Eco who is Italian. Especially good is The Name of the Rose

Also the Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters. These are mysteries set in the 1100's in Britain. And The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series

Last edited by MickeyC; 02-20-2011 at 06:24 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #19
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith - former USSR
Havana Bay by Martin Cruz Smith - Cuba
Wolves Eat Dogs Martin Cruz Smith - partially in Russia, but mostly in the 30 km exclusion zone around the site of the Chernobyl nuclear reactor disaster (how does that one grab you?!?!)
Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg - Denmark and Greenland
The Quiet American by Graham Greene - Vietnam in 1952
The Comedians by Graham Greene - Haiti in 1965
Ripley's Game by Patricia Highsmith - France, Italy, and Germany (if I remember correctly)
Theft by Peter Carey - mostly Australia, but a bit in New York
The Little Drummer Girl by John le Carré - espionage, not mystery, set in the Middle East
Angels of Russia by Patricia le Roy - espionage, not mystery, set in the former USSR and in France
March Violets by Philip Kerr - Germany in 1936

That's a start. I'll write more if I can think of any.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
The Series about Dr. Siri Paiboun by Colin Cotterill (as a starter "The Coroner's Lunch") is playing in Laos.

The Books by Asa Larsson (starting with "Sun Storm") are playing in the northern part of Sweden

Yrsa Sigurdardottir writes about crimes happening in Iceland

Last edited by lila55; 02-21-2011 at 02:17 PM.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #21
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True. There's a shed-load of them available in the Amazon UK Kindle Store.

EDIT: Counting them, it appears that 26 of her 32 novels are available in the UK Kindle store.
Sony store has them.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do they also have 26?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #23
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
Slowrain beat me to Martin Cruz Smith and others as we share similar tastes. Nice job! As mentioned, Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther series is set in 1930s-50s Germany and a little in South America.

Staying in 1930s-40s Germany, there's also Rebecca Cantrell's series beginning with A Trace of Smoke; and David Downing's starting with Silesian Station, which leans more toward espionage/mystery.

For more espionage/mystery, there's Olen Steinhauer's series set in Cold War Central Europe, but I've never read him outside of his recent The Tourist, which didn't quite do it for me. Slowrain, maybe you have?

In the same vein there's also the underrated master Charles McCarry, whose novels carry you all over the world.

I'll stop there. For now.

Steve
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I haven't read any of these series, but they're on my list of things to check out...

Reykjavik Murder Mysteries by Arnaldur Indriðason - Iceland

Patrik Hedstrom series by Camilla Läckberg - Sweden

Inspector Van Veeteren series by Håkan Nesser - Sweden

Detective Inspector Huss series by Helene Tursten - Sweden

Inspector Vaara by James Thompson - Finland
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #25
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Steve: No, I haven't read Steinhauer yet. The Tourist doesn't interest me as much as the Yalta Boulevard Sequence you mentioned (that's the author's unofficial way of referring to those books).

I should maybe amend my above post to say that The Quiet American is more espionage than mystery, and The Comedians would be more thriller, I guess, than mystery.

December 6 by Martin Cruz Smith (aka Tokyo Station) - Japan in 1941

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett - a hostage situation in an unnamed South American country, but the events were drawn from a real-life story in Lima, Peru. However, it's more Gabriel García Márquez Love in the Time of Cholera than Tom Clancy Rainbow Six.

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco - a monastery in Italy in the 14th century. It's a bit dense with all the religious and political talk, but the library is certainly fascinating--certainly more interesting than the murders.

The Honourary Consul by Graham Greene - a kidnapping in an unnamed South American country

I'm going to steal another one from Steve: Alan Furst's World War 2 espionage thrillers. But I fear I'm getting too far into espionage and thriller territory and straying from your mystery requirement.

Last edited by SlowRain; 02-22-2011 at 01:50 AM.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #26
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
How could I forget about Alan Furst? Thanks for adding him, SlowRain.
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #27
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
you can read jean christophe grange books
in some of books you feel that you are walking on france city streets
and some books place in turkey
there are a lot of books being place in turkey
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #28
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
The Honourary Consul by Graham Greene - a kidnapping in an unnamed South American country
Not an unnamed south american country... in an unnamed city in the north of Argentina!!!
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #29
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Vicky Tyley: mysteries set in Australia
http://www.vickityley.com/fl.html
Her most recent novel (Fatal Liaison) is discounted to $0.99 for a limited time.
She's also a member here.

Last edited by Pablo; 10-30-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #30
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Manuel Vazquez Montalban. His Pepe Carvalho Mysteries take place in Barcelona.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote