Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #1
hybridfiat
hybridfiat will become famous soon enoughhybridfiat will become famous soon enoughhybridfiat will become famous soon enoughhybridfiat will become famous soon enoughhybridfiat will become famous soon enoughhybridfiat will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Library for Kindle

Im new to this so forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere.
Is it possible to get a ready collated 'starter' library of books for Kindle?
hybridfiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Yes you would indeed think that some kind soul has assembled and tweaked for Kindle some of the classics which are freely available from Gutenberg and may be freely distributed. Would be nice to have such a 'Classics of Literature' starter pack!

There are indeed collections to be found online like the BBC Readers Top 100 poll, or 1001 Books To Read Before You Die, but these feature a lot of pirated contemporary books, which is not to everyone's moral taste...
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
There are some lovely free books for your Kindle here at mobileread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=128

But no starter pack. I don't know of any starter packs as such. But I'm sure you can get some help on what books to start with in the Reading Recommendations forum here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Enjoy your Kindle
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
There are quite a few collections available in the Kindle store. Tpically, you get 30 or 50 books for just a few dollars.

Try searching for "complete collection" or "greatest hits". It will give you things like "The Pulitzer Prize Collection (13 books)" or "The Ultimate Collection of American Short Stories (100+ Stories)".

But note that most of these seem to have been put together in a hurry, and the formatting is often poor. There might be no ToC, and sometimes not even a page break between the books. Check the reviews.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
To expand on what TheKindleWorm posted you can download MobleRead's MobiPocket Download Guide. It's a "book" you put on your Kindle (in the documents folder) that has descriptions and links to all the free mobi versions of books in the MR Patricia Clark library. With your Kindle's wireless turned on, you just click on a title and it will download to your Kindle. Each book has been formatted and error corrected by MobileRead members, so you will get a high quality ebook (for FREE).

A similar guide for Kindles can also be found at Feedbooks.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, hybridfiat.

Click on my 'library' link below for a little help in getting started downloading books from here.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
hybridfiat
hybridfiat will become famous soon enoughhybridfiat will become famous soon enoughhybridfiat will become famous soon enoughhybridfiat will become famous soon enoughhybridfiat will become famous soon enoughhybridfiat will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Hi, thanks for all the good info.
Sorry it takes so long to reply. I only have access to the putor at work as I live and work on a remote mine site in the middle of Australia.
No libraries here
hybridfiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I've never understood why Amazon doesn't do this, have 100 pre-loaded classics.

I can only assume it's because that would dissuade people from buying a book when they first get their Kindle, and most of the "classics" on Amazon have numerous pay versions (which is slimy but makes money for Amazon)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post

I can only assume it's because that would dissuade people from buying a book when they first get their Kindle, and most of the "classics" on Amazon have numerous pay versions (which is slimy but makes money for Amazon)
I'm glad they don't. It's like getting a bunch of programs you don't want and will never use on a new computer. *I* want to choose which books go on my Kindles.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post

You probably wouldn't enjoy the reading experience of the pre-loaded versions......

It takes a little finessing to make them readable, checking for errors, extra pages, etc.

Thats why we have such a wonderful library here.......our members do a fantastic job formatting books.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote